Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Peak District trails advice please
  • fd3chris
    Free Member

Hi guys I’m a southerner moved to Liverpool a couple of years ago and have gone to Llandegla when time allows to ride. I recently bought both of the trail guide books to the white and dark peaks which has me really wanting to try. I have found the gpx files which I can download onto my bolt, first time that will have been tried, so I’m not too concerned with getting lost. I’m starting with the white peak and so which is the best, easiest, driest maybe trail to start on and get a feel for it all? Thanks

thegeneralist
    Free Member

In true STW fashion, can I ignore part of what you said and suggest you start in the dark peak. No reason apart from the fact that I can’t find my white peak book.

Actually , scratch that. Just remembered, do the froggat loop as that’s the only one I can recall. And it’s easy.

BadlyWiredDog

I’m more of a Dark Peak local. If I were you I’d maybe go and do a loop around / above Hayfield as an introduction to Peak riding. It’ll give you a feel for what it’s like without being an overly big mouthful of rockiness. I just think it’s more, erm, Peaky than the White Peak stuff, though some of that’s good too.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dannyh
    Free Member

Don’t be lulled by the thought that the White Peak is less brutal. In terms of out and out hill size and rockiness it is, just, but limestone is as slippery as hell with any moisture on it.

The Dark Peak flatters a mediocre to average rider (like me) more.

ta11pau1

Following, seeing as I have 2 days based at Langsett coming up in a couple of weeks.

First time in the peak district, and apart from cut gate, I’ll be lost!

Garry_Lager

Jacob’s ladder loop is classic in the Dark Peak and very representative of the riding. Not all that far (approx 15 miles) but it’s a hard 15.
    Depends how Southern you are – if you’re not that experienced you should prob do a few easier runs to get a feel for the place. Or shout on here to go with a group.
    If you’ve a good amount of riding under your belt then just dive in.

Aidy
    Free Member

I’d always go Hope Triple 8 as a Peaks intro

fd3chris
    Free Member

Thanks guys I just wanted to start with the white peak as it’s closer to me and I recognise some of the town’s from driving around with work. My fitness isn’t great at the moment hence the request for easier trails to start with. I’ve been riding many years ,like most on here so technical shouldn’t be an issue .

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Lady Cannings over to Devils Elbow (there’s a tricky singletrack across the moors or an easier rocky point and shoot down Jumble Rd). Up and over to the trig point, bomb down to the jump line through the gate at the bottom, then 3 of the Blacka Moor DH tracks.

Starts easy then progresses with a bit of everything thrown in. You get berms and small built jumps, then some natural rock smashing, some bigger jumps, hips and doubles. Then some short and fun natural DH to finish, before climbing all the way back up on the road (pain in the arse) and round Houndkirk Moor back up to Lady Cannings.

jree
    Free Member

Dm me your phone number and I’ll send you a load of easy to hard route guides starting from marple roman lakes. Also if you fancy a ride out I can show you few good bits too. I’m not far from you I’m near Warrington mate

jekkyl

The wyevale and cheedale ride from the white peak book is a good introduction and doesn’t have any tech really, there are some pretty steep inclines though so watch out. I usually start it from here rather than where the book suggests as it’s more westerly.
    Chee Dale Layby
    Buxton SK17 9TF
    https://goo.gl/maps/vSxAZBVBefdWdJAg6

I’d also recommend the Macc forest classic as a good introduction.

tykebike
    Free Member

@ta11pau1 – If you are based at or near Langsett then you are within 10/15mins (by car) of Wharncliffe Woods in which there are some real technical trails and downhills to keep you busy for a couple of days at least. Another 5 mins and you are at Grenoside Woods for flatter, manicured tracks that can bring a smile to your face. If you park in the top car park on Woodhead Road just before you get into Grenoside Village then across the road is Genocide Woods or go down the fire road to Wharncliffe Woods

robbo1234biking

This is a good route for about 3 hours.

http://peakdistrictmtb.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Peak-District-MTB-All-Weather-Route-Update-2020.pdf

Did it a couple of weeks ago and wasn’t an issue in the wet.

ta11pau1

@ta11pau1 – If you are based at or near Langsett then you are within 10/15mins (by car) of Wharncliffe Woods in which there are some real technical trails and downhills to keep you busy for a couple of days at least. Another 5 mins and you are at Grenoside Woods for flatter, manicured tracks that can bring a smile to your face. If you park in the top car park on Woodhead Road just before you get into Grenoside Village then across the road is Genocide Woods or go down the fire road to Wharncliffe Woods

Cheers, one to look at.

TBH I’m really looking to do some proper ‘big’ peak rides, I’ve got several multi-day rides coming up with wildbike – so 90% natural trails – starting with exmoor/dartmoor/quantocks, then south lake district, then 2 weeks in the tweed valley/cairngorms, so I want some practice on big climbs and big natural, rocky descents! We just don’t have these in Kent.

Something like the Hope triple 8 looks good, there’s just so many rides to choose from.

https://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/peak-district-mtb-routes/ has some good ones it seems.

rascal
    Free Member

Don’t like the sound of Genocide Woods much. Those trails are murder! 😉

ta11pau1

‘killer trails’ 😀

Cut gate will be a nice ‘qualifier’ ride to see what I’m gonna be capable of on the 2nd day, I’ve done local 34km/21m rides with 730m/2400ft of climbing, but 2400ft of Kent climbing =/= 2400ft of peak district climbing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Peak District trails advice please’ is closed to new replies.