• This topic has 225 replies, 74 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jag61.
Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 226 total)
  • Peaks Pootle – 2017
  • Pook

We have a route. I tend to keep it close to my chest though in case we need to change it

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

I have fond memories of the high peak circuit taking us 7 hours to complete one winter
    Including my missus in tears after being terrified that a highland cow was going to kill her.

BadlyWiredDog

We have a route. I tend to keep it close to my chest though in case we need to change it

What happens if a farmer shoots you? Will you be carrying a sealed envelope with the route in it just in case?

Pook

It’s engraved on Kevlar so I’m safe. You can’t see the Kevlar under my kaftan, but now you know.

Pook

Anyone from Chester way coming to the pootle?

nicknack
    Free Member

What’s the post code for the meet point?

nbt

Post code is SK22 2ES.

MartynS

Sk22 2es

Sett valley trail car park.
    It’s £4.50 for all day I think

Tonto… watch out for the girl on the purple bike… she’ll hoover up GF cake…;-)

Hayfield camp site has camping pods, but i think they are quite big so might be costly.
    There’s a few b+b in New Mills that might be worth a try it’s only 2 miles down the sett valley to the start. If anyone ends up there let me know and we’ll get you to the start!

solarpowered
    Free Member

tonto – Member
    I will supply GF cake for any awkward eaters. Anyone want a lift from Rugby/Coventry area?

POSTED 11 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

*waving wildly!!*

I would normally bring some gf goodies but we will have to rush off afterwards as family are visiting – hence no time to make nice yummy portions of cakey goodness…. next time for sure 🙂

Sorely tempted by this to break me back in after a lay-off and to annoy people in real life, rather than on the internet.

Fortunately for you lot it’s Mrs STR’s birthday weekend and when we aren’t doing birthday things, I have a bathroom to tile.

Next time I may inflict myself on you, be warned!

sprocker
    Free Member

Can’t make it now as wife has to work, hopefully not too long until the next one

buckster
    Free Member

That actually reads: “Nope, no route, we will wing it on the day.”

Have fun, most deffo up for the next one.

nbt

No, we have a route, it just got boring when a route was announced and then all and sundry tried to rip it to bits to include their own favourite technical bits and stuff that probably wasn’t suitable for taking a 50-odd strong group down at a “leisurely” pace. We know a route, we have many options to cut it short or extend it as conditions dictate, and all should be entertained

for those who are unable to make it this time, there’ll be more, we’ll see you next time

buckster
    Free Member

I’m sure you do, I was just kidding, have fun!

BadlyWiredDog

Hayfield camp site has camping pods, but i think they are quite big so might be costly.

Closed until 31 March – the most obvious local accommodation is the Travelodge in Glossop. There’s also quite a cool-looking mini-barn conversion thing up opposite Peep o’Day, right on one of the bridleways. This place:

https://www.homeaway.co.uk/p1871463

Onzadog
    Free Member

Easy to plan a route when it’s you and a handful of people you regularly ride with. These routes need a certain degree of fluidity as we won’t know until after the ride has started, what we’re actually capable of as a group.

Bunnyhop

RoCkEtDog (couldn’t resist) – you are welcome to stay at our gaff on Saturday night. Just email nbt if you’re taking up my offer. Promise I won’t snog you (well no tongues anyway). 😯

Thanks everyone for making me laugh loads.

upshift
    Free Member

Now if, hypothetically, one were to have just found out they’re free on Sunday, would a comically unfit rider on an 8yr old Carrera hardtail with Tektro vees be able to tackle the elusive route?

nbt

A previous pootle:

Helping hand by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

Have no doubt, this is proper mountain biking. There are cut outs to shorten the route, though some will involve riding along a main road. There will be rocks and stream crossings and some fairly technical riding. People will get off and walk at times. I’ve ridden these trails on a hardtail with vee brakes (some walking and not a little swearing might have been involved)

you’ll fit right in

(I realised half way through typing that that you weren’t asking about bringing along an 8 year old child riding a bike with v-brakes 🙂 )

(I should point out that in the pic above, minipips was about 7 yrs old I think, Crazylegs was riding CX and Rich was riding fixed CX)

upshift
    Free Member

I probably ride to an 8yr old’s standard though!

Awesome – as long as walking and swearing aren’t prohibited I should be fine!

MartynS

Upshift,

We normally work on the principle that if NBT can ride it anyone can…!

Just make sure you’ve got plenty thickness on the old brake pads.. can be a bit grindy round here!

h4muf
    Free Member

Absolutely buzzing for this! Bringing my brother in law with me.

Honestly thought these wouldn’t happen again!

markcurtains
    Free Member

😐

3rd or 4th Pootle since I joined here. All fallen when I’ve been working. Gutted

Pook

eh up everyone.

Cheers NBT for holding the fort. It’s gonna be good. Now’s kind of the natural time we’d be looking at the weather.

Looks like it’s going to be chilly and overcast, which is an improvement on the last one which was chilly and wet. So that’s something.

Markcurtains and those who can’t come. There’ll be more this year i should think.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Looking forward to this whatever the weather

Back door step pootle dont get much better

simon1975

Markcurtains and those who can’t come. There’ll be more this year i should think.

Excellent, I’ve enjoyed the more summery pootles in the past. Have a fabulous ride, everybody!

buckster
    Free Member

Seriously envious, hope the ride goes well, have fun 8)

crofts2007
    Free Member

The half hour looking for a dropped Garmin that had already been found was a highlight for me
    Was that the one found at the bottom of potato alley ?

Yes.
    Glad I made it onto the list of positive memories of past pootles. 🙂
    The Garmin now lives in my Camelbak on MTB rides.
    Did Hayfield loop over Christmas, plenty to go at around there; enjoy the ride, family over so can’t make it.
    Look forward to a summer outing when it happens.

paulb2

I’m going to be in Buxton this weekend so this would have been perfect but I also separated my should two weeks ago so hopefully next time.

Pook

[video]http://vimeo.com/20437375[/video]

BadlyWiredDog

The one with the random tandem(s)… I can’t believe that was six years ago.

Pook

Yeah it’s been funny looking back through the vids and seeing how old they are. I think I’ve had about three years off running them though

Pook

4 years!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

This was almost exactly 7 – SEVEN!!! – years ago. Where has the time gone?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Rd4ZhM]Derwent Valley Pootle January 2010[/url] by stilltortoise, on Flickr

Pook

and look how our relationship has since blossomed!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

…but have we ridden our bikes together since then??? 😆

nbt

I saw that pic and thought “ooh, that’s nicely lit”.

then I thought, “oooh, that looks like me!”

then I thought, “hang on, that looks like one of mine. It can’t be me”

It is one of mine. It isn’t me 🙂

I have pics from NINE previous pootles…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It is one of mine.

A few of us spent quite a bit of time sessioning that and the little step that leads onto the paving stones. I wondered who the photographer was 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

one day it will be on a weekend i can make it but its not this weekend

Bunnyhop

Loving the videos.
    Can’t make the pootle 🙁
    Not a happy bunny hop.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 226 total)

The topic ‘Peaks Pootle – 2017’ is closed to new replies.