Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • PC gone mad klaxon! Golden syrup logo content
  • blokeuptheroad

They’ve got rid of the rotting lion carcase and swarm of bees from the tins. An obscure biblical reference apparently. The link is to an Independent article, but I apologise – there’s a link on it to a Gbeebies video. I’d imagine that there’s some weapons grade ranting on there, I can’t bring myself to look.

If the new one keeps the general aesthetic of the old, fair enough. I do like golden syrup tins – I can’t bring myself to chuck them away so they get used for pens and nails and stuff in the garage. Tins, mind – I don’t use the thin, runny stuff in the squeezey bottle. I’m not a total deviant.

slowoldman

The existing logo is remaining on the tins.

Pyro

I thought they were leaving the tins as-is and only changing the squeezy bottle,?

In fact, it says as much in the article you’ve linked: “The rebrand will take place across the full product range, excluding the classic tin, which will retain the original illustration.”

gobuchul
    Free Member

Well I am over 50 years old and I admit I have never noticed there is a dead lion, that looks like it’s covered in blue-bottles, on the Tate & Lyle tins!

Tate & Lyle do have a bit of a tricky history mind.

nickc

It is about time it got binned though. I mean “The rotting carcass of a lion” isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when inventing your brand logo, especially for a sugar syrup… and Victorians were were provably weird anyway, we should aim for less Victorian and more Georgian, they may have all had pox, but at least they knew how to have a good time.

martinhutch

I’m too busy either needing or getting my massive sugar rush to notice anything about the tin.

blokeuptheroad

The existing logo is remaining on the tins.

As you were, the perils of skim reading. Maybe I won’t write to my MP just yet. He’s a blue blood Tory so he’s probably tied up in a gimp suit smothered in the stuff.

tonyd

I’d never noticed the dead lion and swarm of bees! Thought this was funny:

James Whiteley, brand director for Lyle’s Golden Syrup, said: “We’re excited to unveil a fresh redesign for the Lyle’s Golden Syrup brand.

“While we’ll continue to honour our original branding with the heritage tin, consumers need to see brands moving with the times and meeting their current needs.

I not sure I have particular needs from any brand, it’s generally the product, service, etc that interests me more.

brownperson
    Free Member

Tate & Lyle do have a bit of a tricky history mind.

For sure, although people would do well to read up on the actual history. The company definitely benefited from the economic legacy of the sugar plantations though. For me, the Tate Gallery is dong a great job of showcasing the art of all sorts of people from myriad backgrounds; for example the recent ‘World in Common’ exhibition at the Tate Modern featured work by African artists, so this is in some sense a form of ‘reparation’, as it places such artists to the fore, where in the past they have been often marginalised and overlooked.

As for the new logo; I much prefer it. Like many, I never understood nor even looked closely at the old one anyway.

johnx2
    Free Member

I remember the bible story from when I was a kid. It’s the kind of macabre thing kids like, that at some point Sampson killed a lion and then later I think found bees had made a nest/hive whatever in its chest.

And then later again used this as a riddle at his wedding “out of the strong came something sweet”, which no one could solve (why would they? It’s not exactly obvious?) But then they threatened the new wife and got the answer, so he lost the riddle bet and had to get  all 30 of the guests a new suit each, which he did by going off and killing 30 guys. Philistines.

I think it’s nice to be reminded of these charming biblical tales from time to time, as a motif for how we all should live. I need to get more smiting into my life. (Or indeed get a life.)

Drac

They’ve got rid of the rotting lion carcase and swarm of bees from the tins.

No they haven’t.

maccruiskeen

I’m still furious that apple didn’t stick with their original logo

gobuchul
    Free Member

Bloody hell! Twice in 1 day!

I never knew the “Apple” was Issac Newton’s apple!

maccruiskeen

Drac’s iPad

Steve Jobs got the idea when he fell out of an apple tree and landed on his head

swdan
    Free Member

It’s Apple gone mad I tell you

thols2

I was expecting something like the Aunt Jemima thing. A rotting carcass of a lion just doesn’t seem like a cause that’s going to generate much outrage.

Kramer
    Free Member

The power of branding is that Tate and Lyle’s golden syrup is twice the price of the identical own brand product.

A friends wife once castigated him for getting “the wrong golden syrup” in the supermarket.

He’s recently told me that he’s getting divorced.

blokeuptheroad

No they haven’t.

I know, that’s already been pointed out a few times and my mistake acknowledged 🙂

Drac

Drac’s iPad

Forum still works.

I know, that’s already been pointed out a few times and my mistake acknowledged

Sorry! I opened the thread then popped out. 😀

sockpuppet

Also, consider that fact that the Bible story is about bees making honey inside that carcass.

Bees. Honey. A naturally occurring product.

