Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Peak District this weekend?
  • dawson

I was wondering if anybody was riding in the Peak District this weekend would they mind if I tag along?

Despite living quite close i haven’t ridden over that way.

I’ll sign a disclaimer/promise not to sue if I fall off and I’ll bring my own packed lunch… 😉

thepodge
    Free Member

you should have posted this 2 days ago then I could have had a valid excuse to avoid my dad on Saturday and my mum on Sunday.

dawson

still a few days to re-arrange with the olds!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stilltortoise
    Free Member

would happily have taken you out but off to Fort Bill for the World Cup. Yay!

squiff
    Free Member

I will ride with you if your riding on the Saturday, where abouts were you going to ride in the peaks

dawson

As I haven’t any Peaks experience I was hoping to tag along with somebody who knows a route!

I was thinking Sheffield-ish area?

I hadn’t really decided on a day, I can do either.

squiff
    Free Member

I have a map for jacobs ladder area I think :?, I have never done it b4, but it seems properly with alot of people and I fancy doing it.

dawson

something like this?

i’m up for a couple of hours of that – i don’t think it would be wise for my first jaunt up there to be an all day epic!

squiff
    Free Member

YES, perfect, where do you want to meet and wot time??

alexpalacefan

If you’re about on Saturday in Sheffield, why not come along to Peace in the Park

A

thepodge
    Free Member

If you’re about on Saturday in Sheffield, why not come along to Peace in the Park

depending on what time I get back from York I should be popping down to that

dawson

@ Squiff – let me look into logistics and i’ll get back to you. 10am-ish sound ok?

is the route on that link similar to what you had planned?

southernsteel
    Free Member

I’ve only been in sheffield for a while and often go on evening rides when its cooler. So if you want to come along one night. I’ve just been exploring the map on my own. Up to you…….

dawson

judging by the weather forecast I have seen for the weekend, it may well be ‘cooler’ during the day than of recent!

squiff
    Free Member

@ dawson

Yes that map on the link looks like the one I have got, OK, I will wait to hear from you, you can email me if you want which should be in my profile

Squiff

thepodge
    Free Member

i may well be up for some evening rides now it doesn’t go dark till late

dawson

@ squiff – YGM

squiff
    Free Member

@ dawson -YGM

southernsteel
    Free Member

I’ll be going for a ride tomorrow eveing if anyone fancies it.

thepodge
    Free Member

where were you thinking?

Pieface

That Jacobs Ladder route is better done the other way round IMO.

Although if you’re unsure about descending it and its busy, then prolly better the way described, but its more uphill with little in the way of good downhill the way described in the link.

dawson

@ podge – me and squiff are meeting at 10am on saturday at the Edale car park and doing jacobs ladder/ hollins cross type thing.

edit – sorry if you were asking southernsteel!

thepodge
    Free Member

yeah, I cant make this weekend, post was aimed at southernsteel.

southernsteel
    Free Member

@thepodge Probably around lady Cannings plantation then blacka plantation. Just a few hours. If you have any nice little loops around sheffield it would be cool to do some new stuff.

dawson

nowt wrong with a bit of climbing!

as its the first time and i’m not 100% on the directions it’ll be a case of ‘suck it and see’!

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

I prefer that way round. Jacob’s Ladder isn’t a great descent in my opinion. Plus, the whole return leg is more fun from north to south. It’s an age old argument with ardent supporters on either side though!

thepodge
    Free Member

@southernsteel, I didn’t know there were any trails about lady Cannings plantation. all I knew round there was the Roman road and the couple of tracks crossing it. are there trails in there or did you mean the way marked paths?

I’d happily suggest Wharncliffe if you fancy it, partly cos i’m lazy and can ride there from my house and partly because i’m trying to build up a knowledge of the woods to work out some new loops as there are hundreds of tracks that look loads of fun.

southernsteel
    Free Member

I guess I mean the waymraked ones. NOt sure though. Blacka plantation is better. I’d love to go around Wharncliffe. Its a bit further for me to ride there but i dont mind. How long were you thinking?

thepodge
    Free Member

see i’m in hillsborough so its dead easy for me, flat 3.5 from here to the woods instead of 7.1 miles uphill from here to lady Cannings. the loop round Wharncliffe is about 10 miles I think.

southernsteel
    Free Member

Sounds good. It wont take me long to hillsborough. I just looked at the wharncliffe site and it looks cool.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

You doing the xc red chaps?

southernsteel
    Free Member

I’m not sure. If it happens I’ll be following the podge.

thepodge
    Free Member

sorry for the late reply chaps, popped to the shops and bumped into my cousin, got talking etc…

yeah the red with the black downhill then a blast through some hidden singletrack back into the borough of hills. fancy joining us ourkidsam?

could you both email me podge1000 @ hotmail .com and we’ll swap numbers / sort times and places. I’m out for my tea wi the girlfriend in a bit but will be back tomorrow morning to sort it all out.

southernsteel
    Free Member

podge has mail

thepodge
    Free Member

Podge has seen and replied to said mail.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Peak District this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.