Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Peaks ride
  • jree
    Free Member

I’m going to get the train into piccadilly tomorrow and train it into the Peak District. Edale, hope maybe. I’m thinking I might ride from there to somewhere like Marple or new Mills to get the train back. Has anyone got a route I can follow or recommend a ride?

martinhutch

It’s a westerly tomorrow (only a gentle one though) so it might make more sense to get the train to New Mills and head east from there. You could string together some good riding – look up the Chinley Churn route, you could go over the Roych from there, then Rushup/Hollins Cross to Edale?

Pook

Do it the other way- train to New Mills then ride to Hope, then train back. Better descents then.

New Mills > Chinley Churn > Far Phoside > Coldwell Clough > Jacob’s Ladder then either up Jaggers/Hope Cross and into Hope or up Mam Tor then over to Cavedale before it’s flattened.

Pook

Virtual high five Martin 🙌

spacey

Haven’t got a gpx to share I’m afraid, but going from edale to marple I would do the following. How well do you know the area? See if this gives you enough to go on, I can flesh it out if needs be.

From edale up chapel gate, rushops edge, roych clough, south head, down the campsite into hayfield, up twenty trees (some call it snake path) to shooting cabins and descent, up to matley moor, round lantern pike to do little mill to rowarth, then bit of road to get your choice of marple descents to roman lakes (I’d go linnets clough). Pint and grub in the Norfolk and train bike from Marple. Be a good ride that!

spacey

Good point on the other direction suggestion. Jacobs into Edale is obviously great, but if heading from New Mills I’d struggle to fit in any other really good bits.

carlos
    Free Member

An alternative start could be Disley. Head up Green Lane, over to Diglee farm, into Furness Vale (it’d be rude not to try the steps of death onto the canal as you’re passing ;-)) Up Ladypit Road and onto Laneside Road, New allotments, then either Peep O Day or Far Phoside, top of the campsite descent, Coldwell Clough, Jacobs and train back from Edale. If you’re hungry for more from Edale head up to Hollins Cross, Round Mam Tor, Cavedale into Castleton and along the road to Hope station, or Holins Cross, Back Tor Farm, Jaggers and finish on the Roman Road into Hope.

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1798710

https://www.plotaroute.com/route/1798714

Obviously you can trim Hope off if you want to head back from Edale

IHN

An alternative start could be Disley. Head up Green Lane, over to Diglee farm, into Furness Vale

Personally, I’d go Green Lane, Long Lane, Greenshall Lane, canal, Furness Vale, as Diglee Farm is a bit dull and Greenshall Lane is more fun. Does mean a bit of a schlep along the canal though

(it’d be rude not to try the steps of death onto the canal as you’re passing ;-))

Ooh, I dunno, that early in the ride? It’s only going to make Jacob’s Ladder seem a bit underwhelming later on 🙂

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Key question is how far you want to go?

jree
    Free Member

2-3 hours ride. About 20 miles ish. Happy to go further though. Some good suggestions here. I know a few of the routes on here, mainly round new Mills, Hayfield, little mill Inn descent is always fun.

continuity
    Free Member

*Peak

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Peaks ride’ is closed to new replies.