• This topic has 34 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by igm.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Peaty’s new Biofibre sealant.
  • robfury
    Free Member

Anyone tried the newly released version on mtb or road tyres yet?

Not many/any real independent reviews online yet.

honourablegeorge

Guy Kesteven liked it….. 😁

I’ve seen loads of sealant reviews where Orange Seal has been raved about, but I and everyone I know who has tried it find it utterly crap. Think it’s just a case of try yt and see. I have a litre of Caffè Latex to try next.

robfury
    Free Member

I ve not seen much that guy doesn’t like 🙄

BoardinBob

The original peaty’s sealant is the worst bike product I’ve ever used. Absolutely useless

Northwind

The last one just didn’t work. Wasn’t it someone else’s product rebadged?

reeksy

I have a litre of Caffè Latex to try next.

Oh dear.

reluctantjumper

The last one just didn’t work. Wasn’t it someone else’s product rebadged?

Found the same, horrible to clean out of the tyres too! The only Peaty’s product I use is their Link Lube but then it’s just the old Wickens and Soderstom stuff everyone raved about a few years ago, Peaty’s stuff is just smaller companies’ stuff bought out and rebranded.

tall_martin

+1 on orange seal being crap

Also the on one stuff was 100% useless at sealing punctures os any size.

I’m back on stans eying the price, wondering if there is something as effective but cheaper

At £25 for 1L stans Vs £20 for 1L of peaty’s I’ll stick with stans

devash
    Free Member

1 litre of Stans is €19 from the German sites and lasts me a couple of years. I’m always tempted by the newer (and cheaper) stuff but it’s never as good.

Went tubeless in 2015 and have never had a single puncture that Stans couldn’t fix. When swapping tyres I’m amazed by the amount of thorns and spikes embedded in them that Stans fixed without me even knowing. It’s really hard to look elsewhere.

malv173
    Free Member

I’ve been using OKO Magic Milk for about five years with no issues. Started with the normal stuff, but moved onto the high fibre version a couple of years ago. I’ve only had two total failures – a dented rim, and a big slice.

Kuco

I’ve used Caffè Latex it seemed okay other than it seemed to dry out quickly. I always find myself reverting back to the bog standard Stans.

rhayter

I was suckered in by the new Silca sealant on my gravel bike, having been disappointed
    with caffe latex and Muc-off. I got a puncture on my ride yesterday and the first I knew about it was the tell-tale sealant up the back of my seat tube, spotted when washing the bike down.

kayla1
    Free Member

That Peaty’s stuff looks similar to OKO’s water-based stuff.

benpinnick

I’d like to take this opportunity, as someone that often has to work on other people’s bikes, please, please, please, for the sake of your local mechanic don’t use anything other than Stans/Joes/Caffe latex/Similar standard latex products. The mess those other brands make when trying to change tyres is unreal. Its like they’re made from glittery PVA or something. 😉

cx_monkey

I tried OKO off-road stuff that I picked from our local agricultural store – was about a tenner for 1.25l. Its meant for dumpers and the like – basically anything that doesn’t go more than 50 mph. Apparently will cope with holes up to 10mm. Used it undiluted and it is thicker than bike specific stuff, but worked well. Diluted it with water a bit and still seemed OK.

Also tried the muc-off stuff – that is utter rubbish…

But generally just revert to Joe’s. It seems a bit better value than others and just works. Plus the local shop always have it.

reluctantjumper

The mess those other brands make when trying to change tyres is unreal. Its like they’re made from glittery PVA or something. 😉

I use the Muc Off one (find it works for me!) and it is a bit messy at times! Trouble is I’d forgot about the UV thing it has in it when Rentokil came round the flat to check for rodents. They had put a bait box with UV dye water ink in it and were looking for footprints with their UV light, the amount of stuff that lit up in the living room made it look like I’d been having bungabunga parties for the last decade 🤣 Thankfully the guy doing the check was a roadie so when I showed him the bottle and explained he just creased up laughing, he also suggested changing brands.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Don’t worry Ben, I’m my own wrench monkey.

chrismac

To be honest Ive not been impressed with any of his products. They seem to trade heavily on his name.

