Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • PC stupid basic question..
  • derekrides
    Free Member

Please explain as you would a child.

I need to log a Windoze latest version home edition onto a work server, htf?

I’m not even going to ask about setting up a VPN from home onto my work network, something a child could do on a Mac without blinking…

Cougar

Sorry, I only know about Windows.

molgrips
    Free Member

You need to do what now? Can you maybe explain that a bit better? 🙂

simon_g

Do you mean to join it to the domain? So you type in your “work” username and password to log in, then can connect to whatever you like without being asked for them?

Ever since XP, the “home” versions don’t do that. Need Professional, Enterprise or Ultimate versions for that.

derekrides
    Free Member

OK let me explain it as i would to a child..

In MacWorld we have things called file servers, they hold lots of er files, that us mac folk like to access with our macs.

Now because part of my work environment has been sold to satan and the corporate world I have had to engage with the dark side and buy a frikken PC laptop.

I just want to connect it to my work fileserver which is also a Mac, but back in the days before Windoze one could simply map a network drive via dos. I can’t even seem to get a C prompt it’s so bloated with chavware.. so the retarded can engage..

I just thought maybe somebody here might know a work around, so i don’t have to keep emailing or USB sticking files to myself…

anjs
    Free Member

right click on my computer -> map network drive

stumpy01

I can’t even seem to get a C prompt it’s so bloated with chavware.. so the retarded can engage..

Not sure I can help you with any of that, apart from the above.

Go to programs>accessories>command Prompt.

Well, that’s how it is on most Windows operating systems – I haven’t really used Windows 7 though, if that’s what you’ve got.

derekrides
    Free Member

Thank you, please don’t think I think any the less of you for having been mislead down the PC route all of your lives, I understand fully…

I am very grateful.

No really.

Er thanks..

No that still didn’t come out right did it?

I think it was really coowool Bill Gates went into that school the other day to ask how to give away some of that money y’all gave him.

Er I took my surgical gloves off the other day to shut it down..

Some of my friends use PC’s.

No they’re really good friends..

No, not that thick either.

Doh **** it, i still feel dirty having to ask..

stilltortoise
    Free Member

You are drunk and I claim my £5

derekrides
    Free Member

Actually..

still tortoise you are clearly a clairvoyant…

TheBrick
    Free Member

In general I don’t think this is true but having read your posts on this thread derkrides, you seem to fit the bill.

derekrides
    Free Member

Noooooooooooo. No no no no no.

that is so true nowadays, that main difference thing…

I can’t argue.

But.

It didn’t used to be that way.

Time was just us creative types used them.

It doesn’t however address the fact this win doze 7 is equally for coffee shop rettards..

aracer
    Free Member

Has anybody established yet what this Windoze thing he keeps talking about is?

dobo
    Free Member

the only mac worth having is annie mac, ok maybe just to listen too..

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

You should phone your work IT department and ask them to sort this for you. Talk to them exactly the way you have here.
    They’ll find it hilarious.

leffeboy

You forgot to say Micro$oft but I’m still likin ur thread anywayz

derekrides
    Free Member

Hey hey hey..

I’m a windoze user now.

Least I’d like to be.

If i could do a itzy bitty lil think like connect it to a **** network.. Not much to ask.

But hey with the information gleaned here I shall try and find a mouse to connect to it so I can do ‘right clicking’ htf does one do that on a track pad thing that doesn’t track the way it should. (They don’t recognise finger movements or any regular stuff track pads should do) We do control or apple click which I guess does the same stuff you right clicky nerds do.

Anyway, it’s fine, we’re fine, us PC users, just some of us don’t quite get it, like why would you if you didn’t absolutely have to cos satan from hell forced you to…

gingerss
    Free Member

Windoze! That’s a blast from the past, not heard that for a while. I think having to use ones middle finger to click a mouse button might be the root of the issue here. A bit too complicated for a Mac user ;).

cranberry
    Free Member

If finding a command prompt and mapping a drive is too much for you, maybe you would be better off with one of these:

richmars

I like the sound of this ‘windoze’ thing. Where can I get some?

dobo
    Free Member

lol hopefully somebody will be along soon to give you a comprehensive flame! but i doubt satan would force you to use windows or a mac, most likely they would force you to use linux. so basically at this point you need to windows the **** up!

johnners
    Free Member

I can’t even seem to get a C prompt it’s so bloated with chavware.. so the retarded can engage..

It would seem there’s not enough “chavware” for you.

gingerss
    Free Member

I like the sound of this ‘windoze’ thing. Where can I get some?

Try here http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Windows_Me

derekrides
    Free Member

C’mon, this is home edition ‘doze7, it’s not that intuitive for stuff like that.

Think I’ve got it now, but seriously it’s not easy..

Then there’s the screen thing, how the hell do you set it up so you scroll/drag stuff between the screen of the laptop and the external monitor, I like to have the web browser on the laptop screen and my spreadsheet on the monitor, so how does that happen?

aracer
    Free Member

User error

johnners
    Free Member

how the hell do you set it up so you scroll/drag stuff between the screen of the laptop and the external monitor,

It’s very straightforward, but I can’t be arsed to help anyone who can’t even spell “Windows”.

D0NK

Oh teh…
    If start/programs/accessories is a bit long winded hit winkeysorry command type cmd, you may want to right click and select run as admin if you want do anything funky (win don’t do sudo)

Got a few mac fetishists at work, they setup all sorts of hardware, time machines, even the odd server. Then 12months down the line when the only clued up fanboi has left and no-one knows WTF to do they come running to IT support.

wont even start on the ones buying macs then come in on day 1 asking us to put windows on it 🙂

D0NK

aracer – Member

User errorpebcak/picnic

john_drummer
    Free Member

You should phone your work IT department and ask them to sort this for you. Talk to them exactly the way you have here.
    They’ll find it hilarious.

+1

if you’re lucky, someone will do it for you so quickly that you didn’t see what they did. If you’re unlucky, they’ll tell you you’re not allowed to connect from outside the firewall

IT department member since 1988

jon1973
    Free Member

Please explain as you would a child.

Ask nicely and there are plenty of people willing to offer you help.

scaredypants

Obvious troll is incompetent 😉

derekrides
    Free Member

PIBFAK more like, we don’t have ‘IT’ departments, didn’t need them until now, we are all mac, entire company runs on them. Our FD said the same, ‘at my last job i just asked the long haired spotty ones’ they fixed it for me then ride home on their single speed bikes.

I agree it was wrong to sell Macs outside of the cognoscenti, I blame the iPod then the iPhone and now look at them, they make more money than anyone else, total sell outs.

Anyway, a bit of fun, I do kind of know my way round, but did find it tricky setting this thing up to share files.

richmars

Two monitors?? What sort of trickery is that? Begone from our monochrome wilderness. Who needs two monitors, do you have two eyes?

derekrides
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member
    Obvious troll is pissed

FTFY

richmars

Right click on the desktop sets mine up.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Its all about Linux

jon1973
    Free Member

TheBrick
    Free Member

PC!=windows

D0NK

Its all about Linux

hmm

gingerss
    Free Member

Linux is everywhere! If it’s not on your phone it’s in your TV, DVD player, PVR or media streamer. Who knows it may even be in your washing machine.

I bet Linux deployments now outweigh Windows deployments by a long way. Easier to use too!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘PC stupid basic question..’ is closed to new replies.