Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)
  • Pedals – clipless vs flats
  • BearBack
    Free Member

For me the good points about flats are being able to move about on the bike more and being more dynamic.

I’d agree with that as far as shimano spd goes vs flat pedals with any old shoes go. but if you ride flats with 5:10’s I find that i’m not going to be able to move my foot in any direction once i’ve put my foot on the pedal.

I’ve been riding crankbrothers for the last 5 years after shimano destroyed my knees. The additional float that you get from crankbros pedals is superb. I even swapped my cleats to give me even more float and its amazing just how much lateral movement you get.

Shimano float ~6 deg, crankbros float upto 20deg. 5:10 on flats float ~zero i reckon 😉

I’d still recommend spd’s to beginners (riders new to clipless) as the positive in/out feel/noise is great so you know whats going on, but once figured, other systems offer many more benefits imo.

VanHalen

been dabbling with clips for the last year for the first time in 15+years on flats.

if you want to go back and try and ride that sketchy line a few more times; ‘get ‘er a bit sideways’; or try that riding dodgy woodwork then flats.

if you dont want to go back and play on fun bits but just want to mile munch then clips are the way forward.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

I’ve been riding with flats now for my first 2 years of serious off road biking and I think almost all of my pedal related lower leg injuries have been from snagging them on the pedals whilst pushing the bike.

One thing I’m curious about is do spd’s give you much more power? I sometimes struggle to keep up with friends (who all use spd’s apart from one who’s a super fit single speeder) on longer rides so wondering if it would be worth changing? Are there any stats on how much more efficient spd’s are?

b17
    Free Member

for the people worried about their shins with flats – the biggest shin injury I’ve seen came from spds…

flow
    Free Member

Think about it like this.

No mater what anyone tells you you can’t spin properly with flat pedals, you can only push. This means you are pretty much only using your quads and a little bit of calf muscle.

Sit in a chair and push on the floor, see what muscles tense up.

With spd’s, if you clip one foot in (for arguments sake), you can pedal in a circle using all of your available leg muscles, glutes, calves, hamstrings and quads because you are both pushing and pulling.

I don’t have the stats but I would say SPD’s are roughly 40% more efficient than flats given the muscle groups utilised.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Thats good to hear Flow, I think I’ll try spd’s soon. One reason I’ve stuck with flats is that it’s suppose to promote good riding technique (According to Brian Lopes anyway and he’s quite handy on a bike) as you learn how to bunny hop well as you can’t just lift the bike with your legs.

flow
    Free Member

In his book mastering mountain bike skills, I think there is a diagram explaining what I said.

jimjam
    Free Member

flow

I don’t have the stats

Now there’s a surprise. My bullsh*t detector is tingling….

flow

but I would say SPD’s are roughly 40% more efficient than flats given the muscle groups utilised.

…ah there it is. Stats or GTFO.

flow
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect you to remotely understand anything I wrote up there dipsh*t. If you don’t have anything constructive to say keep it shut.

Like I said GiantJaunt, have a look in his book if you have it, there is a whole section on the pros and cons of both.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

Yeah flow that’s the one. Maybe I should have a look at it!

jimjam
    Free Member

low – Member

I wouldn’t expect you to remotely understand anything I wrote up there

I understand someone pulling figures from their ass just fine thanks. You seem awfully agitated that someone would even dare question your mighty statistic generating ability.

If you don’t have anything constructive to say keep it shut.

Post some evidence from a respected body to back up your claims or stop spouting laughable tripe.

dipsh*t.

Twunker.

VanHalen

its a confidence booster riding flats on techie bits as you can hop off easier. if you are just riding in circles covering some miles on not very tech trails then there is no point running flats.

flow
    Free Member

Jimjam you are seriously retarded, I thought even someone with a brain as small as yours could understand;

“In Brian Lopes book mastering mountain bike skills there is a diagram explaining what I said”

Obviously you don’t have the book, or any skills, so I will break it down for you into bite sized pieces.

Using SPD’s

When you push the pedals from 1 o’clock to 6 o’clock you mainly use your quad muscles.

When you pull the pedals from 6 o’clock to 1 o’clock you mainly use your glutes, calves, hamstrings.

Using flats

You can’t pull up because your foot is not attached to the pedal, therefore you can only push on the pedals. The muscle that does pretty much all the pushing is your quad and some calf.

Wow, wasnt that simple!

I’m not going to work out the exact percentage but surely even you can see whats going on there?

Obviously you think you know better, please explain what muscles you think are used when you use spd’s and flats, I would love to know 😆

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Its nothing like 40% more efficient. Some yes – a few % maybe. 40% – not on your nellie

flow
    Free Member

Right, so if you are only pushing with flats, and you are pushing and pulling with SPD’s, what would you say roughly the percentage is?

aditude
    Free Member

Controversial but how about the new Crank Brother Mallet 2 pedals (2012 model) together with 5:10 Hellcat / Maltese Falcon SPD compatible shoes? Greg Minnar uses this combo and I am not planning on being a professional or anything – just hoping to get into MTB for fun on weekends with friends.

