Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Peak District
  • Ro5ey
    Free Member

Hey

We never been to the Peaks before and have a couple of days there with the kids 11 and 9 at the end of the week. Staying just south after doing Alton Towers for a couple of days.

Any ideas what we should do or see, please ?

Weather is looking aright, so more outdoors rather than inside “attraction” please

Dove dale, Carsington Water, Hope Valley, Ladybower ??

Kids love a walk/scramble around the woods … my little lady’s eyes lit up more when I describe the Peaks as a little Lake District, than when I told her about Alton Towers.

I know we’ll only scratch the surface/hit the most tourist spots but looking at this little trip as a recce for maybe a longer stay in the future.

Ta

martinhutch

The Roaches is quite close to AT and good for scrambling around on boulders and stuff. A bit further on is Lud’s Church which is cool.

jeffl

Dovedale is a nice walk and paddle. Surprise view, curbar edge or stanage edge have lovely views and lots of rocks to climb around on. Oh also Padley Gorge nice and woody and rocky.

Finally Mam Tor is a good view. If you can’t be arsed to walk all the way up there’s a national trust carpark to the WSW of it. Castleton for a pub lunch afterwards.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Dovedale is nice – climb up Thorpe Cloud, walk up the valley with plenty of exploratory things to do off the side. Most of the big houses in the area do nature trails and treasure trails, Heights of Abraham at Matlock Bath is a good place to spend a couple of hours with kids (probably younger kids)…you can walk up and avoid the cable car charge, caverns and caves at Castleton as well as Mam Tor and Winnats Pass, Chatsworth has a petting zoo and lots to do on the grounds. A lot to do in and around the Peaks.

jekkyl

If you are staying near Alton Towers then for a short evening walk or for a half day excursion you’ve got Dimmingsdale country park right on your doorstep. It’s basically 2 fireroads running up either side of a lovely wooded valley, you can walk up one side, cross over and then walk back down the other. There is the river and pools in the middle for throwing sticks and stones in.

Peak District wise with Kids I probably suggest the caverns/caves. I know you said outside but you’re only inside the cave for an hour or so and they are very interesting.
    There are 3 caves at Castleton each with a seperate entrance and fee and there is also Poole’s cavern in Buxton, have a look online. Castleton is lovely for a visit anyway and you could combine a short walk to Mam Tor or Hollins cross with a cave visit and then dinner out at a pub. There’s also a castle ruin at Castleton if you are English heritage members or want to pay to go round. Going to Castleton will have you looking to the hills wishing you had a bike and several free hours.

Thorpe Cloud is an isolated limestone hill right next to the stepping stones at Dovedale, great short steep little scramble up one side and down the other. I took my 6yr old up it and she loved, rewarding views. Free parking if you are NT members.

Matlock Bath is good too, with the Cable Cars and the Gullivers kingdom funpark thing, it’s quite cheap to get in but a bit dated.

Gradbach woods where Lud’s church is also well cool, spooky atmospheric woods, with a massive great big boulder thing at the top of the climb for climbing about on, then along a flat path for another 5 minutes to Lud’s Church, well worth a visit. Bit of a trek from the carpark though and your kids might moan on the climb back out of the valley. If you need more specific directions to Lud’s Church drop me a PM. It’s free parking at Gradbach or you could park at the roaches and walk down.

riklegge

I reckon a walk around Burbage South boulders, up towards Carl Wark / Higgar Tor area could be nice with lots of rocks to mess about on.

If you are in the Castleton area its also worth a walk up Cavedale.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Thanks gents

Within half hour of posting I’ve probably got a week’s worth of ideas… 🙂

A quick google image search of the places mentioned above, has already got me planning an extra nights stay…. they look fantastic.

Guessing you are all local lads …. you lucky beggars

dashed
    Free Member

And when you’re there don’t call it “The Peaks”.

It’s The Peak. No s 😉

sobriety
    Free Member

And yet it comprises of two distinct areas Dark Peak and White Peak…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s a lovely part of the country, I’m lucky to have lived on its edges all my life. Just don’t feel I’ve explored it anywhere near as much as I should have done given its been on my doorstep all this time. I’ve explored the Lake District and Devon and Cornwall far more.

There are loads of nice country villages and pubs serving great grub too. And so many breweries if you like your beer.

tuboflard

Bike hire from Hassop Station and a ride along to Millers Dale is a great option for kids in tow as well. The first bit is just pleasant but after Headstone tunnel it’s wonderful scenery, though can get pretty busy.

ElShalimo

Chrome Hill is a great little “mountain” for the kids. It will be much quieter than Thorpe Could too.

bensongd
    Free Member

Matlock Bath, Black Rocks and Harborough Rocks. All close to each other.

Also Bakewell Pudding not Tart.

ifindoubtflatout
    Free Member

Lathkill Dale is worth a walk…. Plenty on mines and caves to keep the kids interested and a top notch cafe at one end and a great pub at the other end in Monyash. Win win.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Peak District’ is closed to new replies.