Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • PC just went pop, help please
  • Bimbler
    Free Member

My brothers PC has died, apparently he was working away and it just died. I thought it was obviously a case of the power supply dieing so he bought one and put it in but still no joy. What else could have caused a PC to just die? (fuse in plug checked btw)

chrisdw
    Free Member

Short of the PSU. Motherboard I guess.

zilog6128

If the processor gets too hot it will just turn off like that, so check all the fans are working. Although in that scenario the computer will normally turn on if only for a few seconds before it overheats and cuts out.

samuri
    Free Member

Has he tried it with just the motherboard power in? Disconnect power from all drives and cards.

Cougar

All good advice.

With the new PSU, it’s worth checking that he’s connected all the ancillary cables; modern boards often have secondary power connections for the CPU, graphics cards etc.

Look at the motherboard closely. Can you see signs of capacitor plague (google it)?

Does it power up at all? Lights coming on, fans spinning, sort of thing, or is it dead dead?

Drac

Fuse on the power lead.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Thanks all – described as dead dead no lights, nothing – I’ll get him to check for Capacitor Plague (new one on me, thanks)

Bimbler
    Free Member

Just got off the phone with him, no sign of capacitor plague but the new power supply he bought had a 20 pin motherboard power socket, while the motherboard only seems to have 16 😯

plyphon
    Free Member

sometimes they use am 16+4 pin, so you can separate off the 4 pins you arent using.

this is if you buy a reputable brand, and not a cheap £8 jobby,of course.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

If the motherboard and PSU cable are weldeded together – this is a bad sign.

Bimbler
    Free Member

He took it to a PC fixer chappy and it’s the motherboard apparently. Thanks for help.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘PC just went pop, help please’ is closed to new replies.