Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • PEAKS Best nice pub to take a 70 yr old for her birthday
  • Pook

it’s our neighbour’s 70th on Friday, so we’re going to take her out at the weekend for lunch.
    I’m thinking somewhere in the peaks – either a nice pub or a decent cafe but my mind’s blank.

Any suggestions?

dan1980
    Free Member

I can recommend food from any of the following:

Yorkshire Bridge in Bamford
    Lantern Pike in Little Hayfield
    Cheshire Cheese in Hope (?)
    Ladybower Inn near Ladybower
    Millstone in Hathersaqe
    The Foxhouse above Gridleford

49er_Jerry
    Free Member

Ladybower

rogerthecat
    Free Member

There’s a new owner / chef at the Sam Fox in Bradda a bit nuvelle teeny portions but v nice.
    I would head for chopt on the Hathersage road nice deli style food, window seats watching the bird tables and river, friendly.

RustySpanner

Rising Sun in Bamford.
    Lovely building, amazing food.

BadlyWiredDog

Possibly a bit far for you, but the Old Hall Inn in Chinley is absolutely bang on.

dan1980
    Free Member

I forgot the Red Lion in Litton. Cracking place!

jfletch
    Free Member

Yorkshire Bridge in Bamford
    Lantern Pike in Little Hayfield
    Cheshire Cheese in Hope (?)
    Millstone in Hathersaqe
    The Foxhouse above Gridleford

Some nice pubs on there but you have to question the validity of a list of good pubs for food if it includes the Foxhouse.

My vote is for the Cross Sythes in Totley (which admitedly is just outside the National Park but does great food.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just for the quantity…..luckily the quality is ok as well.

RustySpanner

I have to say the Yorkshire Bridge has been vile on both occaisions I’ve eaten there.

ahwiles
    Free Member

the Barrel?

(sort of near Eyam)

stunning views.

cuckoo
    Free Member

Devonshire Arms Beeley

rob-jackson
    Free Member

bulls head ashford or bulls head foolow
    red lion litton

woody21
    Free Member

Royal Oak at Hurdlow, various pubs in Great Longstone, Bowling Green in Winster – my preference the Royal Oak

woody21
    Free Member

Barrel Inn at Bretton

bearnecessities

it’s our neighbour’s 70th on Friday, so we’re going to take her out at the weekend for lunch

That makes me happy.

18bikes

packhorse, little longstone.

dannybgoode

Ladybower Inn is very very nice
    Scotsmans Pack in Hathersage also very good.

They would be my choices.

theteaboy
    Free Member

Scotsman’s is good.

Where are you coming from? If Sheffield, the Strines is amazing.

hora
    Free Member

Is she nice?

Giggity

sadexpunk

Where are you coming from? If Sheffield, the Strines is amazing.

ate in the strines yesterday 🙂 was quite good actually, no complaints, altho the menu was a little basic, not much to whet the appetite. but yes, what we got was good. nice setting too.

dan1980
    Free Member

Some nice pubs on there but you have to question the validity of a list of good pubs for food if it includes the Foxhouse.

I ate there towards the latter part of this winter (can’t remember an exact date) and thought the food was actually pretty good. When the only bitter they did was Stones, the food was terrible, but my last experience was definitely in the upper part of the “good” bracket, and I had a pint of Black Sheep, so the beer had improved too.

scotchegg
    Free Member

Gateway to the Peaks is Ashbourne. I will recommend the Bowling Green.

The food is brilliant and prepared from fresh. Not a microwave in sight.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Strines really? possibly the worst place I’ve eaten in a long time. No actually the Three merry lads at Lodge Moor was worse, just. It has been a couple of years but it was like a time warp to 1982 and not in a good way.

I’d second the Barrel at Bretton, it was nice when I last went around Christmas. And Felicinis in Bakewell, been a few times this summer but it’s a bit more upmarket than a cafe.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Or the Queen Anne at Great Hucklow.

ChrisF
    Free Member

We’ve taken our neighbour (for her 92nd, 93rd and 94th birthdays no less!) out for afternoon tea at the Cavendish Hotel in Baslow, in their Graden Room. It’s a lovely slice of old fashioned englishness.

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Not a local myself, but I really liked the Monsal Head Hotel when I was there on holiday. Proper beauty spot surrounding it and it did a great, if a bit pricey, Sunday roast.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

So where did you take her in the end?

Pook

I meant to say yesterday, we went to the barrel at Bretton. Fantastic Sunday lunch and she really enjoyed it.

Thanks for all your help folks.

lasty
    Free Member

Top banana – heartwarming story…

jamiea
    Free Member

For future reference we always enjoy the Monsal Head in the White Peak, whether it be in the dining room or the stable block.

Cheers,
    Jamie

RustySpanner

Sorry for the thread ressurection.

But in the interests of fairness, just had to say that we stayed at the Yorkshire Bridge again this weekend and the food, room, beer and service were all excellent this time.
    Very pleasant stay indeed.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘PEAKS Best nice pub to take a 70 yr old for her birthday’ is closed to new replies.