As for sealant if it doesn’t stay Stans on the bottle then I will avoid it until many moons have passed of evidence that something else is any better.

snotrag

Yep, experimented with the old Peatys stuff when it was offer and just ended up with Blue Glitter explosions everywhere.

Read the GuyKes review and was tempted to have another go but it turns out they are still using glitter, which will still stick all over your rims and paint, its just black not blue now.

Back to a ‘quart’ of Stans I go!

benpinnick

You could even add glitter to stans if you like. Just as long as its not got the consistency of glue before you start!

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been using OKO Magic Milk for about five years with no issues. Started with the normal stuff, but moved onto the high fibre version a couple of years ago.

Neat or diluted?

I have a bottle that I never got round to using as I always have a bottle of Stan’s on the go as well.

Northwind

I’ve been really please with the oko high fibre too- it works as well as stans but its totally water soluble so you can, frinstance, mix it thinner, or add water to a tyre when it’s drying up. Gives it way more life. I found if I’m replacing a tyre that throwing in 50ml or so of water and giving it a good shoogle means I can recover and reuse most of the old sealant too

kayla1
    Free Member

+1 on adding water to OKO stuff. I saved a weekend (who doesn’t take a spare tube with them? Me, obvs…) by chucking some water into a tyre at Northern Grip a few years ago and it got the OKO (I think it was the tractor tyre stuff I’d used, diluted with water to start off with) fluid enough to seal the puncture 😎

zerocool

I normally just use Stan’s but had good success with some Juice Lubes stuff (that I was given and just kept topping up the stans stuff.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

1 litre of Stans is €19 from the German sites and lasts me a couple of years. I’m always tempted by the newer (and cheaper) stuff but it’s never as good.

Same but with the Stans Race sealent.

It’s still only a couple of quid per tyre, cheaper than a mid-priced tube, let alone a lightweight one.

shermer75
    Free Member

1 litre of Stans is €19 from the German sites and lasts me a couple of years

Can we buy from the German sites again? I thought that was verbotten since brexit?

spooky_b329

I’ve seen loads of sealant reviews where Orange Seal has been raved about, but I and everyone I know who has tried it find it utterly crap.

I always use Orange now (the Endurance version) and from the threads on here, thought it was second choice to the fast drying Stans!

BadlyWiredDog

The problem with sealant is that you mostly only notice it when it doesn’t work.

honourablegeorge

spooky_b329

I always use Orange now (the Endurance version) and from the threads on here, thought it was second choice to the fast drying Stans!

My experience has been that it seals tyres well, but when you remove the tyre, you find it has congealed into a dry layer all over the tyre, and there’s zero liquid left, so it’ll never actually seal a puncture. Near impossible to remove the mess too

scruff
    Free Member

I tried glitter in with Stans once, it just stuck to the inside of the tyre, didnt float around with the sealant. It also stunted the growth of local unicorns.

thegreatape
    Free Member

😀 is it really that bad! I stuck some in last week and noticed all the glitter, oh well, too late now. I only got it because I bought the pretty Peaty’s/Chris King valves – don’t tell me they’re shite as well.

BoardinBob

is it really that bad!

Yes

I’ve never paid for it but have been given a few bags of it for free. In my experience, it seems to coat the inside of the tyre evenly and stick there. It’s not liquid like any other tubeless fluid I’ve ever used. That means that if you do get a puncture, the sealant doesn’t easily move to the hole and you cant rotate the hole to the bottom of the wheel and let the sealant pool there.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Oh well, I’ll see how it goes and just bung some Stans in if I need to!

sotonkona
    Free Member

I’ve got the new Biofibre sealant, thought I’d give it a punt as I was fitting a new set of tyres and ran out of Mucoff sealant – just happened to see the Guy Kes video that evening too! Wouldn’t have touched the older original version.

I rode the SDW a couple of weeks ago and got a hole (only a couple of mm) in my rear tyre about 70 miles in, the sealant acted really quickly, sealing in a couple of seconds and was fine for the rest of the ride, with no noticeable pressure loss at all. Have been out a couple of times since and no issues. Does what it’s meant to do, whether it’s any better than Mucoff, Stans or Orange, I’ll see in the months to come!

igm

Was it tumble drier fluff that folks used to add for higher pressures / bigger holes?

Or did I imagine that?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.