Looks like the Mallets have adjustable studs for traction when riding unclipped. Thinking this could be good for the steep technical descents where I don’t have the confidence to be clipped in but could then clip back in for the rest, esp dreaded (but unavoidable) climbs when on a 3 day tour across the Alps which I’m booked on (!!).

coogan
    Free Member

Right, so if you are only pushing with flats, and you are pushing and pulling with SPD’s, what would you say roughly the percentage is?

You can pull with flats, not as much as SPDs, but you can pull with them no problem.

MentalMickey
    Free Member

SPD’s are soooooooooooooo last year. 😉

chiefgrooveguru

Flow, you need to re-read that chapter of MMBS, you have it way wrong! As it explains you can absolutely spin properly with flats, as proven by all those BMX pros whose spinning slays the typical SPD’d MTBer. Spinning isn’t all about pulling up, it’s about pushing forwards, then down and pulling back.

fisha
    Free Member

The thing is though, if you want the power on the pull section of the stroke, you need to adapt your style to do it, it doesn’t automatically suddent become a useful pull.

When out and about, I find that I have to think about the pull stroke section if i want anything out of it, and more often than not, I dont bother … i do find that I get some extra power by trying to slide the pedal forward over the crest of the stroke when clipped in. Its enough to maintain a speed on a slight incline etc.

For my commute, i went to flats over the winter so I could ride with warmer/waterproof boots. Now going back to spds, and plodding along as normal I’d say the difference is about 10 to 15%. It was enough to hold a slightly higher speed or a higher gear.

Personally, I like the clipped in feel, but have the float as large as possible.

flow
    Free Member

chiefgrooveguru

I know what you are saying but you do pull up, in a wiping your foot on the floor kind of motion if that makes sense.

People who race BMX use SPD’s, have done for years.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I use a mix of both these days. Flats on the big bike for alpine singletrack, DH, jumps, etc. SPDs (well, Times) on the lighter bike for big days out.

For me, the reasons are mostly just more confidence in the flats, especially when there are big consequences from a comedy dismount. That and flats are just more fun! 😀

I’d recommend newcomers to MTB to ride flats while learning some basic riding techniques (not “learning to ride a bike” GW!) – e.g. simple weight distribution/posture, cornering, wheelies/manuals, jumps/drops, etc.

Learning technique aside, I don’t really have a strong opinion either-way.

Regarding efficiency, I think it’s pretty well-established that no-one, not even top roadies, can really pull up on their clips on the upstroke. The best you can hope for is to un-weight completely (even if you think you’re pulling up dead hard). You can “spin” pretty well on flats, but you do need to use more foot movement to get a push across the top and a pull across the bottom and I think you lose out on a few degrees of crank-motion where you’d still get some input if clipped-in. With all that said, there’s definitely a noticeable efficiency benefit from clips, but I wouldn’t put it anywhere near 40%.

Some interesting reading here. (just the first hit on google searching for “pedalling dynamics”.

GiantJaunt
    Free Member

You can pull with flats, not as much as SPDs, but you can pull with them no problem.

I find that pulling’s not so easy when I’m in my cycling kit.

Euro
    Free Member

Never used spds in my puff and I doubt I ever would – unless I was on the road. I’m more interested in having fun on my bike than being an efficient pedaler but can get 45% more height when i bunnyhop by cable-tying my hands to the bars.

coffeeking
    Free Member

First trip I did to the alps I did on spds and was quite happy with them but the second trip I did on flats and had more confidence for bailing. For general use I use spds, for playing about I use flats so I can bin the bike faster.

It’s just a tradeoff, there’s no right or wrong.

flow
    Free Member

Pages 62 and 63 of Brian Lopes mastering mountain bike skills is where the diagram /explanation is.

sailor74
    Free Member

flats if you are straight
    clipped in if you are not

wallop

I’m a noob and I use V8 copies and (hopefully not for much longer!) my Stan Smiths. I use SPDs on my road bike, but I don’t feel confident enough yet on the MTB to clip in.

I started off wearing shin pads (my husband’s old footy ones) under long socks. A pretty sight, I can tell you! After a few rides though, I still hadn’t slipped off the pedals so I ditched the shin pads. The pedals are so sticky, even without 5 10s, that I have no float whatsoever. I did slip a bit last night though (no injury thankfully).

