Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Peaty !!!
  • stanfree
    Free Member

Legend , That Is all . Life In the old dog yet.

Coyote
    Free Member

Amazing ride. So close to the (G)win too!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

“We’re not worthy, we’re not worthy”

Absolutely…

He could shit Troy Brosnan out his arse..

robsoctane
    Free Member

what they said but exclude Troy as a shit… 😉

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Is there a World Cup thread here?
    Also, could a junior win the grown up elite overall?

Kit
    Free Member

After the furore over spoiler threads the last couple of days, is this a genuine mistake or a deliberate attempt to wind folk up?

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Em, mistake.

Apologies all.

Kit
    Free Member

Not fussed meself, just asking 😉

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Could it happen though?

Kit
    Free Member

Interesting, and a little bit sad if I’m honest, that this thread silently slipped under the waves. With all the hysteria about the TdF, Round 5 of the UCI MTB World Cup passed by without barely registering on an ostensibly MTB forum 🙁

Not the most exciting course ever, but some hard crashes and the Brits did well!

Lifer
    Free Member

Congrats to Rach too! The Peaty legend still has a few more seasons to go I reckon, amazing stuff.

Coyote
    Free Member

Rachel rode a fantastic ride. Floated over the rock garden probably better than anyone.

Lifer
    Free Member

Windham UCI DH Men’s

Freecaster coverage from yesterday.

si-wilson
    Free Member

Interesting, and a little bit sad if I’m honest, that this thread silently slipped under the waves. With all the hysteria about the TdF, Round 5 of the UCI MTB World Cup passed by without barely registering on an ostensibly MTB forum[\quote]

Agree with this

jhw
    Free Member

I watched this on the weekend. Awesome!! Inspiring stuff. The speed he carried into and through the rock garden was unbelievable.

Lifer
    Free Member

+1 Si & Kit

DH has been so good this year.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve watched them all this year on Eurosport, Si says some funny things on air like ‘South Wales is full of burnt out cars’. Troy Brosnon is a little ripper.

t-p26
    Free Member

]Interesting, and a little bit sad if I’m honest, that this thread silently slipped under the waves. With all the hysteria about the TdF, Round 5 of the UCI MTB World Cup passed by without barely registering on what USED TO BE an MTB forum

There, corrected that for you . Its all road bikes, fixies and lycra now.
    The title was SINGLETRACKworld. it however seems to harbour one or two road riders, shame…

13thfloormonk

Interesting, and a little bit sad if I’m honest, that this thread silently slipped under the waves. With all the hysteria about the TdF, Round 5 of the UCI MTB World Cup passed by without barely registering on an ostensibly MTB forum

Yeah, but look at this thread vs. the tour threads. However good the DH was this weekend, all there is to say about it is : ‘That was good’ or ‘he was fast’.

TdF generates so much discussion because frankly there’s so much to talk about, good and bad, its the perfect armchair/office athlete’s sport (and I include myself in that depressing little group).

Plus the DH doesn’t get presented to us in a neat little package at beer o’clock every weekday evening 8)

ahwiles
    Free Member

the DH doesn’t get isn’t presented to us in a neat little package at beer o’clock every weekday evening at all, unless you’ve got some crazy fast internet connection, and stay in on a sunday afternoon

i’ve got ‘broadband’ – and i can’t watch it.

(Now in HD! – brilliant. how about low-def? – so i can actually watch it?)

And another thing, as you say, the tour highlights last about 45 mins, which is a nice amount to watch.

the Dh worldcup highlights are edited down to about 2 mins, most of which seems to be pit-chat.

13thfloormonk

Ha, yeah, that as well. Definition of frustration for me is trying to watch anything on a live stream, little spinny circles of impatience make my blood boil.

bluebird
    Free Member

Peaty is incredible – he’s got 10 years on Gwin, is coming back of a hand injury and still at the top level.

Gwin’s amazing too this season. Not sure where he’s getting the time from, but it always seem to be right form the start. He must be powering out of the start gate and just getting up to speed a second or two ahead of the other guys. Whatever it is he’s doing Minnar and Atherton had better work it out soon or they’re going to be runners up.

Lifer
    Free Member

I find MTBWorldCup.com better than Freecaster, even though it’s the freecaster feed…

Re Gwin, it’s not the first time someone’s come along and spanked the field. By next season if not the end of this one I reckon the gap will have closed significantly, but I bet Tomac is getting a lot of enquiries!

jhw
    Free Member

The coverage on Pinkbike is very very good

bluebird
    Free Member

Lifer, you’re right. Sam Hill has never really lived up to what he looked like he was going to be capable of a few seasons back. Still a bloody good rider mind, I’m not slaggin him off.

It’d be interesting to know what the psychology of it all. It’s as is someone comes along and starts winning and the rest of the field are so in shock they can’t get it together. It’s like they expect not to win.

Coyote
    Free Member

I just think that everything’s coming together for Gwin at the right time. The other men are putting together some pretty awesome runs but he has taken it to the next level.

