Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Peaks: Leaving every gate wide open. (Rant)
  • hora
    Free Member

From the bottom of the Roman road to the top of the beast. Previously seen this elsewhere – its not naughty walkers or a Farmer as the gates arent ajar or a farmer herding on a quad etc nearby.

Its early morning cheeky twattery in vehicle (s). Irresponsible dickheads

vickypea
    Free Member

Selfish idiots!

rob-jackson
    Free Member

they know a fat bastard is on his way

benjii19
    Free Member

Strava doesn’t take into account shut gates. 😉

sprocker
    Free Member

Passed them last week, they had left them all

scotroutes

How do you know it’s not the landowner/manager doing it? Is there any livestock wandering around?

hora
    Free Member

Scotsroutes theres no cattle grids at the road ends and I doubt the farmer wants to be roaming for fun to round up missing sheep?

Plus 1.5-2miles/4 gates?

😆 Rob

cnud
    Free Member

All gates in correct formation by 11am, so good job. First time I’ve cleared from the bottom of Roman road to the bottom of Potato Alley yesterday(but I had mates in front on the gates)

munrobiker
    Free Member

There are too many gates in the peak. I appreciate that livestock has to be kept in place but half the gates could be removed and no one would miss out. I used to ride with a guy who thought that there should be “gates open” days in the peak. In the winter when all the stock is in that would be great.

At least as a step in the right direction they could at least all agree to use one simple gate closure that you can open without getting off the bike. At the moment there’s about fifty different locks and some are unfathomable.

And hora, get off your high horse about vehicles in the peak. If the national park keeps closing their legitimate routes what do you expect them to do?

hora
    Free Member

I used to respect 4×4 use in the Peaks. I think the final straw for me was seeing pathetic grafitti aimed at Jim Dixon…or was it the rammed new stainless steel gate?

munrobiker
    Free Member

The park authority doesn’t show them any respect, I don’t see why they shouldn’t reciprocate.

hora
    Free Member

One of them owns the power. What worries me is will any 4×4’s start being tits towards other users as a result? I.e the need to blame someone? I hope not. It’ll be zombie apocalypse with riders allover a fleeing 4×4 😉

vickypea
    Free Member

Vehicles in the Peak – motorbikes are ok (if a bit noisy and smelly) but admittedly I can rant all day about 4x4s using the same trails as walkers, horses, and mountain bikers. Every time I’ve come across them, they’re in large groups blocking the width of the trail so you have to squeeze yourself flat into a ditch so they can get past, and I can’t see why they shouldn’t have somewhere else to do it.
    Hmm I’d better shut up or I’ll get a mountain of STWs shouting at me like last time I ranted about 4x4s…

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I always thought it was a mistake to change the Countryside Code to “leave gates as you find them” from “always shut gates”. Now when I find an open gate it’s impossible to know whether it is legitimately open or not. Might these have been for some reason?

My inclination is to close it on the basis that a closed gate is potentially likely to cause less inconvenience than an incorrectly open one. But if a repeatedly closed gate is causing inconvenience to a landowner then surely it’s not beyond the wit of man to hang a temporary sign on it requesting it be left open.

Garry_Lager

There are too many gates in the peak. I appreciate that livestock has to be kept in place but half the gates could be removed and no one would miss out. I used to ride with a guy who thought that there should be “gates open” days in the peak. In the winter when all the stock is in that would be great.

Agreed – I wonder how many of these are for livestock enclosure, and how many are Farmer John marking his territory, like a pissing cat.
    The EU should offer the farmers a gate amnesty – £20 per gate. They’d disappear overnight in the Peak.

scotroutes

+1.

There are perfectly legitimate reasons for leaving gates in the open position.

Are the Peaks sheep not hefted?

hora
    Free Member

Install cattle grids everywhere and get rid of the main gates IMO.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I can rant all day about 4x4smountainbikers using the same trails as walkers, horses, and mountain bikers. Every time I’ve come across them, they’re in large groups blocking the width of the trail so you have to squeeze yourself flat into a ditch so they can get past, and I can’t see why they shouldn’t have somewhere else to do it.

Its great we all laugh about cheeky trails and then moan at others for not following the rules

4×4 , whatever i think of them, are just like us. They want to be there and if they are legally restricted some will do it anyway. Some ignore the laws , some do this responsibly some irresponsibly just like MTB’ers
    We had a thread on here about riding a SSSI and the consensus was it was fine. Our community is no better as it is drawn from humans, some of these rate respect for the environment below their fun however many wheels they have.

I am fairly sure gates are not put there just to annoy MTB ers by farmers pissing on their land

rob-jackson
    Free Member

HORA, how much work and cost for your convenience, tit

vickypea
    Free Member

Junkyard, you have leapt to the assumption that I ride on footpaths! A lot of people on STW leap to assumptions about me. Ok, i have occasionally ridden on a footpath but only late at night in the dark when there are no walkers about; therefore I don’t obstruct walkers or present a danger to them. My specific rant was about 4x4s blocking the trails to all orher users. Also, I don’t think it’s safe. I’ve had 4x4s and motorbikes riding right behind me down Charity Lane- so close that if I fell off I’d be under their wheels.

