Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Peddle
  • molgrips
    Free Member

– Peddle means to sell something, often something cheap and on a casual basis e.g. door to door; and by association implies something of dubious quality.

– Pedal is what we should be doing on our bikes.

Just thought I’d clear that up – thanks for listening.

slowoldman

See also
    Brakes/Breaks
    Axle/Axel

Plus many others no doubt.

molgrips
    Free Member

Peddle/pedal seems to be the most common one on here by far, somewhat ironically.

You’d think MTBers would understand pedalling. I blame e-bikes.

fasthaggis

Morgrips/Molgrips

doris5000

NAIL MEET HEAD

simples

onehundredthidiot

Lgrips? Sorry poor chemistry joke.

longdog
    Free Member

Bridle/bridal in relation to the gate annoys me, but also makes me laugh at the thought of a gate for weddings, but then there’s kissing gates (for the engagement?)…

johnners
    Free Member

Peddle/pedal seems to be the most common one on here by far

I’d say it’s loose/lose but that may just be my confirmation bias.

sirromj

What tires for grammar pedants?

tjagain

Ok mr locking vice grips

Rubber_Buccaneer

– Peddle means to sell something, often something cheap and on a casual basis e.g. door to door; and by association implies something of dubious quality.

– Pedal is what we should be doing on our bikes.

Just thought I’d clear that up – thanks for listening.

Also rhyming slang according to Steve Jones’ autobiography.  In fact I’m just off for a quick pedal now 😉

Superficial
    Free Member

What tires for grammar pedants?

Oooh, well done.

cakefacesmallblock

It’s a fork.

tjagain

Also all full sus bikes have a swinging fork rear not a swinging arm. Swinging arm is one sided.

tjagain

slowoldman

Bridle/bridal in relation to the gate annoys me, but also makes me laugh at the thought of a gate for weddings, but then there’s kissing gates (for the engagement?)…

Also bridleway for horses and bridal way for, er… Maybe it’s a path to the church.

tjagain

I have seen toepath for the path along a canal recently more than once. Arrrgghhhh!

Rubber_Buccaneer

^ If you can have a footpath why not a toepath?

fruitbat

What about draw instead of drawer? e.g. Top draw. Knicker draw. Sock draw. 😊

submarined
    Free Member

I used to be a grammar pedant, then I realised that some people just aren’t great at spelling, and picking upon them to try and make one feel superior is a bit of a nasty trait. Everyone had there strengths and weaknesses. There’s bigger things to worry about in life – we all make mistakes, Try and be nice, makes the world a better place. *Shrugs*.

tjagain

Just to be correct. Spelling and grammar are two different things. You can be rubbish at spelling and still have good grammar

ayjaydoubleyou

There’s sloppiness, fat fingered typos, and autocorrect. I’m happy to let them slide.

But then there are things where people are just plain wrong, or worse, needlessly superfluous.

Front forks, frame set, ride out, swap out.

molgrips
    Free Member

@submarined I’m not singling anyone out which is why this is just a silly thread, but the rate at which it comes up I think some people may not actually know.

This is also a self-deprecating thread since being a grammar pedant is not something to be proud of, no-one should think it makes them look good 🙂

needlessly superfluous

Like ‘off of’ as in ‘take your feet off of the table’. No-one says ‘on of’ do they? Put your coat on of the hook? No.

greyspoke
    Free Member

They are tines

Rubber_Buccaneer

Put your coat on of the hook?

No one says that but it would be more better if they did

Rubber_Buccaneer

@submarined I’m not

getting the joke 😀

augustuswindsock

I should of guessed this thread wouldn’t end well!

dyna-ti

Boring/boring
    One is to bore a hole in something.

oldnick

I defiantly won’t comment on this thread.

dovebiker

Anyone who suffers a ‘puncher’ out on a ride deserves what they get 😉
    I’ve never encountered a pugilist on a ride, ever.

Superficial
    Free Member

needlessly superfluous

This is an excellent troll. Well done.

kayla1
    Free Member

I would of brought my bike to peddle along this bridalway but it has a puncher.

vinnyeh

The electric/electricity
    Faze/phase
    Crack/craic

fasthaggis

Trolling/Trawling

Rubber_Buccaneer

I would of brought my bike to peddle along this bridalway

If I’d been their I’d of brought it off you

dannyh
    Free Member

needlessly superfluous

Post of the year so far. That is to say the year is not yet over, so there could be a better one between now and 23:59:59 31/12/21 (UK date format). Ignoring the grey area of that last second for convenience.

Nitpicking pedantry, eh?

😉

onewheelgood

If I’d been their I’d of brought it off you

If their was less people there I’d of stole it off of you

antigee

lots of bike breaks are hydrolic nowadays…whoops forget to add in the redundant “said”
    …lots of said bike breaks are hydrolic…that’s how its done

will own up to having a copy of Eric Partridge’s Usage & Abusage on the shelf in front of me but pretty sure overtime stuff will change to reflect common usage…simple errors by journalists do annoy me though

5plusn8
    Free Member

I love this thread, however I have some sympathy. Typing and social media need for speedy response leads to mistakes and wierd errors.
    a) I seem to have tyeplexia, where I get my letters mixed up, I never do this when writing by hand. I also put spaces in the wrong places. It is a wierd thing about timing between left and right hand I think.
    b) I also type won instead of one and there instead of their etc, but never ever do this when writing. I think this is to do with not being a very good typist so I am looking at the keyboard and not the screen.

However peddle, breaks and all the others, I think show a lack of reading. According to my daughters primary teacher, who did a PHD in how kids read, reading books helps to cement spelling, and teach new words. So peddle, breaks, axel etc are probably people who are less well read and have only heard these words in the playground etc.
    This is forgivable as it means that somewhere along the line the system/parents/skool failed them.

ayjaydoubleyou

I’ve said needlessly superfluous for years (deliberately), and nobody has called it out before. That makes me happy about this place.

Like ‘off of’ as in ‘take your feet off of the table’. No-one says ‘on of’ do they? Put your coat on of the hook? No.

My missus has taken to the phrase “wipe down” for things like the kitchen counter. Its a horizontal surface, there is no component of my wiping which can be considered to be in the vertical direction. Just “wipe” would suffice.

When I mention this, I am apparently just trying to get out of tidying up. And that leads to further argument.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Peddle’ is closed to new replies.