Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • PC woes: security as well as audio
  • cinnamon_girl

Can anyone help please? With my Dell desktop is a pair of Creative speakers plus sub, for some reason they’ve stopped working. Creative replaced a pair of Dell’s own speakers but in “Devices” setting they’ve never shown as Creative, just Dell.

Have tried to uninstall, it says it has but actually hasn’t. They’re simply not being recognised.

Rather concerning though is that “Devices” is telling me I can connect to my neighbour’s Fire TV stick. Does this mean that neighbour needs to check her device’s security settings?

Any help would be much appreciated. 🙂

P-Jay
    Free Member

Rather concerning though is that “Devices” is telling me I can connect to my neighbour’s Fire TV stick. Does this mean that neighbour needs to check her device’s security settings?

Usually when you connect it’ll give you a pin to input into the device so you can’t ‘hack’ their telly and start streaming the hardcore in the middle of dinner, sadly. Bloody killjoys.

Cougar

What sort of connector does it use?

What subsection in Device Manager?

DezB
    Free Member

They’re simply not being recognised

So, no sounds?

cinnamon_girl

Thanks folks.

Cougar – I’ve noticed that whenever “Dell Assist” wants to do something a minor irritant follows. All wires and connections with the sub have been double-checked. The only sound is coming from the monitor, very tinny. Bluetooth and other devices then subsection for Audio showing monitor and speakers.

sobriety
    Free Member

1. go to Control panel
    2. open Sound
    3. Check that the default is the speakers you want and not the monitor speakers

retro83
    Free Member

Plug it in, go into the sound control panel and choose the right playback device, and select Set Default

edit: damn sobriety beat me to it!

DezB
    Free Member

Ah, bluetooth on Windows… I’ll leave this to Cougar then 😉 Had a nightmare getting my headphones to work on a laptop. Downloaded some bluetooth update or other to get them to work. Very messy.

cinnamon_girl

There is power on the volume control pod, the light is on. It doesn’t make any difference whether I switch bluetooth on or off. It had been working fine but now it isn’t grrrrrrrrrr.

sobriety
    Free Member

Are the speakers connected to the PC by wires, or are they bluetooth speakers?

What I suspect has happened is that dell in their wisdom, have switched the monitor to the default speakers in an update, I have this kind of fun and games from time to time with my work laptop and dock.

Still, if the speakers are bluetooth they should appear in the ‘sound’ section of the control panel, unless the PC has totally lost it’s link to them, at which point it becomes a bit more challenging.

hols2
    Free Member

Right click on the speaker icon in the taskbar. Select “Playback Devices.” Select the device you want to use. Click “Set Default.”

cinnamon_girl

sobriety – speakers connected by wires to the sub. Dell updates are certainly frequent and do annoy me cos they changes things!

Can’t remove speakers, I click uninstall but they still remain presumably cos they’re not recognised due to having the wrong name. I can’t work out how to change the name which is frustrating.

sobriety
    Free Member

but how are the speakers/sub connected to the PC itself?

fossy

Are the speakers in the audio socket on the back of the pc.

If so and they are plugged into the green output socket then you’ve got an issue with the driver. Check the speakers work on another device, e.g. your phones 3.5mm audio socket.

cinnamon_girl

Speaks and sub are not connected to PC, it’s done by bluetooth presumably as I’ve just been checking all the wires and nothing goes into the PC.

retro83
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Speaks and sub are not connected to PC, it’s done by bluetooth presumably as I’ve just been checking all the wires and nothing goes into the PC.

What model of speaker? Is there a model number on the bottom or anything?

cinnamon_girl

In Settings there is a number besides Audio but it’s not the name of the speaker. Speakers/sub are called Gigaworks T3 which I should have altered when I changed from the rubbish Dell speakers.

I’m just going to try something else, may take a while. Thanks for all the help so far. 8)

sobriety
    Free Member

have you tried running back through the procedure you went throough when you first got the system to link them to the PC?

It sounds as if the blue tooth link has gotten broken some how.

Cougar

Delete them from device manager. Unpair them. Reboot. Re-pair them.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Presumably the wire hasn’t pulled out by accident?

retro83
    Free Member

Gigaworks T3

Are you sure they’re bluetooth, can’t find any mention on the spec…?

sobriety
    Free Member

If it’s this sub/speaker set up

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81KA4Wy3GvS.pdf

Then it looks as if it needs to be plugged into the PC, as retro83 suggested.

cinnamon_girl

Oh my goodness, what a palava with moving a large desk and squeezing into a small space full of jumbled up and twisted wires.

Yes, you’re correct that it isn’t bluetooth ( :oops:) and found some wires that went into the back of the PC. Moving the desk I think had not helped and possibly dislodged some. Wires now tidier although not tidy but wondering whether those cable tidy gizmos would help?

One thing’s for sure and that’s this PC seems overly complicated compared to my previous Dell desktop.

Many thanks everyone for assisting. 8)

tthew

Ah, a PICNIC error. 😀

(I’ll let someone else explain that).

cinnamon_girl

How long do I have to wait though tthew??? 😀

Cougar

Problem In Chair, Not In Computer.

metalheart
    Free Member

Nothing useful to add except that I preferred:
    The problem lies between the keyboard and the screen 😀

(No offence intended CG)

Cougar

I actually typed PEBKAC and then deleted it. There’s a host of others too, in the networking world it’s a Layer 8 issue.

Not forgetting the User Friendly classic:

http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=19990211

cinnamon_girl

Oh I thought it meant a sandwich short of a … picnic. 😆

Love the cartoons and love being able to laugh at this sort of thing, it’s happening more frequently though so should I be worried? 😳

Cougar

Hard to believe that UF strip is 18 years old. I remember it coming out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘PC woes: security as well as audio’ is closed to new replies.