Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • PC gone mad klaxon! Golden syrup logo content
  • Poopscoop

As you were, the perils of skim reading.

Yep, it can be an issue. A few days ago I posted a PSA to say we were about to be nuked from orbit by the Russians.

I probably should have read the article better.

Still, a trifling mistake really. 😁

blokeuptheroad

Ha! That does make me feel a bit better!

Poopscoop

^^ Yeah, just as well I don’t work for NATO, the UN… or basically have any responsibility in the world other than tying my own shoe laces!

slowoldman

Ah, but if your cooking with it, then it’s pain to ‘squeeze’ out a table spoon of the stuff 🤔😉 either way I can’t win as I only have enough shelf space for one or the other….

Dip the spoon in, scrape off what looks like approx a tablespoon into the cooking, lick finger and spoon clean.

dyna-ti

I like the treacle they do as well. Though apart from eating it by the spoonful, I cant think of anything other than one other use – treacle tart.

I tried to make some treacle tablet once, but I couldn’t get it to set. Gave up on that.

prettygreenparrot

it’s just sugar syrup right

well it is inverted sugar syrup. Produced by adding acid and invertase and heating. This turns the sucrose into glucose and fructose. Makes a sweeter product than just regular sucrose or sugar syrup from dissolving sucrose dissolved in water.

https://cookingisscienceandart.weebly.com/blog/what-is-sugar

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverted_sugar_syrup

it’s OK in cooking but is otherwise disgusting whether from tin or squeezy bottle.

Edukator
    Free Member

That must be why the Coca Cola company puts it in most of their drinks. As do most soda manufacturers because people get hooked on the stuff.

desperatebicycle

When I was young a peanut butter and syrup sandwich was a staple of our weekends.
    2 slices white bread, buttered (thickly)
    Spread syrup on one slice. Spread peanut butter on the other (Both a skill with that butter sliding around underneath).
    Slap the 2 together, cut in half widthways (optional). Scoff.
    It’s more just an ingredient for flapjacks these days.

CountZero

“ Well I am over 50 years old and I admit I have never noticed there is a dead lion, that looks like it’s covered in blue-bottles, on the Tate & Lyle tins!”

I’m over 60yo, and I’m pretty sure I knew what the logo was about around 50 years ago, but I used to read everything – pretty sure I mostly learned to read by the time I was four or five. Bugger-all use for maths, though; I can count up to ten if I take my socks off…
    Saw an article about this the other day, and I must say I do like the new logo – there’s a touch of a stylised Green Man about it, which makes me happy.

reeksy

I think Lyles is actually partially inverted.
    Similar sugars are in a surprising amount of very nice beers as well.

I’ve always loved the stuff.
    When i was a kid and my dad worked for Philip Morris (boo!) we discovered it was in cigarettes as well. Watered down and sprayed as a fine mist … can’t remember if it was for taste or something else. But Dad brought home some massive containers, and they lasted so long that the syrup would turn back to wet sugar. It made up for the fact his previous job had been for Trebor.

molgrips
    Free Member

The company definitely benefited from the economic legacy of the sugar plantations though.

That’s putting it mildly. The entire sugar industry was a major driver for slavery.  We became hooked on it, demand soared in Europe and we kidnapped millions into slavery just to fund this luxurious and completely unnecessary habit. It wouldn’t have been possible to make sugar so cheap and ubiquitous (or even at all) if it weren’t for African forced labour.

w00dster

Tate and Lyle appear to have been continuing with the slave labour and forced sale of land up until 2013.

https://www.business-humanrights.org/en/latest-news/tate-lyle-reneges-on-promise-to-pay-compensation-for-land-taken-from-cambodian-farmers-by-sugar-supplier/

nickc

That must be why the Coca Cola company puts it in most of their drinks.

Weeelll, in some of their drinks, most of the US market is stil HFCS if I remember correctly and some countries it uses cane sugar, which some claim makes it taste different, there’s a massive market in the US for imported Mexican made Coca-Cola( insert your own drug related joke here)

ampthill

“ PC gone mad klaxon! Golden syrup logo content”

Having read PC as personal computer I was sure this was some kind of extreme virus that ended up with you stuck staring at picture of a hidden syrup tin. Possibly with an associated loud noise

molgrips
    Free Member

some claim makes it taste different

It tastes very different.  US Coke is immediately identifiable.  You can get a ‘traditional style’ Pepsi with sugar in it rather than HFCS which tastes like UK Pepsi, and Mexican Coke tastes just like UK Coke.

maccruiskeen

there’s a massive market in the US for imported Mexican made Coca-Cola  (insert your own drug related joke here)

brownperson
    Free Member

I love the new one too. That’s been really nicely done! And if it winds the gammons up, even better 😃

I hadn’t considered this. But yes!

That’s putting it mildly. The entire sugar industry was a major driver for slavery.  We became hooked on it, demand soared in Europe and we kidnapped millions into slavery just to fund this luxurious and completely unnecessary habit. It wouldn’t have been possible to make sugar so cheap and ubiquitous (or even at all) if it weren’t for African forced labour.

Oh of course. I wasn’t for a second trying to diminish the evils that benefited such companies. But T+L were formed after slavery was officially abolished in the UK, so common claims they made their fortune ‘from slavery’ need to be challenged and the correct context applied. As a company, they will be forever tainted though, as are so many, and as are institutions such as the British Royal Family, the Bank of England, etc.

convert

On the back of looking at this thread (has to be that, or creepy coincidence) I have now had something pop up in my social media about making your own golden syrup. Didn’t realised you could- well, not quite right- I’d never given it a moments thought. Turns out Americans into quaint British baking often make their own as it’s hard to get hold of over there. I feel the need to experiment.

But do I use a sharpy to graffiti a rotting Lion or some chipper very much alive upstart on the side of the jam jar?

And if buying….tins for the win! Is there a man cave in Britain without an old T&L golden syrup tin full of random screws and bolts? Those squeezy bottles are the work of the devil, especially if you are tight and want to get every last bit out. You can lick the tin out but licking the squeezy bottle comes with a high risk factor.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.