• This topic has 40 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by xcgb.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Peaslake rider on Thursday – Shame on you
  • The-Badger
    Free Member

So,

I trustingly loaned my shock pump to a rider in Peaslake on Thursday. As I was just setting off, and he was having some problems getting it set up right – so I left the pump with him, and asked him to leave it with my car when he had finished (hide by the front wheel).

Should I have been suprised when he kept it instead ?
    Am I too trusting ?

Santa Cruz FS, just converted to 650 wheels and forks – you know who you are !

motozulu
    Free Member

Maybe he just forgot? put it in his backpack type of thing?

I’m a bugger for doing that I must admit. Hopefully he realised when he got home and you’ll see him again at some point.

root
    Free Member

Yeh I would say err on the side of innocent mistake before you break out the pitchforks. Maybe he is on here or one of the other bike forums?

woody2000

Maybe he left it and someone nicked it.

qwerty
    Free Member

Full rigid FTW.

xcgb
    Free Member

I really hope this is a mistake damages our faith in human/biker nature 🙁

The-Badger
    Free Member

To be honest I hadn’t sharpened the pitchfork quite yet. I tend towards the generous and its rare it gets taken advantage of – I am also hoping its a mistake and he will pop up somewhere – maybe here – but I am not local to the area so its likley to be many months before I return.

xcgb
    Free Member

Someone must know him, maybe get someone to put a note up in Pedal and spoke asking for it to be posted back, hope this is resolved, hate it when kind acts are abused

Edric64
    Free Member

Not quite as bad but I stopped the car whilst on the way to Ashton Court at Xmas and gave a roadie a tube and pumped up his tyre .He was very pleased as his wife was at home with new born sprog and he had sneaked out .Give me your address and I will post you a tube he says ,you`ve guessed the rest ,nothing has ever turned up . 👿

br
    Free Member

Not quite as bad but I stopped the car whilst on the way to Ashton Court at Xmas and gave a roadie a tube and pumped up his tyre .He was very pleased as his wife was at home with new born sprog and he had sneaked out .Give me your address and I will post you a tube he says ,you`ve guessed the rest ,nothing has ever turned up

We helped some guys out on Skyline. Gave them a tube and asked that they just leave one in return on our car (very noticable Defender). we saw them return to the car park, change and pack up. As they drove out I stopped them and asked where our tube was?

One of the passengers got out, went into the shop and bought one. Next time…

New Audi too 🙂

Saratoga
    Free Member

I once stopped and helped a guy out who’d snapped his chain but didn’t have a chain tool; he used mine and managed to snap the pin on it. He took my address and details of the chain tool I had and said he’d send me a replacement.

A couple of weeks later a replacement pin arrives in the post. 🙂 😀

dave360

is this THE Badger?

theotherjonv

Conversely – at mayhem one year I lent my whole bike to an expert rider type who’d snapped a chain and was running back to get a teammate out for a final lap. Not only did he return my bike at the finish (although admittedly I did have his carbon race bling one that i’d hobby horsed back as ransom), but he insisted on giving me a half eaten back of energy bloks as thanks!

torihada
    Free Member

@ Bedgebury, Kent come across 3 riders 1/2 way round the singletrack, one with puncture. I attempt to pump up her tyre (no tools) when she says she’s had a slow puncture for ages. I stop pumping and ask if she has a spare (obviously not). I grab spare from cameback & ask if they have a couple of quid towards it. I don’t have change for a tenner, so I say they can keep it, its all good karma, what goes around, comes around (I have also fitted the new tube & pumped up tyre for them). On hearing my comment about good karma one of the three laughs derisively at my comment! 🙄

vinnyeh

Not the first time you’ve had trouble with pumps, I believe
    😆

andrewy

Torihada, I was hoping you were going to finish with ‘and so dear reader, I married her’. Oh well 😕

LAT

How many forum users and lurkers are searching the web for ‘that’ picture?

DrT
    Free Member

Just to restore faith in humanity, I once gave a rider who had punctured passing by my house a tube, fitted it for him and saw him on his way. He returned that evening with a 6 pack of beers for my trouble 🙂

allthepies
    Free Member

+1

I reckon the guy clocked you and knowing your association with pumps wanted it for his trophy cabinet.

wool

Lent my chain tool to another racer at a Kentmear NEMBA said he would get it back to me at the finish I was dressed in full Orange kit and so was the transport… Yup never got it back. Stopped and given tubes out fixed bikes it will come round one day.

root
    Free Member

It is shitty when you get no thanks or anything, but reading this thread it does sounds to me like a lot of folk just do someone a favour so they can be thanked or have someone “indebted” to them…

Tom-B
    Free Member

higgo
    Free Member

How many forum users and lurkers are searching the web for ‘that’ picture?

This one?

Mbnut
    Free Member

I have fixed many a chain and given away tubes, given random people lifts etc… it has never occurred to me to ask for anything… no wonder i’m constantly skint!!!

