Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • peak district rides.
  • macmclaren
    Free Member

hey, im down on a course in penistone and will be staying down over the weekend (20-21 march)so i thought i would bring my bike down.

Happy days. Now all i need is some local knowledge on some good trails and singletrack. As long as it starts and ends around the same location. Obv where my car will be then all info and advice is most welcome.

Many thanks, Mac

beefy

Cut gate starts at Langset reservoir, just over a hill or two awat, you can cycle it easily from penistone. Just google cut gate and there will be loads about it.

Wharncliffe is nearby, but is super muddy.

I would have offered to meet up as I live in Holmfirth, which is near, but I am off to ride Helvellyn in the lakes that weekend.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

cutgate is a very silly suggestion!! think about how wet it will be

bry4n
    Free Member

Depends on how long you want to ride for. A ride into and around Wharnecliffe could take anything from 2 – 4 hours, however, you may need some local knowledge to keep to the dry paths (they do exist). A quick 2 hour ride from Penistone around langset res. and back is dry enough. To ride over Cut Gate and back will take 5 – 6 hours and will be very wet in places so you’ll end up pushing. Unfortunately I have visitors all that weekend so I’m not riding, however if you require any information on rides let me know.

thepodge
    Free Member

the run round Langsett res is a nice simple one. its one of my faves for after work

thefallguy
    Free Member

cutgate to the cairn and back isn’t too wet, only a couple of boggy sections, rode it last week, the down is one of the best in the dark peak, ride is approx 10 miles from Langsett allow 2-3hrs

Pieface

Wharncliffe will be crap without local knowledge, and will be gloopy as a gloopy thing

macmclaren
    Free Member

looking for a good 4 hour ride. not too worried about getting muddy. Just looking forward to riding in a new area on trails ive never been on.

Cheers

thefallguy
    Free Member

from Langsett do the cut gate path and keep going, drop down to ladybower round the reservoirs taking in climb or two (hagg side etc) then back over the cut gate, classic route! can be an all dayer if you take in diversions, win hill, the beast etc etc. lots of info online.

macmclaren
    Free Member

perfect. cheers mate. will go searching google now. Thanks

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘peak district rides.’ is closed to new replies.