• This topic has 17 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Peak District MTB Dig day @ The Roaches 14th April
  • carlos
    Free Member

So then, just had this link pop up on my FB page.

http://peakdistrictmtb.org/event/dig-days-spring-2018-trail-maintenance-schedule/

I’ve not done a dig day before and as this ones a new venture in developing The Roaches, I’ve signed up for it. I’m sure I’ll drag along a few mates too. It’s good to give something back right??

Anyone else giving up a Saturday?

Carlos

Pook

Great little bit of coverage of yesterday’s on dialled mag. They’re great fun and yeah it’s important to put something back, but I tell you what – it’s completely selfish but nothing beats the feeling of riding something and being able to say “I fixed that”

Enjoy! It’s a right laugh.

And the Roaches too is potential new access. PDMTB are working on it!

Peak District MTB Dig Day – Aston Bridleway

stilltortoise
    Free Member

If you want to get involved on April 14th, drop me a line danATpeakdistrictmtb.org. Biscuits provided 🙂

Cheers

Pook

.biscuitsprovided

Good ISP?

jekkyl

I am in negotiations with the boss but it’s looking unlikely. I might have to do all the bedtimes for a year to attend.

Can we ride bikes after too?

and

What kind of biscuits? 😊

carlos
    Free Member

Biscuits??? DO NOT TELL Fast Si…

1) he’ll eat them all

2) you won’t have enough

3) see No 1

might be 6 of us and our plan is have a ride, meet the group, dig stuff, ride some more, go to the pub

Carlos

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Can we ride bikes after too?

Personally speaking, I’ll have had too many biscuits to do a ride after, but I may change my mind…

🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

interesting carlos – may well be free that day as mrs is in London, not sure yet, would probs do as you have said and ride to it and help out as much as possible, then ride on again…

if the main bridleway is the bit in question to be repaired (once it flattens out into a bog at the top) then it is in desperate need of some attention

carlos
    Free Member

Dave – Should be a good day and I’m all for helping sort out the boggy mess along the wall from the woods up to the end of the ridge as it is a right mess and only getting worse. There’s 7 of us now inc Garry and Neil, but not sure how many will ride, dig, ride.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool – ill keep an eye out then, it all depends on trains mrs needs a lift to the station so will be dependant on what time that faff is

but if not ill just turn it into a ride (if the weathers good), be good to put something back in

I remember (old during the war stylee comment coming) years and years ago, back in the very beginning of us discovering gradbach (think I showed you one sunday morning first ever meeting!) and you could actually ride down the whole descent, inc the bog (which was a bog then just wet), all the way along, seems donkeys ago, its gone very bad very very rapidly now though

carlos
    Free Member

Be good to see ya and have a catch up too. Even if you only come for a hour or so and stop mid ride

Was about 5 years ago iirc and from the gate at the top it was a great decent all the way to the ford @ Gradbach. Its such a mess and poor as a descent or climb. the bit on the left as you go up seems worse every time we head that way  Not sure what the plan is, but getting it to drain would be a good 1st call.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeh you too, would be good nick a buiscuit mid ride, riding time is precious these days so will really have to incorporate it in to a ride, but yep gladly help out as long as I can

yep it used to be an ace descend all the way down, from sand, to rocks, to sand, then just full on rocks down to the ford, as you say the bit up on the left is just getting daft now, no body even attempts the bog anymore, its just an overgrown mess

think its just fields to the right of the wall so assume draining into that is the only option really, or put a shit load of rocks (or what ever they use) down over the top as well as clearing up as much bog as possible…

be good if that walkers that walk that way could join in too, I wonder if theres a way of contacting local ramblers see if theyd be interested in help also, as its a multi use track and the walkers have done the fair share of damage to it also on this one

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve put signs up on two of the popular gates on the Roaches Estate in a bid to get more than just MTBers volunteering. If you are going to come, email me so we know how many tools to bring.

Cheers

carlos
    Free Member

‘Bump’ for anyone that missed this the 1st time round and fancies something different on Saturday this weekend.

So far I think our group is 7 strong. Weather is looking favourable and hopefully Thurs and Fridays rain won’t turn it in to much of a swamp again.

http://peakdistrictmtb.org/event/dig-days-spring-2018-trail-maintenance-schedule/

Carlos

jekkyl

I can’t get out of work I’m afraid so can’t join you. I fully support any remedial work though. Which part is getting done? The moorland where there is loads of ‘paths’ and it’s generally a mess or the descent down to the river. The GPX I had sent me right through a broken down wall down a grassy bank to cross a little bridge but the path continues on down to the river? is that the ‘correct’ way..

carlos
    Free Member

Jekkyl – Email sent

carlos
    Free Member

Quick update on Saturdays dig day on the Roaches Estate.

Was a good turnout of 16 people, all like minded cyclists and the Roaches land manager/ranger. We worked on the top section of the path up past Castle Rocks. Between us all we repaired two cross drains, created two water bars and a new trench drain.

Even after lunch it was obvious that the work was already working as the trail had dried out a little in a short space of time and one repaired cross drain was constantly flowing. It’s very rewarding to see your efforts working in such a short space of time.

Next Roaches dig day is May 12th. I’m aiming to get up there again, would be good to see another big turnout.

Carlos

Pook

Great stuff Carlos. Thanks for getting involved!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Peak District MTB Dig day @ The Roaches 14th April’ is closed to new replies.