Probably a mistake OP, I hope so…

mashiehood
    Free Member

oh god, not the badger. the original thread made me laugh so much it took me weeks to get rid of my six pack! 😀

mikey74
    Free Member

We helped some guys out on Skyline. Gave them a tube and asked that they just leave one in return on our car (very noticable Defender). we saw them return to the car park, change and pack up. As they drove out I stopped them and asked where our tube was?

One of the passengers got out, went into the shop and bought one. Next time…

New Audi too

Seriously? If I gave someone a tube in those circumstances I wouldn’t expect one back.

Likewise, I was out riding in Tilgate and some kids were wrestling with a broken chain: I gave them a spare KMC link and they went off thankful.

What is the point in expecting that stuff back? It’s pretty cheap, consumable gear.

mashiehood
    Free Member

^^ this ^^ life is too short

garage-dweller

Dont mind losing a tube once in a while but most of my spares are shabby multi patchers!

Why do people head out with no spare tube and pump though.

I have led a charmed UST life for years and there are still tubes and patches in my bag every ride unless I’m just scooting the half mile to the shops.

What’s more I expect to give back or offer something if I do get caught out and need help. It’s good manners and equitable.

spacemonkey

I had no idea Toadfish was into MTBing 🙂

nicolaisam
    Free Member

I ride with a few people that seem to think that riding with 1 gel and a bottle of water is well equipped.

we went out riding on the Thursday,one managed to pinch flat his tube,lent him my spare tube.
    Next ride on the Sunday,Other mate gets a puncture,good size cut in tyre and through tube,I was then asked if i had a spare tube,I said i have,then remembered i had gave it to my other mate on the last ride.. 😀

So he had to phone his wife to collect him,me and my other mate continued riding,he then managed to get another puncture,he had to phone to get picked up.

the best bit next time they we were out they still didnt have any spare tubes/repair kit or pump on them.I give up. :mrgreen:

user-removed
    Free Member

Talking of riding ill-equipped, I rode in Matt-out-and-about’s back yard on the Glenogle railway line. Stopped at Killin for lunch, and one of the guys asked if he could stick a bottle of water in my Camelbak. No worries, said I.

Two minutes later, he came out of the shop with a 2L bottle of lemonade. He got told to foxtrot oscar sharpish…

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I wouldn’t leave a pump with a stranger, but an inner tube/gel something I have stacks of not a problem in my eyes. Unless its the last one my group has.

I bet a lot of people who demand reimbursement, bin ones with a hole in anyway rather than repairing.

mtbfix

What SSS said. Tubes etc are consumable and I’d give one of those up. But a pump? Nah. I’m afraid I’d stand over them until they were done. Karma carries small change, not £20s.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I once gave someone a lift up the A6 to Disley, it was late at night, winter, raining, cold, he’d missed his bus.

I asked him to pop 250ml of Shell unleaded in a bottle and send it to me but nothing ever appeared.

The swine. Some people eh. 🙄

😉

tonyd

I’m happy to give tubes and the like away. The last one was to some weirdo on a 29er who had flatted, fortunately a 26″ tube fits a 29er (kind of).

Not sure I’d leave a shock pump with someone. If they looked trustworthy and my car was nearby I’d like to think I’d do the same as the OP, however if the guy needed more than just a top up you’d have to wonder what the hell he was doing in the first place. Why would you come to Peaslake with a not fully set up bike and not bring a shock pump? If you’re intending to spend ages fettling then bring the appropriate tools, don’t expect to borrow them from strangers.

The-Badger
    Free Member

To clarify – I am NOT that Badger! Maybe I need to change my name!

Perhaps I was overtrusting – to be fair he was struggling to set up a brand new set of forks and get the bike working well with a new set of 650b wheels in his 26″ frame.
    Seemed ok, even had a chat when we met later at the bottom of Barry – hence why i felt I could trust him.

So when you meet me next time and try to borrow my shock pump, sorry if i stand over you with my fingers poised to snatch it the moment you’ve done, and sorry its a bit rubbish and leaks air – I’ve lost my good pump 🙂

xcgb
    Free Member

So still no shock pump then? shame i hoped this would end happily and we could all cuddle 🙁

scaredypants

to be fair he was struggling to set up a brand new set of forks and get the bike working well with a new set of 650b wheels in his 26″ frame

He’s clearly on stw, then 😀

RoterStern
    Free Member

Are you sure you gave him adequate instructions about which car to leave the pump at? Someone lent me a pump in a race after the air canister I was using exploded. He told me to leave it at the white Mercedes sprinter in the car park. When I finished the race I found that there were at least twenty white sprinters in the car park. Maybe start a thread with…..did anyone get a free pump stuck under their wheel arch at Peaslake?

kevin1911

The lesson here is never trust someone who rides a Santa Cruz.

<runs for cover>

(Semi-)seriously though. Some mates and I have noticed a pattern when riding at Glentress over the last 5 years or so. Generally speaking, we’ve noticed that people riding Santa Cruz’s are statistically* less likely to nod, wave, say hello, stop for a chat, chat even if they’re already stopped.

Are Santa Cruz’s the bike equivalent of BMW M3s?

<opens door to nuclear bunker>

*statistic gathering excercise was rather less than scientific

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Peaslake rider on Thursday – Shame on you’ is closed to new replies.