• This topic has 38 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by hora.
Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Peaks- current riding conditions?
  • hora
    Free Member

Cavedale, Mam Tor etc- rivers of ice down Cavedale?

Anywhere grippy etc etc.

mjb

Very, very wet this morning, raining in the valley and the snow was rapidly disappearing although some will probably hang around on the tops and where it has drifted. Forecast is for it to get cold forthe weekend so should be nice and icy.

hora
    Free Member

Hmmm I bet its going to be icy central then!!

binners

Anywhere grippy

Anywhere grippy? Seriously? In the Peaks? In December? HELLO! How long is it you’ve lived in this country again? You’re a bloody observant bugger, aren’t you?

Its like every day when you wake up, your mind has been wiped clean. Like an etch-a-sketch you can start squigelling on. Every days a shiny new adventure, isn’t it? You’re like an over-eager puppy

deanfbm
    Free Member

^TBH, any of the open, rockey stuff is pretty grippy in all conditions (except ice).

When there’s this much water about, there’s mini streams following, as long as you’re following them, it’s more grippy than when it hasn’t rained for a couple of days.

hora
    Free Member

Its cold following rain. I’m going to die cry 😯

binners

Remember that day we were out and Pook had his…ahem… ‘incident’. We carried on and rode over Rushup Edge and down Chapel Gate on sheet ice and a dusting of snow. How the **** I didn’t end up in A&E I’ll never know. One of the stupidest things I’ve ever done

You do not want to be up there in conditions like that. Zero grip!

hora
    Free Member

I know. We had that two years in a row over the harshest winters :mrgreen:

British Army kit is ace.

sobriety
    Free Member

I find it more scary when there are rivers, since you have no way of telling if there’s a sheet of ice under the moving water, I ended up in a roadside ditch that way once.

binners

Anyway… whats all this riding on your own lark nowadays? Eh? I’m starting to take this personally.

You never want to spend any time with me any more. Its very hurtful. Do you stop for a minute to think about the damage its doing to my fragile self-esteem? Do you? 🙁

mjb

I’m starting to think it might be quite good this weekend. No more rain/snow forecast in the dark peak for a few days, lots of sunshine especially on Sunday. The cold weather should firm up the ground with maybe the odd patch of snow to keep things interesting. If you stay away from Kinder/Rushup Edge you should miss the worst of the ice.

hora
    Free Member

binners I was out two weeks ago on the wet pootle in the Peaks- then spent well over a week ill.

Your always welcome!

justatheory
    Free Member

Cut Gate was proper muddy last Saturday and it’s been raining quite a bit since. I wouldn’t fancy Cavedale if there’s any chance of ice, it’s bad enough at the best of times.

binners

Its too late. You’ve really upset me now

*bursts into tears*

crazy-legs

Peaks conditions:
    Wet. Cold.

here endeth the forecast.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Quite alot of water about. Rode Lockerbrook and Hagg Farm particularly cos they would be drier that alot of other places. Lockerbrook was tops. Though I wore goggles and needed em.

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Oh yeah that was yesterday that I rode. Snow up on the tops – kinder, mam tor etc but not a full covering. its snowed today in sheff so I guess it may have been snowing heavier out there!!! Going out tomorrow so fingers crossed.

hora
    Free Member

Let me know where you ride and conditions tomorrow STW Weather Gal 8)

amodicumofgnar

Its been raining at all levels around Edale today, most of the overnight snow covering has gone to slush and mush. Looks like its mainly going to be rain except on the summit of Kinder perhaps rushup edge tonight. If it clears and freezes a world of glassy icey horror awaits.

antigee

the webcam at outside in hathersage confirms that current conditions are dark

http://www.outside.co.uk/latest/weather but is useful in daylight – the detailed forecast – pdf is good as has temperatures at different levels though i asssume the 600m one is so paragliders gonads don’t explode

crispedwheel
    Free Member

We were there bivvying last weekend – conditions generally pretty good. Drifted snow on the BW on the north side of Mam Tor, but apart from that it was fine – some snow and ice higher up, plenty enough grip on the shaken road, jaggers clough, roman road, ‘the screaming mile’ (ta to the chaps we were chatting to – didn’t know the name for that section before then), potato alley, winstone lee tor etc.

hopevalley

Wet, very wet!

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

Its very white

flyingmonkeycorps

Wolves. There are definitely wolves out there. And possibly a snow leopard.

binners

You’ll definitely die if you go up there. No question!

Or if you do somehow survive, we can expect to see one of those clips on the news. You know the ones. Exasperated Mountain Rescue bloke sighs into the camera, saying “its this kind of utterly idiotic and irresponsible behavior that puts lives at risk……”

justatheory
    Free Member

I’ve never been in a helicopter 💡

hora
    Free Member

Well at least it isn’t -9 like it was up there last time. Binners, yes I remember Pook keeling over. If felt like alot lower in the basin/areas where the sun hadn’t reached so I reckon circa -10-12 in those!

binners

It certainly felt that cold. We really are bloody idiots, aren’t we?

flyingmonkeycorps

I bet you were all wearing shorts too. I have a friend like that, it’ll be 9 below, freezing sleet and gale force winds and he’ll be there in a pair of shorts and a Fox DH jersey. He’s not even any good downhill!

hora
    Free Member

Pook is like that but if you see him with his top off he looks like

flyingmonkeycorps

Oh I wish I had a picture of Gav to show you. There’s one on Facebook (I think) of him wearing just his body armour in the Alps… It’s a truly beautiful sight for sure.

sobriety
    Free Member

I bet you were all wearing shorts too. I have a friend like that, it’ll be 9 below, freezing sleet and gale force winds and he’ll be there in a pair of shorts and a Fox DH jersey. He’s not even any good downhill!

I had a mate who used to do that, fortunately I was carrying a spare jacket the time he actually went hypothermic.

simonm
    Free Member

shit load of snow this morning…and still coming…odly Hayfield side has a load of snow and Castleton it appears to be raining
    http://www.18bikes.co.uk/content/peak_district_weather_18.php

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Not sure if I’m looking forward to tomorrow or not!

JonBurns
    Free Member

Suppose on the plus side there’s no risk of storm force winds, gales, persistent rain or strong sunlight.

lardhelliwell
    Free Member

Suns just coming out in Hope,winds dropped a bit as well.

simonm
    Free Member

thats true, there is not a breath of wind

ratswithwings
    Free Member

Total white out on the top of winn hill. Snowy and icy aswell though not much snow atall. Snowing whilst we were there today, up on the hills and in the bottom of the valley but as you can see in the picture – its all green on the lower slopes. Pretty wet out there. Today’s bonus was that I found a new trail that some naughty people have built.

hora
    Free Member

Thank you for the update 🙂

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Peaks- current riding conditions?’ is closed to new replies.