• This topic has 30 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by jamiea.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Peage Doofer for a campervan?
  • thegeneralist
    Free Member

Apologies for not just googling, but I’m in major pre holiday stress!
    Anyone bought an emovis ( or similar) tag for Frenchpeages?
    Does the vehicle need to be less than 2m high?

How does it know how much to charge?

VW T5 ( naturelement!)

Twodogs

I have one in a T5…not sure how it knows what to charge…it just does!

nbt

I got my peage tag from Mago mobilités

https://www.mango-mobilitesbyaprr.com/en

You will need a euro bank account for the direct debit – I use starlin bank which allows you to hold euro balances for no extra cost

you currently get 8 mnonths free, after that it’s a small charge for each month where the tag is active, plus a fee for each chargeblae stretch of autoroute

I’m not sure the costs differ by vehicle unless you’re towing / riding a motorbikes – the sanef site seems to suugest that anyway

https://www.sanef.com/en/my-journey/price-of-my-journey

oooh, bip&go suggest oitherwise
    https://www.bipandgo.com/en/aide/decouvrir-le-telepeage/quels-vehicules/

VanHalen

i use one – vauxhall vivaro LWB. really good.

some tollgates are limited height/size but some are bigger. seems to vary. you can go through any gate but the dedicated tag ones means you can slow down less.

ads678

You do get charged more if you’re in a proper van, probably over 2m. I used to always get charged the big van price at a particular toll near Perpignan, even though I was a car with roof box. All other were fine though.

Now mine is on a Merc Viano and I still get charged the normal car price. My BIL borrowed mine once for his proper van and got charge the van price. I think the scanners at the tolls just know if you’re over a certain height and apply the correct tarrif.

igm

Answers here, but the UK arm of Sanef is based in Harrogate and they have a phone number (also on this website) if that helps.

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/faq/

misteralz
    Free Member

I’ve got a Mango one, but it’s purely for cars. I know that once your account is set up you can swap plates, but unsure about swapping classes. The tolls ARE different between cars and campers as well – we had to pay the small camper rate for our T4 before we had the Peage bipper.

Tracey

We have an Emovis one, it gets swapped between the camper at 2.92m, the Tourneo Custom and the Tourneo Connect. I think the height charges are below 2m and 2m to 3m and then above 3m. It costs more for over 2m. The scanners pick up the height

Quite alot of answers here https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/

Had it for quite some time purchased when the Tunnel had a deal with them

littlerob

I think it senses the height, so you don’t need to worry except that you can’t use all lanes. I put one on a T2. With the (empty) roof-rack on the cab we’re just over 2m so I took it off. This meant that we could go through the fast-lanes.

Talking to Emovis (or someone I forget who) I think we should have been OK with an empty rack. However, it *might* incorrectly identify as class-2. In this case they suggested contesting the bill, as the monthly statements show which class you have been charged at.

I couldn’t get anyone to answer the question about how much more class-2 was but finally found a French peage cost-checking site (that I can’t now find) that suggested class 2 is 50% more.

ocrider

What Tracey said. Below 2m you’re class 1, below 3m, class 2 and pretty much the reason why we got an L2 Trafic.
    Lyon-Montpellier costs 28€, whereas if I was driving a class 2 vehicle it’d be 44€.

@littlerob
    you can calculate your toll prices here https://www.vinci-autoroutes.com/fr/mon-trajet/

hot_fiat

It measures the height of the vehicle at the front axle, just like the DART crossing. T5/6 sometimes allegedly get picked up as a truck, but it’s never happend to me. Proper camper or something like a ducato with a steep front will get chaged at the higher rate. Emovis are in Harrogate & a good bunch to deal with.

mercuryrev

We use Bip&Go as it covers more than just France, has an English section on their website and after 3 years they have been superb.

You do pay a subscription for having a tag but only in the months you use the tag.

Not sure if you can use them if you have a UK account (we live in France), I tried checking but the website kept logging me in to my account.

As for being charged the wrong amount, with Bip&Go you can check charges using the website or their app and then challenge any mischarges.

littlerob

@ocrider that’s the one.

@thegeneralist
    the down-side of a doofer is that you see in one place the actual cost of the peage. The alps and back is something like £150 (to say nothing of the fuel prices 😉

phil5556

I tried a while ago to get one but my bank accounts didn’t allow the direct debit.

I keep meaning to look in to it again, although it’s not too much of a hardship to stop and have your passenger hang out the window or even slide across from the driver seat of a van – bit more of a hassle in a car.

nbt

I tried a while ago to get one but my bank accounts didn’t allow the direct debit.

As above, I use starling bank for euro direct debits. Was really easy to set up the account, I only use it for trips.

