Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Peak District ride – which bike
  • fatbikedog
    Free Member

Next weekend I am doing the peak district ride organised by Evans cycles. I live in south wales and have never ridden in this area. My choices are -: Surly Wednesday fatbike with bluto forks and 1×10 gearing, or Titus Fireline titanium 29er with fox 34’s and 2×10 gearing. I ride the fatbike most of the time because it is more fun and last weekend completed the Exmoor Explorer on it. But common sense is telling me a lighter weight 29er would be better. Evans rate this ride as 5/5 for climbing. Both bikes descend really well. What do singletrack readers suggest -obviously what they own!  all comments appreciated.

matt_outandabout

Whichever you enjoy most. Assuming Dark Peak it’s steep and rocky, real rocky. Then some gloop in between rocks, with added mud.

If White/south, then it’s steep and slippery limestone.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Which one is pointing towards the door?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which one is most in need of a clean? You might as well finish getting it dirty first.

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    jekkyl

The climbs aren’t horrendous, well some might be but not that bad. Some of the downhill is very technical indeed so take whichever bike you’re more comfortable descending tech on.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

None of the climbs in the peak are that bad or that long (with the exception of swines back to Jacobs ladder which deserves a special place in hell for its longevity if nothing else). Most of them are short (ish) and sharp, but all rideable by on overweight middle aged man who doesn’t ride his bike enough *waves*. Equally none of the legal trails are that steep or techy on the down so ride what ever you enjoy most that got Circe 140mm + suspension (for comfort – awaits castigation by many who say you don’t need thatfof the peak)

colournoise

On that route and with a choice of two hardtails, I’d take the fatbike as long as the wheels and tyres can take a hammering. Potentially more fun, and will totally psyche out the other riders.

BadlyWiredDog

I can’t believe that route takes you up to Mam Nick on the road. What a horror show bit of route planning.

Also the stretch of the A624 above Little Hayfield is busy of a weekend and, if I read the route correctly, involves a right turn on a half-blind bend – I’d be very, very careful on that section. Hopefully they’ll marshal that turn off, but it’s not something I’d do unless I really had to.

Then again, their road route – next day I think – tends to take people over busy main A-roads on a summer Sunday. The Snake Pass, if I remember correctly, around mid-day. Wouldn’t touch it.

Anyway… I’d take whichever bike you’re happiest with and bear in mind that you’ll be slogging up a steepish road climb halfway round if that makes any difference to you choice.

Edit: sorry if that seems a bit negative, but they do the same routes every year and the road one in particular seems badly thought out for a mass ride on a summer weekend in the middle of the busiest National Park in the UK.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I can’t believe that route takes you up to Mam Nick on the road. What a horror show bit of route planning.

True. That is truly woeful. I can’t believe they have the cheek to charge real money for that piece of planning. The ride up from edale to hollins and then up the slabs to man tor is one of the best ascents around.

Ho hum

rubymurry
    Free Member

fatbike definitely, did the route few years ago

fatbikedog
    Free Member

Thanks everyone it looks like I am taking the fatbike. Happy days!

chrismac

True. That is truly woeful. I can’t believe they have the cheek to charge real money for that piece of planning. The ride up from edale to hollins and then up the slabs to man tor is one of the best ascents around.

Or at least go up chapel gate so you are off road.

tlr

I saw the road route, and had to look twice when I saw the Snake Pass on it – whoever  planned that should be shot. Properly dangerous, blind road to ride on.

I’m local and I’ve only ridden it a few times, mostly when it was closed for road works.

BadlyWiredDog

Or at least go up chapel gate so you are off road.

I’m guessing that the thinking goes along the lines of the trail up to Hollins Cross being mostly a push for a lot of people. The Greenlands climb meaning sending riders along the narrow, twisty road towards Edale with limited sight lines. And climbing Chapel Gate missing out the crest of Rushup Edge between Mam Nick and the top of the trough / descent, so I can sort of see why the road makes some sort of sense for a mass ride, but it’s really not very nice.

On the same basis, I can see why the Middle Moor section is problematic as you either ride up the zig-zags on the A624, which is unpleasant, bypass them on the permissive footpath (which isn’t really an option) or do what they’re doing and turn left towards Little Hayfield with an iffy righthand turn on a bend with poor visibility.

Anyway… have fun, stay safe, enjoy 🙂

andybanks
    Free Member

I’m riding this on Saturday also and just taking my 26″ hardtail.

I assume that will do the job just fine.

What are the offroad sections like? I’m on a well-worn set of On One smorgasbord tyres, which are great at the moment on the dry trails. Stick with these or get a fresh set on with some grip? I’m not sure what the terrain/conditions are like over there.

BadlyWiredDog

It’s dry, gritty, loose and rocky generally. The only place you might get softer is the rutted grassy stuff on the middle section of Rushup Edge which is maybe 400 metres worth. Personally I’d run something grippy on the front and keep your worn Smorg out back, but then I tend to run a Minion DHF front and a Rock Razor rear all year round. Your call really, but there’s not a lot of damp stuff and won’t be unless we get a biblical deluge over the next day or two. Peak local btw. HTH.

BadlyWiredDog

I saw the road route, and had to look twice when I saw the Snake Pass on it – whoever  planned that should be shot. Properly dangerous, blind road to ride on.

I’m local and I’ve only ridden it a few times, mostly when it was closed for road works.

It’s actually pretty good if you ride it early on a Sunday morning, the climb from the Glossop side is a nice gradient and has really good sightlines in the main, so doesn’t feel too bad bar the sharp left-hander near the bottom, and you can big-ring it all the way down the other side even if it’s nasty and twisty in parts, but I wouldn’t want to ride it on a busy summer weekend as part of a group ride. Holme Moss is a much quieter option and a better climb tbh.

fatbikedog
    Free Member

andybanks, may see you on Saturday then.

andybanks
    Free Member

Well that was a brutal ride!

Tip for anyone next year – take a full suss, not a hardtail if oonoy for the extra traction on the climbs .

trevmccdonald
    Free Member

It is very hilly, slow-going and hard. The climbs are much more difficult than the descents.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Peak District ride – which bike’ is closed to new replies.