Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Peak District query – shortcut to Stanage Edge
  • muzzle
    Free Member

Has anyone ever ridden the concessionary footpath (orange dotted line on OS map) that runs below Redmires reservoirs, from Fulwood Lane to the bottom of the byway that goes up to Stanedge Pole from SW corner of Redmires? I’m fully aware of the legalities of it, just wondering if it’s actually rideable or a mudbath?

Looks like a good shortcut to avoid all that boring road round the top of Redmires when heading to Stanage from Sheffield.

Cheers for any assistance.

jeffm
    Free Member

Yes perfectly rideable, not often anyone on it so not usually a problem…… Apart from it being a footpath.

al2000

Rode it a few years ago, and was rideable but not very interesting and a bit of a mudbath – you’re not missing anything by going on the road.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

the first bit off fulwood head lane is through a farmers yard with a hugh pile of rotting cow crap that leaks a nasty liquid all over the path. This invariably ends up all over your bike. Apart from that not a bad path.

there is a steep rutted grass downhill with a wooden style at the bottom, not easy to stop in the wet, so take care if doing it at night

christhetall
    Free Member

there is a steep rutted grass downhill with a wooden style at the bottom, not easy to stop in the wet, so take care if doing it at night

Even harder in snow !

The bit below that, a tight singletrack through the trees, is quite good but often frequented by walkers – a mate got a right b*llocking there once, and has avoided it ever since !

martinhutch

Some bloke on UKClimbing was bragging about pushing a MTBer into Redmires Conduit a while back. So, yes, you may encounter some interesting walkers. 😀

JonEdwards
    Free Member

the first bit off fulwood head lane is through a farmers yard with a hugh pile of rotting cow crap that leaks a nasty liquid all over the path. This invariably ends up all over your bike. Apart from that not a bad path.

This is a different trail I think? OP is talking about the one that goes across Rud Hill and White Stones. not the one that goes through Redmires Plantation -past the house with the Cadillac parked up?

The OPs one I think I’ve walked and is a bit of a mudfest.

Pieface

This path http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=427052&y=384546&z=115&sv=427052,384546&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=523&ax=427052&ay=384546&lm=0 is a quagmire on the top in summer.

There is however another footpath that starts here and ends in the same place (bottom of byway) http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=427032&y=385489&z=115&sv=427032,385489&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=523&ax=427032&ay=385489&lm=0 and skirts round the reservoirs that is OK. It si s bit slidey in places and is mostly OK. The worst bits have recently been flagged so is probably ok.

christhetall
    Free Member

Not even walked the Rud Hill/White Stones track, but yep can believe it would be a quagmire

Been meaning to do the one around the reservoir for a few years now, but that would definitely be one for dry summer evening IMHO

muzzle
    Free Member

Yep I was referring to the Rud Hill/ White Stones path. To be avoided then…?

msjhes2
    Free Member

I did the second of these last night and it was fine. As someone has mentioned what was the boggy bit has now been flagged. The only muddy bit was the last hundred yards through the cow poo as you rejoined the road.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Peak District query – shortcut to Stanage Edge’ is closed to new replies.