Si
    Free Member

MunroBiker…. Can you bob us an email i want to tap into some of your Scotcheggland knowledge…. Nothing in your profile!!

Si

Junkyard
    Free Member

It was not aimed at you, or any other individual but at the community.
    Sorry if it reads as a dig at you or anyone else on this thread as that was not the intention.
    Do you think walkers are not saying the same about us?
    Near misses with us etc
    Do you think we all ride responsibly etc.
    We [ as in the group of MTB’ers) can be accused of the same
    FWIW I do also ride footpaths and would like to say I do so responsibly but it still against the rules and no doubt angers some walkers – i know I have been told off before and no doubt will again – I often get it on BW never mind footpaths which i rarely ride.

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

The only positive comment I can make on this thread is that there are a lot of hysterical old women on here that need to settle down and get back to their knitting.

flossie
    Free Member

Not your problem…. Assume they are supposed to be open and enjoy a stop free ride!
    Farmers are W***ers! If they cant keep their ramshackle gates in good order they shouldn’t expect people to struggle closing them. end of!

vickypea
    Free Member

Fair enough Junkyard! I take your point, I was being a bit grumpy. Having seen the fuss some walkers make when they see MTB-ers on bridleways, I do generally avoid footpaths. I’ve yet to see any walkers out at 10 pm on a cold rainy night though!

By the way “Charity Lane” is in Macclesfield Forest, to anyone who’s interested 🙂

banks
    Free Member

Wind your neck in hora, it must of been horrible for you to find that gate open.

Si
    Free Member

Farmers are W***ers! If they cant keep their ramshackle gates in good order they shouldn’t expect people to struggle closing them. end of!

I think until you thoroughly understand Rights of Way maintenance, liability and responsibility I would avoid such narrow minded comments… But then again this is STW…

Nipper99
    Free Member

and farmers are w…..s how?!

GEDA
    Free Member

Well this is all a bit sad. As far as I can there are a load of selfish, uncaring, nimby Thatcherites on this thread that want all the pies but no responsibility.

hora
    Free Member

Banks I imagine farmers love the extra work locating cattle and sheep. Plus the twits who damage fencing etc. I dont think its alwaus weather related damage.

Oh and ‘wind my neck in’. Wow. Keep the gates shut. Or are you a reactionary fighting minor perceived oppression?

I’d love a farming side of the story.

bigjim

Well this is all a bit sad. As far as I can there are a load of selfish, uncaring, nimby Thatcherites on this thread that want all the pies but no responsibility.

Yeah some really disappointing attitudes on display here, I always assume mountain bikers must be nice people but that illusion is being shattered.

Farmers are W***ers

Wow, amazing. It’s the bikers that are coming across as the W***ers to me in this thread.

scotroutes

I’ll try asking again..

1/ Was there actually any livestock around?
    2/ Are the sheep hefted?

The land-manager might have wanted the gates left open.

scotroutes

Mountain bikers display the same mix of personality traits as any other sub-section of society, hence you get the good guys and the absolute dicks.

thepodge
    Free Member

If farmers want gates open they tend to chain them open

scotroutes

Not in my experience. Might be different where you live/ride though.

hora
    Free Member

@scotsroutes sheep where normally you dont come across them.

No sign of any farmers quad bikes
    Historically around here I’ve noticed:
    If the farmer wants a gate open he puts stone against said gate. Or chain. Or theres an open trailer or you spot him on a quad/covered quad bike.

No its a selfish childish **** driving something through ONE WAY. Didnt take rocketscience as you always spot/hear a farmer when he/they are about.

vickypea
    Free Member

I think the “farmer” comment was a bit tongue in cheek, not to be taken entirely seriously.

hora
    Free Member

“Not in my experience”

This is the Peaks not Scotland.

Ocassionally you do come across sheep at the side of the road along Snake Pass.

Gates are a PITA. Never seen one in the Surrey hills etc but then you dont see loads of sheep or cows..

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Ones that always make me laugh for years were the gates up Chapel Gate.There was so much space under the gates and by the side of the gate where there was holes in the fence any sheep could go anywhere.Cant say i have ever seen those gates ever left open not ridden the Roman road on my enduro bike for years hate gates bad enough on a MTB.Forest of Dean/Wilts/ etc hardy anygates WONDERFULL 😆

flossie
    Free Member

Sorry to disappoint but it was the ‘leave the gates open’ bit which was tongue in cheek and not the ‘All farmers are w***kers! I honestly despise the whinging scruffy obnoxious t**ts with every ounce of my being!
    Custodians of the countryside my arse! Exploiters of the countryside more like, if they love the countryside so much why are so many farms utter junkyards and why does every ramshackle barbed wire fence have their silage plastic flapping in the breeze?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Peaks: Leaving every gate wide open. (Rant)’ is closed to new replies.