Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Pedals….Vaults or is there anything better?
  • ready

Apologies if it’s been done before, but are they the best grip out there at the moment? Is there a big difference between vaults, v12, v8s etc?

Northwind

I wasn’t really sold on the vault, but they’re very big if that’s what you want. I didn’t find them any better than a cheap nano tbh.

RSP FTW on the main bike now- they’re thinner and lighter, no less grippy, but a smaller platform. Still not sure about longevity, one needed a service fairly quick which isn’t a good sign but no bother since.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I’m just waiting for some Blackspire Sub 4’s to turn up. Look alright. Price was good. Was sold on full width axles (but in reality, no idea if they’re any better or worse than others)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    strangey13
    Free Member

Nukeproof Horizons have been good so far for me, nice and wide and grippy.

longmover
    Free Member

Deity Decoy, well made, good bearings and grippy. I haven’t tried vaults but I find v8 and v12 pedals and their many clones flip over under foot

chrishc777
    Free Member

My mates all rave about Vaults, never had any trouble with mag v8 copies but now have some vaults fitted, they look and feel awesome on the driveway! First ride tonight

zelak999
    Free Member

Burgtec Penthouse MKiv are nice pedals but the price tag is big.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Love my vaults, but I had a bit of a job getting service kits for them.

Tried hopes f20’s – didnt like them
    had v8’s – no where near as grippy
    had v12’s – nice pedal, would have again.

All IMO 🙂

tor5
    Free Member

Chromag scarabs – thin, grippy, big platform, durable, bling, pricey

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vaults are very good, I can feel the axle through my five10’s on the nano’s, but not on the vaults. Super grippy and a nice wide platform for my size 10s.

A lot of the skinnier pedals have bearings mounted outside the pedal body, a complete no goer for me.

sillyoldman

Gamut Podiums are rather lovely.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Raceface High Atlas here on the YT – love them.
    Wide, thin, no axle intrusion and bearings are lovely and tight,

chiefgrooveguru

They really are very good. Super grippy stable platform. I’ve fitted some Pedalling Innovations Catalysts (which are improbably gigantic) as an experiment and they’re even better for putting the power down but not as grippy due to the less concave shape – I actually lost a pedal a couple of times last week and I literally can’t remember the last time that happened with the Vaults.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Great pedal, prefer them over the SS options because they are a bit more concave. Nice size too.

The Burgtec ran too close to the crank for me, I found I got too much contact.

I would have tried the new Nukeproof Horizon’s but couldn’t find any available at the time so got some cheap, secondhand Vaults. Got lucky as the seller didn’t realise they had Ti axles. Having snapped a couple before I’ll see how long they last 🙂

allan23
    Free Member

Another vote for Deity Decoy, they’ve been great on my bikes. I’m not the most pedal punishing of riders though so my experience may be limited.
    I have tried Vaults and they were very grippy, Decoys were cheaper when I needed to buy though.

grum
    Free Member

I really like my Vaults – not sure they are twice as good as the SS Nanos they replaced but I had to have blinder pedals on my new bike. 🙂

honourablegeorge

Big group test on flat pedals here. Vaults came out on top.They did criticise the price, but they’re far from the most expensive tested.

Can’t say I disagree, run three sets of them. Only had to strip and regrease one in that time.

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/flat-pedal-group-test/

honourablegeorge

sillyoldman – Member
    Gamut Podiums are rather lovely.

The old podiums were lovely too, but they had TINY bearings in them, which literally turned to dust. They’re jsut too thin to run bearings inside.

grum
    Free Member

*blingier

sillyoldman

That’s one of the aspects that’s been re-designed in the Gamut version I believe. 4 bearings per pedal with way better sealing than the Point One version.

hatter

And they’re 120 grams lighter than the Vaults.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

IGMC.. 😉

grum
    Free Member

I’ve already got it for you, off you go.

honourablegeorge

sillyoldman – Member
    That’s one of the aspects that’s been re-designed in the Gamut version I believe. 4 bearings per pedal with way better sealing than the Point One version.

