Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Peak district routes local knowledge help please!
  • Locoboy
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m heading to Hartington in the central southern peak district in a couple of weeks with some mates for a ride and I’m looking for some local knowledge!

I have ridden a loop from hartington here https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4602525

Starting at Hartington would be great as we are staying in the village for a couple of nights but the ride is a bit bland that I have done before.

And one from Great Longstone 20 mon drive away here https://ridewithgps.com/routes/7901340

This is a better ride and starts and finishes at the Packhorse inn, my favourite pub of all time! does anyone know any other loops in the area or any bits I can add onto either of these routes?

Skill level wise we have a mix of abilities, from a guy who moved to the French Alps for the riding and rides everything they throw at him to one guy who whilst if fit enough doesn’t really do any ‘mountain’ biking.

We don’t really want to go to the North peaks as it’s a stag weekend so we want to keep the driving to a minimum!

Any help appreciated, cheers

Col

jekkyl

Consider Macc forest start at Wildboarclough or Bakewell. You’re right in the middle of both. I enjoy the loops round Bakewell but they’re not overly technical.

How do your group feel about cheeky? As there’s some great stuff in the Goyt Valley just to the north.

munrobiker
    Free Member

There’s plenty of good cheeky stuff over in Matlock, specifically around Cromford, that’s riding really well now.

I’d take your second route over the first, but there’s a lot of dross in it. I’d recommend driving just a touch further and doing this ride (ignoring the extension to Baslow, it’s just easier for me to park there)

It’s got a big hill for your fit lad and some good tech for the other rider, without being so technical it’s scary. It’s a lot of fun, although there’s quite a bit of footpath in it.

slowoldman

Consider Macc forest

How is access now?

jekkyl

I dunno Oldman. I’d have hoped given the timescale it’d all be good. I’ll ping Carlos.

Locoboy
    Free Member

@munrobiker any chance you could fire me over the gpx / tcx for that loop? or point me to that ride on strava so I can look in detail and plot it myself maybe?

Did you ride it anticlockwise or clockwise?, any recommendations for a place to start/finish so you have a decent finish (I.e not at the top of the big hill lol)

Thanks for your answers so far guys.

Col

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Peak district routes local knowledge help please!’ is closed to new replies.