Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)
  • Peaty's Steel City Downhill – Saturday 5th March – who's going?
  • dawson

We’re going to spectate – I’ll be the one with 2 daughters and a GF in tow.

Anybody off here racing? I’ll get the kids to give you a cheer if we see you!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I was but broke my hand practicing the course 🙁

Two of my mates are still racing though – although it looks like 70% of entrants are pro, semi-pro or ex-pro!

thepodge
    Free Member

I’m watching, a couple of people I know are riding

docrobster
    Free Member

I’ll be there watching with 1 or both kids. Looking forward to it!

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’ll be there. I’m racing in masters. I think my board number is 129 and I’ll be on a White Nomad with blue rims.

Should be an interesting day

Tracey

Katie and me are racing. Just on our way to the hospital with Abigale to hopefully have her pot removed. She is very disapointed that she cant race.

She will be spectating with Kevin

gravity-slave
    Free Member

It’s a pretty stacked start list. I’ll be racing Matt for last place in Masters!

Also mashed my hand practicing, got a very sore index finger at the moment, can’t brake so that might actually help!

On a Commencal of some kind. Black Meta 5 to start with but the wheel is on the way out. If it packs up, I’ll be on the Supreme DH (hopefully not, course is pretty pedally).

.duncan
    Free Member

I shall be there camera in hand, should also be doing a final bit of course prep today to give those that have already put hours and hours of effort in a helping hand

ourkidsam
    Free Member

I might go and watch – what time is it and where do you park?

Tracey
    ourkidsam
    Free Member

Thanks Tracey

deanfbm
    Free Member

I should be racing.

Was going to dig today, but work called.

A little upset as i was going to get some practise in.

Is it correct what everyone has been saying about the track? It’s a tame sprint, where if you keep speed through the turns, you’ll do well?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Be rude not to go as it’s only just down the trail from me. No use asking Tracey what colour bike she or Katie will be on as it will probably have changed by tomorrow 🙂

thepodge
    Free Member

Sam, give us a shout when you head up, not seen you in an age.

hora
    Free Member

I might take the missus/nipper along to watch circa noon for a bit.

thepodge
    Free Member

do it, I haven’t seen you in even longer

Tracey

Need to get the bikes ready but they will be the same colour

Abigales pot is now off, the bad news is no active sport for 4 weeks

The good news is that we go boarding in 3 weeks, Abigale would appreciate any tips for beefing the arm up quickly

hora
    Free Member

Wrong on so many levels and I can’t crack a joke

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“It’s a tame sprint, where if you keep speed through the turns, you’ll do well?”

Looking at the map on the website it looks like a path I used to walk the dog. The top section is pretty flat (ish) but quick if you push a big gear. Towards the bottom it could get quite steep, depending on where they finish it up, and again depending on the exact route there are some pretty big jumps in there, probably about 20ft gaps. Theres also a couple of paths down that way that end up with some big north shore drop off things, probably about 15ft on to the last steep section.

Doesnt Peat live over the road? Well I often walked past a house with a couple of Bentleys with private regs that implied that…tea and cakes after at his?

Tracey

Just remember she is only 12

gravity-slave
    Free Member

There are some big jumps in Greno but it’s not that track. The actual course is getting tweaked and marked today.

It’s a fairly straight forward top section, with a few ruts then a couple of berms and small jumps, before ending in the quarry, in the right hand quarry, not the one with the infamous Peaty drop. There’s a new small flyoff into the quarry.

hora
    Free Member

Bloody ell. I’m sorry – apologises Tracey 🙂

muff
    Free Member

i’ve heard the course is pretty flat and boring? or is that just snide comments by people who didn’t get a race?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Will do Podge.

Am I going to need wellies on?

thepodge
    Free Member

Hora, you met Tracey and family when we did Cut Gate. they gave us directions to some sneaky stuff and ate pie in the pub as we rode past again

hora
    Free Member

Ah, hello again 🙂

TAXI!

antigee

will be there handing out flyers asking people to sign up to support Oughtibridge Woods Access Campaign

– this is a campaign to get Sheffield Council / Network Rail and others involved in getting a safer access to Wharncliffe and Oughtibridge Woods from Oughtibridge now the access at the end of Station Lane (past the flats and across the railway) is shut off and the only access from that direction is across the very busy/narrow/steep road bridge and to go in past the intramet factory
    This route isn’t safe for less experienced cyclists and certainly not for kids and anyone else not good at commanding road space when not wrapped in 1000kg of steel

You can save the world and wasted flyers by signing up now at

http://www.oughtibridgeWAC.org.uk

at moment we are just looking for numbers to add weight to requests to get something done and funded

thepodge
    Free Member

ace idea

creaser
    Free Member

im racing in masters orange 5 hope team colours

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

I’ll be there and racing, the track is fairly pedally and not too technical which is all in the spirit of mini-DH and the young rippers who get a chance to race. If you want a big steep techy DH course then there are plenty of choices around the country for that kind of thing.

This is about supporting a good cause, having a laugh and raising a positive profile of biking and racing in general, hopefully inspiring a few kids to get into racing along the way.

Should be a top doo…

ahwiles
    Free Member

i confidently predict that i will be last in masters.

never before has anyone been so keen to race into last place!

🙂

Ripper: see you in the morrow!

deanfbm
    Free Member

Yorkshire ripper – that’s what i like to hear.

People have critiqued the track, but its been built by people with other responsibilities, in their spare time.

The race is for fun, for charity, everyone should be having a laugh and not taking it seriously.

pete0
    Free Member

I’ll also be there racing masters. Matt, Phil, Adam, if it’s ok with you guys I’ll let you have the last three places. 😉

dawson

so if we cheer for anybody who is going slow, its bound to be somebody off here, ‘competing’ to be last?!!

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I’m absolutely gutted to not be doing it now 🙁

Just fudging typical that I crashed and broke myself whilst practicing the course (and haven’t had a crash in 3 years).

I’m not the only one either – Henry’s (Sustrains) smashed himself up too it seems..

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

I would have loved to have competed for last in Masters with you guys!

singletrackjon
    Free Member

The track is not the usual Wharncliffe mad steepness/tech but there are a few good bits that should be fun to watch – and ride. Finish drop will be carnage I reckon…

The Singletrack lot will be kicking about so we’ll see you all there…

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Check, im racing masters, the missus is racing, well womens obviously.

Im gonna HT it up i think. So green Evil Imperial, or Orange Commie Supreme.

Is anyone entering the photo comp?

Im taking the camera but my laptop is a mains only jobby so wondered if anyone would be taking one I can use briefly to check/edit.

Diane
    Free Member

Sounds good fun – I look forward to the footage!

Tracey

Let me be first to say ACE day.

Done other mini DHs up and down the country and this is so far ahead of the rest.

Organisation was spot on, the track although a bit muddy held up well and flowed all way down.

Big thanks to all involved, looking forward to the next one.

Going for a soak and a glass of red

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘Peaty's Steel City Downhill – Saturday 5th March – who's going?’ is closed to new replies.