Old ones had 4 bearings too – 1 big one by the crank, and a row of 3 stupidly tiny ones at the other end. Not sure the new ones have changed that design enough. It wasn’t really a sealing problem, they were just too small

Edit – these are the new bearings – they are a little bigger, at the expense of a bulge at the end of the axle, which I don’t like the look of. Still think they’re on the small side.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve been through a few different sets over the past few years currently using superstar delta evo, reasonable thickness, slight concave, good grip and bearings seems sensible size.

alexh
    Free Member

Vaults were really what I wanted but at that time I could not justify the cost. I was really just thinking about coming back to flats to improve my confidence on the muddy as hell, steep tech riding at bringewood.

I got some pedals from exotic cycles, plenty of pins in the right places, thin, slightly concave, which are even gripper than my moove component ultra thins.

Bearing life? Who knows but at mid 30 pounds I’m not expecting much. I’m using flats whilst the mud is around but I’ll probably switch back to spd’s when I’m a bit more certain on how the ground beneath me behaves.

jamj1974

I’ve only ridden up and down the road but my Boomslangs feel pretty good so far.

Alex

I like the Superstar Delta Mag – thin and light although not that durable. Ruined a pair riding 10 days in a very rocky part of France (bike has a low BB). Nano’s are fine but the first UK set I had went back due to rubbish machining.

For cost/value hard to beat the Uberbike Hammerheads (when they get more stock). £45 – grippy, very hard wearing, bearings seem pretty good and loads of colours. Tried a mate’s bike with the vault, felt nice – if big – but nothing special.

benp1

The V12s are relatively new, better than the V12s of old. More like a Vault than a V8

I have V12s on my hardtail and SS Nanos on my rigid single speed

Both good, but quite a big difference in price

roverpig

Vaults are very grippy (with FiveTen shoes). Too grippy for my tastes to be honest. I prefer my Hope F20s (with some customisation of the pins) on the other bike. But if you want lots of grip it’s hard to fault the vaults.

legend
    Free Member

I prefer my Hope F20s (with some customisation of the pins) on the other bike

Do tell. I’ve got F20s, have been running them for a year or so now, but still find them a bit ‘meh’

roverpig

Oh, it’s nothing too fancy and I got the idea from somebody on here (sorry, forgot who), so it’s not even original 🙂

I got one pack of the hollow pins (e.g. from CRC ). These are more grippy than the original solid pins. There are not enough in a pack to replace all the pins, but I didn’t want to anyway.

I removed the two pins in the middle of the pedal altogether (to make it a bit more concave) and replaced some of the pins on the edge with the hollow ones. Feels about right to me now, but YMMV of course.

daver27
    Free Member

Never understood the love for Vaults or any DMR pedal. they’ve always failed in very short order (some on the first ride)
    I highly rate the Specialized Boomslang, utterly brilliant pedal that flat out refuses to break or develop any play after months and months of use.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Syntace No9 Titan are extremely good but eyewateringly expensive if you’re paying RRP.

Vaults are almost on a par with them but a bit more fragile IME and don’t stand up to impacts well (I’ve bent axles and ripped pins out too often)

For durability and value for money, I’d be hard pressed to look past Superstar Nanos. Not as big and grippy as the Syntace or Vault but not bad.

willard

V12s here, although I was after Vaults as my first choice. Sadly, the LBS was out of stock and I needed them in a hurry, so went for V12s instead. Plenty big enough and grippy enough for my requirements.

legend
    Free Member

I removed the two pins in the middle of the pedal altogether (to make it a bit more concave) and replaced some of the pins on the edge with the hollow ones. Feels about right to me now, but YMMV of course.

I had a feeling you might’ve done something like that. I wish they had another pin on the outside edge. Extra pin there and get rid of the two in the middle and I reckon they’d be spot on

honourablegeorge

daver27 – Member
    Never understood the love for Vaults or any DMR pedal. they’ve always failed in very short order (some on the first ride)

My oldest set is from 2011, newest is 2013… all still perfect.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Pedals….Vaults or is there anything better?’ is closed to new replies.