Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Pedals for trail type spd shoes?
  • cinnamon_girl

I’m using some very comfy Cannondale shoes on my cx, similar to this:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/mtb-apparel-and-protection/shoes/cannondale/roam/prd_415892_144crx.aspx

The cleat is recessed and I’ve been using them with Eggbeaters plus a shim. It’s becoming painful due to the Eggbeaters, not the shoes.

Are there any other pedals that would work happily with this type of shoe? In addition I do need to be able to walk up hills so ideally wouldn’t need to put cleat covers on.

Thanks. 🙂

Edit: haven’t ruled out the possibility that the sole just isn’t stiff enough.

Deveron53
    Free Member

The cheapo M530s will work great, I use mine with the big walking boot style MT91 shoes. They are semi platform but don’t touch the boot soles much, the extra bits just aid in flipping the pedal for fast entry and a bit of support when not quite clipped in.

wwaswas

I use Candy’s – if you like the eggbeater float and engagement then they’re the same but with more support across your foot.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the replies chaps. 🙂

How do the Candy’s stand up to use, ie do I need to service them every week?

Will take a look at the Shimano’s.

mtbfix

I have just switched to 530s and 540s on my bikes after a decade on CB Candies. Very happy with them on my Spec Rimes.

ThePinkster

If you’re after something a bit more burly those shoes look like they’d work OK with my favourite pedals – Time Z-Controls.

They’re not the lightest in the world but they’re near indestructible. Been using them for years and not killed them (or their bearings) yet.

Very joint friendly too if you’ve got dodgy knees.

Deveron53
    Free Member

The Shimano M530 pedals are less than £20 including cleats. I’ve had mine a year so far and Strava tells me I’ve done at least 1200 off road miles. They still work perfectly. Bearings fine. I’ve never had any trouble clipping in/out. I always pop out when I crash, I sometimes pop out of the pedal when the side of my foot hits a rock.
    Buy them. If you don’t like them, throw them away or sell them to me for £15 posted!

Crank Bros Mallet 2’s – I use them with Shimano MT91 boots

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

XT trail pedals are great.Use them on a few bikes.

Shackleton

Time X-rocs. Tough, supportive, light for what they are and last ages.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I use Time Pedals and my MTB shoes have grips either side of the cleat and have no problems with them. Again, two sets of pedals and they’ve been completely flawless in all conditions. Completely unaffected by mud and the bearings run as smooth as they day I got them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I’ve got 2 sets of times for sale, a pair of Freeride controls, and a pair of Z storms. Well used, but in right good order, and cheap.

email in profile.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

New candy 3’s over a year in and not touched them once, new mallets the same – did a service at 18 months and been fine since. Service takes 10 mins these days with the new design.

Means you can keep your cleats and compatibility with other bikes if you have CB on them.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Pedals for trail type spd shoes?’ is closed to new replies.