Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Peaty’s tubeless fluid. A bad batch or the worst bike product in history?
  • BoardinBob

Got given a couple of pouches of Peaty’s tubeless fluid a wee while ago. Decided to use one on a new tyre. Gave the pouch a good shake for ages, made sure it was well mixed and squidgy.

Fitted the new tyre, popped the cap off the pouch, attached it directly to the valve which had the core removed and squeezed the pouch in.

Inflated the tyre and it went up but there was a leak around the valve. No probs I thought, turn the wheel so the valve is at the bottom, give the wheel a shake so the tubeless fluid splashes over the valve and seals it up.

Nope, not working. Tried for ages. Eventually popped the tyre off and discovered Peaty’s fluid isn’t liquid in the same way Stan’s Fluid or others are. It’s a really thick goop that coats the inside of the tyre and doesn’t easily run to the bottom of the wheel, so trying to seal up holes etc that way will be impossible.

Popped some stans fluid in and reinflated and it sealed the valve leak instantly.

So was this a bad batch or is it always this useless?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I tried Bontrager a while back, it was the exact same, utter shite, like syrup, useless.

oikeith

A friend tried Peatys and said something very similar plus it all went off after only a few months

robowns
    Free Member

I had the same experience with Muc Off, binned it. I’ll stick with Stan’s.

captainclunkz
    Free Member

Peaty’s tubeless fluid is absolute crap. I bought some a while ago from crc and it never worked. CRC stopped selling it for a while due to the amount of negative reviews.

superfli
    Free Member

Yes crap. If you did get tyre inflated and sealed, the sealant would dry up and disappear in about 1 day.

dumbbot
    Free Member

Aye its utter shite

reluctantjumper

Had the same experience with it, utterly useless. I’ve found the MucOff stuff to be good though.

chakaping
    Free Member

Muc-off seems OK but was a bit thick for my taste.

On a friend’s recommendation I’ve mixed it 50/50ish with Stans and it results in a beautiful consistency.

hols2
    Free Member

No idea about Peaty’s fluid, but you might be forgetting some of the shite products from the 90s.

orangespyderman

I use it, and I have had a different experience than the others. It works well, seals quickly and hasn’t dried up. It’s a batch I’ve had for about a year.

seb84

Totally failed to seal a tyre even though I put tons in. After a week I popped some stans in and it sealed straight away.
    Won’t be using it again.

bobodaclown

I thought it was just me who thought it was not great and that Stans was actually decent.

ayjaydoubleyou

Top racer and top bloke, but has he forever tarnished his brand with one duff product?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Nope, it’s utter shyte. Along with Muc Off.

Learnt from the mistake. Just use Stans or Orange Seal.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Top racer and top bloke, but has he forever tarnished his brand with one duff product?

Nah, I think the love is still there.

But I don’t think I would buy any of his branded stuff. I will happily stand corrected, but rather than products carefully made using the experience of one of the greatest ever to throw a leg over a bike, I get the feeling it’s nothing more than brand engineering that goes into it.

You can usually find a better product for less.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

but has he forever tarnished his brand with one duff product?

No no. Those peaty’s pushons Valve dildos alone didn’t tarnish the brand irreparably.

honourablegeorge

What Hob Nob said, except the Orange Seal bit, it’s crap

Northwind

Is it not just another older product rebadged? Possibly that really pretentious sounding one that’s a bit like Valvona and Crolla?

dangeourbrain

No no. Those peaty’s pushons Valve dildos alone didn’t tarnish the brand irreparably.

Butt plugs, they’re definitely butt plugs.

tdog
    Free Member

I’m finding CafèLatex pretty darn good!

my go to !

nickc

But I don’t think I would buy any of his branded stuff. I will happily stand corrected

The tubless valves are really good.

commencaltr29rider
    Free Member

Also a fan of the tubeless valves.

robowns
    Free Member

What Hob Nob said, except the Orange Seal bit, it’s crap

Both correct chaps, just get Stan’s.

bikerevivesheffield

How can a valve be good or bad?

slforrest

Peatys brake cleaner takes that title – sorry! Brakes squealed like a banshee afterwards. Haven’t touched the stuff since. Tubeless valves are spot on though

hatter

Has anyone used the milKit stuff yet? I’ve heard good things.

Northwind

bikerevivesheffield

How can a valve be good or bad?

Some just work better than others. THe really basic ones with teh big conical rubber base are fantastic frinstance, I’ve only ever had one rim that they didn’t work perfectly with, they’re unfussy about taping etc, and they’re cheap.

Poopscoop

Caffelatex for me. Not had a single problem with it and doesnt separate into clear fluid/ sealant like my Stans kept on doing. Never did get to the bottom of that.

spooky_b329

Tried a few and some are terrible. However I love Orangeseal Endurance, works just as well as Stans but doesn’t grow monsters in the tyres and seems to last much better (doesn’t dry out) compared to Stans.

Got a brand new sealed 16oz bottle of Stans if anyone wants to swap with similar quantity of Orange.

oikeith

No, the drivechain degreaser is the excellent and I like my Peatys push ons.

Peatys brake cleaner takes that title – sorry! Brakes squealed like a banshee afterwards.

I found any cleaning of the brakes via any brake cleaner would lead to squealing, I guess as you are removing the bedded in brake material it does it. I now will just rinse my discs with water and be careful not to get what I am cleaning the frame with on them.

richmtb

Hutchinson Protect Air is really good too, tends to be reduced in price more often than Stan’s. I picked up a litre for £15

jwd606
    Free Member

Tried a few and some are terrible. However I love Orangeseal Endurance, works just as well as Stans but doesn’t grow monsters in the tyres and seems to last much better (doesn’t dry out) compared to Stans.

I’m another satisfied user of Orangeseal Endurance.

walleater

“I tried Bontrager a while back, it was the exact same, utter shite, like syrup, useless.”

Weird, I’ve probably gone through 100 big bottles of the stuff at work and never found that. Just have to shake the poo out of the bottle otherwise you end up with no bits at the start of the bottle, and a thick bitty gloop towards the end…..

ogden
    Free Member

Peatys foaming degreaser is decent. I was bought it as a gift and I wouldn’t have bought it my self but I was pleasantly surprised with it.

I’m pretty sure I’ve read that the sealant was crap since it came out?

I don’t think his brand is tarnished tbh, I think you could think that if you think every cyclist is on STW forums. Modern marketing, Instagram, Facebook, “influencers” and riders saying they use it and they’ll still shift loads.

ajantom

No, he managed that ages ago when he put his name to ZumZum balance bikes on Kickstarter, who then ripped off a few thousand backers, and Peat washed his hands of it with no apology or admittance that he might have got it wrong.

No way I’ll ever buy anything with his name attached.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Peaty’s tubeless fluid. A bad batch or the worst bike product in history?’ is closed to new replies.