Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Peak District – Ashbourne, Trails?
  • cnud
    Free Member

I’m off to Callow Top Caravan site soon, so as it’s not really my thing the bike will be going. Is there any decent trails rideable from Ashbourne as I probably won’t be able to drive anywhere. Thanks

docrobster
    Free Member

grab a copy of this book
    But unfortunately the riding from callow top isn’t great.
    You’ll possibly need to ride a fair way up the tissington trail to find something interesting

cnud
    Free Member

Hmmm, as I feared. Was hoping for some more options, thanks for the book recommend though.

the-muffin-man

Aye – there aren’t many ‘gnarly’ trails in that area.

You can have some nice rides though – do the Tissington, High Peak and around Carsington res all in one for a nice long ride.

Or get an OS map and pick out the bridleways and connect a route together.

Sometimes its nice to just ride!

docrobster
    Free Member

If you haven’t been to callow top before its quite an eye opener- bank holiday weekend is it?
    Last time we were there there was a drugs raid on one of caravans on saturday night during the kids disco on the lawn- which incidentally you have to witness to see the DJ who appears to have been transported direct from 1974…. Class!
    Good to have a pub on site though 🙂

MoreCashThanDash

If you are new to the area the muffin mans suggestion is a great way to kill a day, see some scenery and get some miles in. If you are feeling fit, take the High Peak trail all the way down to the start at High Peak Junction, ride along the canal to Arkwrights Mill at Cromford for cherry and walnut scones – and then come back up…

cnud
    Free Member

I’m picturing Jimmy Saville as DJ now, thanks. OS map and a pocket full of change for scones sounds good.

iain1775
    Free Member

If its just miles on bridleways then look for a route Ashborne – Osmaston Park – Muggington – The Chevin and back (do Chevin north to south)
    I can do a memory map overlay for you if it’s any use

cnud
    Free Member

Iain1775 a MM overlay would be good start thanks, email in my profile.

jmason
    Free Member

If you want a nice family pootle, callow top has a gate that leads straight on to tissington. As others have said not too much gnarly stuff round there.

scotchegg
    Free Member

Go down the Tissington trail and follow the signs to Cromford. I used to blast round black rocks for some local trails. There is also Bradley woods just outside Ashbourne but these are poor.

I can recommend the Bowling Green pub for grub and the Oakover arms at mapleton for beer.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Personally I wouldn’t advise on using the tissington trail to get to black rocks as it must be a 50/60 mile round trip?
    Trails map.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Peak District – Ashbourne, Trails?’ is closed to new replies.