Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Peacocks and weasels
  • manton69

On today’s ride on the South Downs I counted hundreds of Peacok butterflies and a weasel trying to outstare me in the middle of the track. Any surprise wildlife spots on your rides in this balmy weather?

Bregante

On Wednesday night we were coming down the bottom section of San Marino off Rivington Pike when a young deer came out of the trees to our left and jumped probably 15 feet straight across our path.

cyclistm
    Free Member

I’ve noticed a couple of weasels on the South Downs lately. Normally pinning baby bunnies, vicious little animals.

Also lots of fairly large birds of prey, I think buzzards, they seem to be increasing in numbers.

CountZero

I’ve noticed a couple of weasels on the South Downs lately. Normally pinning baby bunnies, vicious little animals.

Also lots of fairly large birds of prey, I think buzzards, they seem to be increasing in numbers.
    Well, something has to keep the rabbit numbers down, not enough of them throw themselves in front of cars, and there aren’t enough larger predators to do the job, although wolverine would be a useful addition to the English countryside.
    The large raptors are almost certainly common buzzards, which are, indeed, common these days. Seen regularly over the centre of Chippenham, I’ve seen them circling over Bath.
    Unlikely to be kites, I don’t think their range has extended as far south yet, and they’re still not common here in North Wilts, it’s taking time for them to spread across from Berkshire/Oxfordshire, and from Wales.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lots more weasels out and about round here this year. Much more noticeable numbers. (No wicked ones seen around the village yet, however)

Peacocks? Don’t make me angry! There’s a couple of them in the village and I want to shoot them. Noisy ********* ********g ********S!

scaredypants

A herd of about 20 deer crossed a small country road in front of me last week

They’re very unimpressed by slow moving bicycles this year – not jumpy at all. At this rate, I reckon by next year they’ll nave a taste for human flesh

Many, many dead badgers on or by the roads just now; it’s clearly “suicide” season

matt10214
    Free Member

Plenty of butterflies, a hare and a nuthatch last week.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Lots of Buzzards here in Surrey now, especially near the Hogs Back. Just the right air currents for their gliding
    Ravens are starting to make a comeback too!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Peacocks and weasels’ is closed to new replies.