Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Pedal washers – cheapo ones okay?
  • finbar

Does anyone know if there’s any functional difference between these el cheapo pedal washers from eBay (10 for a quid) or branded FSA/TA ones for £4 a pair?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-Bicycle-Pedal-Spacer-Crank-Cycling-Bike-Stainless-Steel-Ring-Washers-BOD/264239131285?hash=item3d85e12a95:g:01MAAOSwCf9bjMvr

vs

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ta-pedal-washer/rp-prod175983

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk
    Subscriber

Hmm, description says please allow 1-3mm error in sizing! Given most pedals can only accommodate up to 2mm of spacer I’d be wary…

On the flip side I guess you’ll have ten, so hopefully at least two of them will be the right width…

finbar

Ha! Yes, I did see that, but presume they don’t actually mean it. All the shops that sell those cheap washers (and there are loads) also seem to sell phone cases, bath mats, sex toys etc. so the descriptions do leave a bit to be desired. I’m guessing they’re not experts and China does have machines that can reliably make washers a consistent size really 🙂

Worth asking at your LBS, we tend to have a few lying around we hand out if asked.

I bought the 10x Chinese ones. Size is ok.

Premier Icon survivor
    Subscriber

Psssssttt…. Here’s a secret I shouldn’t really be telling you all but I bet the expensive washers are no different to the cheap ones and probably come from the same factory😉

Premier Icon sillyoldman
    Subscriber

I’d imagine the FSA ones are poorer quality!

Err, should I be using these? I don’t have pedal washers on ANY bikes.

Premier Icon Poopscoop
    Subscriber

You do need them with some cranks, the crank makers pdf will usually show you on the break down diagram.

Premier Icon Bez
    Subscriber

IME some washers have slightly too large an outer diameter to sit properly in the recesses in some cranks, but that’s nothing to do with how expensive they are, you just need to check.

Other than that, they’re just flat rings of stainless steel, no point paying silly prices.

finbar

Almost an STW consensus! Cheapo ones ordered – I’ll report back if they’re a weird shape or made of cheese.

kayla1

I’d imagine the FSA ones are poorer quality!

😆

and are self-loosening and need a proprietary tool to fit them. And are shit.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.