Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • PDS knowledge needed – a day in Morgins/Champery from Morzine?
  • 2tyred

Got a free day this weekend en route elsewhere for a day’s solo riding based Morzine-ish. Will have my XC bike, not about to hire a big bike or anything. Usually have my XC bike there anyway.

Keen on a day over at Champery/Morgins/Les Crosets as I’ve never spent much time there. Is it a reasonable plan to leave the van at Avoriaz, take the Mossettes over and ride that side as far down as Morgins then back via Champoussin, Champery and Les Crosets to the Swiss Mossettes back over to Avoriaz? Don’t mind a bit of pedalling, but is that a mental plan and I’d be better driving on to Morgins and taking it from there? Not keen on miles and miles of fire road.

Originally thought the col de Cou would be ideal but I gather that’s interdit these days.

Cheers!

Stoner
    Free Member

Very doable. nice Day out. Couple of friends here did it the other day. Getting over to morgins does inevitably involve a lot of track given the distance. There’s a good single-track descent (i.e not a full on DH track) along the stream valley down from the road between champoussin and Les crosets that takes you to champery. Take the big cable car back up to les crosets.

Return via Swiss mossettes from Les crosets and the Lac vert into lindarets and back up lindarets lift to avoriaz.

nickjb
    Free Member

I’d leave the van in linderettes. Take the lift to avoriaz then ride down to the mossettes. From the top of mossettes there is a lovely, not too tech, xc ride to morgins. A lap or two of the morgins lift. Then the ppds route towards champery. You can do a few runs on some of the lifts on the way. Lovely scenery. Then at the end of the day you just need to make sure you catch the mossettes swiss before it shuts and it’s downhill all the way back to the van.

nigew
    Free Member

I’ll be in Morzine at the end of the month and was considering a trip to Morgins, on a Downhill bike, instead of Champery black for a change, how much of a push up is it to Champoussin?

2tyred

Excellent, thanks both – exactly what I needed to know!

ayjaydoubleyou

then back via Champoussin, Champery and Les Crosets to the Swiss Mossettes back over to Avoriaz?

There’s a good single-track descent (i.e not a full on DH track) along the stream valley down from the road between champoussin and Les crosets that takes you to champery.

Can anyone describe this in a bit more detail?
    Didnt make it to Morgins this year (scared of lift closing thunderstorms) but hated the road / bus back to chatel last year. Is this better?

nickjb
    Free Member

I’ll be in Morzine at the end of the month and was considering a trip to Morgins, on a Downhill bike, instead of Champery black for a change, how much of a push up is it to Champoussin?

I wouldn’t go via Champoussin. There is a trail that way but it is a quite a bit out the way and has some climbing. From Morzine either go via Avoriaz and up Mossettes. From there it is downhill all the way to Morgins. Or go via the Chatel bike park but that is more of an XC route (from Plaine Dranse) with some climbing. To get back you can do a short road climb up and and over the pass to chatel village then get the bus (with bike rack) to the bike park and over into Linderettes or back via the PPDS route to Mossettes Swiss. This has a bit of climbing but not much. There is a short road section up and a little uphill track that looks a lot worse than it is. The peak looks miles away then you get part way up and the track veers off to the side rather than all the way to the top. There’s probably another bit I’ve forgotten, too 🙂 Its worth it for the epic views, though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘PDS knowledge needed – a day in Morgins/Champery from Morzine?’ is closed to new replies.