I’m going to carry on with the flats for a while yet, and get some decent shoes. As a beginner I haven’t yet grasped what benefit I would get from being clipped in. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. For now, anyway.

bigjim

this is a funny old thread.

with clipless, for a casual rider like me pedalling efficiency isn’t of any interest, but because you are fixed to the bike things like bunnyhopping and moving the bike around with your feet are a lot easier. You can obviously learn to bunnyhop etc with flats but its obviously much easier with the bike physically attached to your feet. Mind you now that everyone rides 5″ full sussers on trails built by diggers and rollers does anyone actually bunnyhop things any more?!

I used toeclips for years, tried clipless and didn’t get on with it, and have gotten used to flats now. Do tend to bash them off stuff more than did with clipless though.

GW
    Free Member

The pedals are so sticky, even without 5 10s, that I have no float whatsoever

on Hardtails I remove all but 5 pins (each corner and outside centre) from each side of my pedals to help with changing foot positioning without lifting my foot. (DH bikes I leave most in)

the biggest shin injury I’ve seen came from spds…

I’ve got a nice chainring scar from years ago – standing sprint on a road and a worn cleat let go.

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

After several years on clipless I thought I’d give flats a go using skate shoes.Took me a while to to relearn how to pedal,jump and bunny hop but now I wouldn’t go back to clipless off road.Esp. since I changed to am40 shoes.(Evan more grip.)Still use clipless on my road bike though…….

Dancake
    Free Member

I have been on flats since last Summer. (I blamed a hefty gouge in the leg on SPDs due to still being stuck to the bike in a hapless OTB incident as well as many topples etc etc)

I have read with interest the foot position comments so I have been riding with the foot much more central (practicing on the way to work too) What I have found is that dropping your heel has a MUCH greater effect when your foot is here and you can really fell the bike “pushing back”

This is important for me as the biggest difference I found between the 2 was going over terrain where the ground falls away – like into bombholes etc

jimjam
    Free Member

I wouldn’t expect you to remotely understand anything I wrote up there dipsh*t. If you don’t have anything constructive to say keep it shut.

Jimjam you are seriously retarded, I thought even someone with a brain as small as yours could understand;

“In Brian Lopes book mastering mountain bike skills there is a diagram explaining what I said”

I wouldn’t want to miss the opportunity to say that you’re a prick, and a gormless one. As per my original post, you’ve just pulled completely arbitrary “stats” out of your ass. All you’ve got to back up your pretty ridiculous made up statistic is a diagram in a book written by two mountainbikers. Not doctors, or physios, two bikers. The main author Lee McCormack is selling mtb fitness training programes on his site that he asked James Wilson to create for him. A person who, according to you

really doesn’t have a clue what he is going on about

I had a look online and the page, no, paragraph that you are referencing doesn’t mention anything, nothing, about quantifying efficiency gains with spds. All it does is explain the mechanics of a good pedal stroke for the hard of thinking.

So, again, do you have any reputable evidence to back up your “40% increase in efficiency” statistic that you made up, other than a book written by a couple of mountainbikers, which doesn’t even remotely suggest what you are claiming?

Obviously you don’t have the book, or any skills.

You’re right, I don’t have the book. I’ve never felt the need to buy a book to teach me how to ride a bike. Maybe because I ride flats.

The o.p is new to the sport, he would benefit from balanced informed opinion, not more lies and half truths propagated by internet riding legends like you.

GW
    Free Member

With spd’s, if you clip one foot in (for arguments sake), you can pedal in a circle using all of your available leg muscles, glutes, calves, hamstrings and quads because you are both pushing and pulling.

[quote]I don’t have the stats but I would say SPD’s are roughly 40% more efficient than flats given the muscle groups utilised. [/quote]

You can’t pull up because your foot is not attached to the pedal, therefore you can only push on the pedals. The muscle that does pretty much all the pushing is your quad and some calf.

Flow – I’m tempted to agree with JimJam’s opinion of you here, not sure whether you’re actually “a prick” or “gormless” but you’ve definitely been talking utter shite (all of the above ^^)
    Surely I’m not the only one here who can pedal one footed on flats? I’m not into biking competitively anymore or even for fitness so I don’t really care which muscles I’m working but it’s not as simple as pushing down from the 1 O’clock position to the 6 O’clock position as you’ve tried to explain it.

flow
    Free Member

[post edited. Mod]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Maybe you should shut your stupid mouth. How on earth you can justify the 40% more powerful I don’t know. I have read several articles about it and its clear its actually very hard to quantify any increase in power tho must of us believe there is some

FWIW GW can walk the walk as well as talk the talk

flow
    Free Member

I said roughly 40% . Looking on the net its more like 30%, sh*it I was 10% out!

[another post edited. Mod]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Evidence? I believe its only a few % thats what is normally found- and less of the swearing you clown. Read the rules,

flow
    Free Member

[yet another post edited. Mod]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Oh I have – I have looked into it before. a few % is what I remember as a quantified difference

I somehow think you won’t be staying on the forum long. Rules is rules

Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 117 total)

The topic ‘Pedals – clipless vs flats’ is closed to new replies.