You can use one of the UK providers who will DD from a UK bank account, but you get hit with their currency fees as you pay in GBP

i_like_food

I had an emovis one and a T5, absolutely brilliant. The only thing to add is that it seemed to struggle to register on the first trip down to the alps and didn’t always work. Cue some angry beeps from people stuck behind as I had to reverse… Worked fine on my return trip and on every other trip thereafter. Not really much I can suggest other than if that does happen you can know I share your pain.

littlerob

If anyone is thinking of signing up to Emovis PM me because we can both get 5 Euros off 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

Meanwhile most of us aren’t bothered about taking a few seconds to swipe a credit card, even when we live here.

hooli

How bad are the queues on a typical mid day weekday in August to make this worthwhile? I’m thinking of a last minute trip to meet up with some mates in southern France and wondering if its worth getting one for just this trip.

ElShalimo

The tags do seem to be expensive if all they do is get you through the toll gate faster. Or have I misunderstood this?

We usually go on holiday in September so the queues are never that bad.

Edukator
    Free Member

If the queues are bad enough to cause a back up on the autoroute the whole autoroute stops and starts so it doesn’t matter if you have a badge because you’ll still be stuck in a queue until the last few metres before the booths. For most Brits the time spent faffing buying a badge is more time than the half a dozen swipes they’ll make in the year.

littlerob

The time savings are not that great (and somewhat pointless in a T2 😉 but it does mean that you don’t have to open the window in bad weather, or wake the passenger if the booth is on the “wrong” side. TBF, when we started contactless payment wasn’t a thing.

I find it slightly annoying that it actually costs slightly more than paying at the time (because there is a monthly fee) but we’ve had ours about 7 years and I wouldn’t go back.

jamiea
    Free Member

After speaking with a mate on Sunday’s club run, and him regaling me with tales of 1 hour queues at the pay booths, I was looking into getting one for our trip this coming Friday. I had a webchat with Emovis yesterday morning and they are currently out stock of tags.

igm

Big benefits of the tag for me are:

I tend to drive and my wife tends to sleep – so I don’t have to wake her at the toll booth.

I don’t have to line the car up close to the kerb on the left when I’m sat in the right (easy in reverse not so much going forward and they are aggressive kerbs).

No dropped credit cards or cash.

About 15 minutes on the Calais – Les Gets run.

The 15 minutes is the least of those.

misteralz
    Free Member

That’s the big benefit for me as well – despite living here all my cars are RHD, so I’m reliant on my passenger to do the whole peage thing. And she has massive anxiety about it – even close to the kerbs it’s still a case of unclipping her seatbelt and stretching for a ticket or swiping her card. And if she dropped either? It’s never happened, but that doesn’t stop the anxiety. This way she can just sleep, I can sit at 150ish, we don’t need to stress about getting the ‘right’ lane, especially if you’ve got 100m on the other side of the toll gate to get to the offramp at the other other side, and if that costs me 1,70€ per calendar month that I’m in France? That’s an utter bargain as far as I’m concerned.

ads678

Yep when your on the wrong side of the car the toll tags are fantastic.

They definitely save time as well when there are queues. Loads of grumpy tight wads queuing at the credit cards booths and I just sail on by through the 30kph lanes!!

All for the princely sum of a few euros a year. I mean its holiday money. No one looks at the cost until you get home…..

TheDTs
    Free Member

To counter what Edukator said, I have found quite large time saving is to be had with a tag. Keep to the right hand side, go through with the trucks. Depends on how busy the roads are, filters through quickly on the sides where the TAG lanes are.

spooky_b329

I had a webchat with Emovis yesterday morning and they are currently out stock of tags

That’s weird seeing as they sent me an email yesterday giving me a pre-emptive nudge that the battery may have gone in mine and offering a replacement!

The only thing to add is that it seemed to struggle to register on the first trip down to the alps and didn’t always work. Cue some angry beeps from people stuck behind as I had to reverse

You can go through a normal lane if you want to check the tag is working, I can’t remember if it picks it up or if you need to take it off the windscreen mount and wave it at the card terminal.

It was a while ago when I got mine but apparently it is/was cheaper to get the tag for the Mont Blanc tunnel as the service charges are much less than Emovis.

ocrider

To counter what Edukator said, I have found quite large time saving is to be had with a tag

Same here. I spend too much time on autoroutes so I’m more than happy to coast through at 30 for a small extra cost than sit in a queue to tap or swipe a card.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Piss. Tried to order one yesterday but emoyer blocked Web traffic to the payment page.
    Today, as the man says above, they’ve run out.

jamiea
    Free Member

That’s weird seeing as they sent me an email yesterday giving me a pre-emptive nudge that the battery may have gone in mine and offering a replacement!

I assume that’s just an automated email and not linked to the stock control system.

Today, as the man says above, they’ve run out.

Bugger ☹️

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.