When are the World Championships this year?

wrecker
    Free Member

TdF generates so much discussion because frankly there’s so much to talk about, good and bad, its the perfect armchair/office athlete’s sport (and I include myself in that depressing little group).

I think it has more to do with the fact that this site full of roadies.
    Singletrack needs to change its name or limit the road based threads. There’s plenty of road forums, why can’t members talk roadie on those and MTB on here?
    Before anyone says it, this is not a “cycling” forum. It’s called Singletrack and it’s about MTBing.

lunge

I watched the DH last night and whilst I love riding it I came to the conclusion that it doesn’t work on TV. It’s just not that interesting watching another guy go over the same rock garden over and over again. The drops don’t look that big, the speed doesn’t look that fast and it is difficult to tell riders from each other, hell, even the crash wasn’t that spectacular. It’s got no stories or hidden stuff going on, it is a time trial down a hill and for me at least it makes very poor TV.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Singletrack needs to change its name or limit the road based threads. There’s plenty of road forums, why can’t members talk roadie on those and MTB on here?
    Before anyone says it, this is not a “cycling” forum. It’s called Singletrack and it’s about MTBing.

How about you just dont read the road threads?

Lifer
    Free Member

Singletrack needs to change its name or limit the road based threads

It really doesn’t.

ahwiles
    Free Member

re Gwin:

he’s awesome.

he’s going to have a massive crash, which will slow him down a bit.

Lifer
    Free Member

for me at least it makes very poor TV.

I love it, thought I was gonna have a heart attack when Rach came down ahead of the split, and when Peaty took the hot seat couldn’t sit still!

jhw
    Free Member

A query. Has there ever been a world-class downhiller (i.e. someone who’s won at least 1 world cup) whose career wasn’t seriously harmed by a big crash?

Nico is the only one who comes to mind?

Why do they all crash so much and so seriously? I’ve said this a million times but – doesn’t happen in skiing

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

the reason there’s a lot of TDF talk is surely cos it’s on every day, rather than once a week..

as for working on tv, i think if it wasn’t for rob warner on freecaster it would be a lot less entertaining, but as it is – i love it!

ahwiles
    Free Member

Why do they all crash so much and so seriously? I’ve said this a million times but – doesn’t happen in skiing

er, yes it does…

a lot of the mountain biking injuries occur inbetween races – Barel, Atherton (pick one), Fairclough, Hill (knee), etc.

maybe Nico was more restrained/focussed between races? – and that, is a total guess.

bluebird
    Free Member

he’s going to have a massive crash, which will slow him down a bit.

Been thinking that myself, it nearly happened at Fort Bill, but it was just a minor one.

No, they never crash – [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMchlokCWIk[/video]

fbk
    Free Member

jhw – yes it does. Plus DH skiing tends be down a nice wide open channel of snow/ice, not over huge sharp rocks & between trees etc.

As for the discussion level, this isn’t really a DH forum either is it? And the coverage of the world cup really isn’t the best, especially when compared to regular prime time TV programmes.

I love the world cup and love watching it, especially on Freecaster. Unfortunately I tend to catch up a day or two later as the ‘live stream’ is the most frustrating thing in the world!!

And as for all this “we shouldn’t discuss road riding coz we’re not roadies”…… 🙄

Edit for the OP – Peaty is indeed a god amongst men 🙂

jhw
    Free Member

But it’s not like every world class skier has had a season wrecked by injury. Whereas pretty much every world class Dher has.

Is it something to do with the unusually macho image of the sport? Nico wasn’t very popular in the media etc. even though he was the best, just because his style was so understated and he never crashed.

Trolling again, a bit…back to the subject…go Peaty!

kudos100
    Free Member

I watched the DH last night and whilst I love riding it I came to the conclusion that it doesn’t work on TV. It’s just not that interesting watching another guy go over the same rock garden over and over again. The drops don’t look that big, the speed doesn’t look that fast and it is difficult to tell riders from each other, hell, even the crash wasn’t that spectacular. It’s got no stories or hidden stuff going on, it is a time trial down a hill and for me at least it makes very poor TV.

i dont think it makes poor tv, but having exactly the same camera angles for every single rider makes it a bit dull. they need to spice it up with a bit more variety and have some commentators going round the pits etc

as for peaty, well he has shown everyone he still has it! i think he is a fading force, but hopefully can grab another wc before he calls it a day.

kudos100
    Free Member

@jhw

i dont know why so few of the pro’s wear upper body armour, it makes no sense. granted it is not going to stop crashes from happening, but may make the difference between being out for a month and out for the whole season.

take sam hill. perhaps if he was wearing body armour he might be racing now…..

seems a bike like a fashion thing to me. you see it all the time on pink bike and mtb videos, guys doin rb rampage or jumping a 50 ft gap in a t shirt. bit silly if you ask me.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Peaty !!!’ is closed to new replies.