Golden syrup is made from sugar – think how T&L made their sugar.

And reflect on their corporate whitewashing of issues using a bible story!

johnx2
    Free Member

corporate whitewashing of issues using a bible story!

…how white is it given the full story involves the killing of 30 innocent philistines (part of Palestine)?

dirkpitt74

I never took it to be a dead lion.

Always thought it was a lion sleeping after downing a tin of golden syrup…….

devash
    Free Member

I remember an R.E. teacher at school telling us the story of the dead lion on the tin.

scotroutes

I thought the BBC article on this said that the lion was the world’s oldest trademark. I was always told that was the Bass (beer) red triangle.

Edukator
    Free Member

It ain’t Christian story though is it. Samson/book of judges is in the Hebrew texts, it’s a Jewish story.

Haven’t eaten any since I left the family home.

It’s a big con anyhow, honey is made by bees and golden syrup isn’t.

johnx2
    Free Member

Samson/book of judges is in the Hebrew texts, it’s a Jewish story

Judges is a book of the old testament of the christian bible (which frequently comes up in cryptic crossword clues). It contains all the samson story related above.

And blimey it’s racy stuff – all ‘giving’ the new wife to multiple wedding guest, prostitutes and ripping lions apart with bare hands, riddles and killings… https://www.bibleref.com/Judges/14/Judges-14-20.html

I mean the entire OT is Jewish stories, not just this, but it’s still v much the christian bible even if the behaviour is not what one would associate with the stereotypical CoE vicar.

Edukator
    Free Member

Nearly but not quite, not all the Hebrews were Jews and one heathen king wrote a bit of the OT

blokeuptheroad

A friends wife once castigated him for getting “the wrong golden syrup” in the supermarket.

I’m with her. The own brands don’t taste the same. I’m a big fan of Aldi knock off brands generally for generic products but there are a small number of brands where the knock offs just don’t taste the same. Golden syrup is one of them imo. I know that shouldn’t be the case, it’s just sugar syrup right, but it is!

See also HP sauce, Marmite and a few more.

johnx2
    Free Member

I’ll let this bloke…

It ain’t Christian story though is it. Samson/book of judges is in the Hebrew texts, it’s a Jewish story.

argue with this bloke…

Nearly but not quite, not all the Hebrews were Jews and one heathen king wrote a bit of the OT

🙂

franksinatra

I’ve said it on other threads but I now benchmark against Daily Mail. The more their readers hate a thing, the better it is for everyone else.

So I pinched my nose and checked the comments section on their article about this. Sure enough, they are furious! “Another product to add to the boycott list” etc.

I like it when Daily Mail people get furious.

maccruiskeen

I thought the BBC article on this said that the lion was the world’s oldest trademark. I was always told that was the Bass (beer) red triangle.

Bass has had the first trademark – ie its ‘Trademark No1’ but there logo is older than trademark legislation and also over that time they’ve used that image in lots of different ways – hasn’t always been red instance – but its been applied to all shapes and styles of packaging over that time – there hasn’t been one design of bottle and label- but I think the claim is the stinky lion cadaver is featured on longest continuous packaging design. If Lyle have been selling that packaging for 150 years the Trademark act is only a trifling 149 years old.

desperatebicycle

Another one who never knew (or cared) that it was a dead lion.

We’re excited to unveil a fresh redesign for the Lyle’s Golden Syrup brand…

Good job someone is.

dudeofdoom

TBH  every days a school day, never realised it was a dead lion and bees, let alone some biblical stuff.

I suppose that’s the trouble with having people desperate for a PC ‘gorn’ mad to vent over, they don’t actually read the articles and I wonder just how much of it they actually buy.

binners

I absolutely love the original design. It’s a genuine classic, but much as I love the typography and the metallic ink printing, can’t say I’ve ever noticed the lion was an ex-lion

I love the new one too. That’s been really nicely done! And if it winds the gammons up, even better 😃

jamiemcf

Dunno the new one looks a bit team GB.

I never noticed the lion. I’m sure I remember being told the story then forgetting.
    We have no golden syrup in the house.

dyna-ti

but I now benchmark against Daily Mail.

scotroutes

I wonder if anyone on this thread hasn’t clocked the Toblerone bear either…

Tobelrone_bearLogo-267x300

monkeyboyjc

Personally I couldn’t really care if T&L change their logo, probably due an update after all that time….

The tinned version cirtainly under sells the squeeze bottle in my shop, although I do have customers that will only buy the tin and vice versa and will complain If I don’t have the correct one in stock. I generally only ever stock which ever gives a higher margin when it’s time for a restock.

slowoldman

I do have customers that will only buy the tin and vice versa and will complain If I don’t have the correct one in stock.

I can sympathise with them. With the squeezy one you just deposit the golden nectar on your porridge but spooning it from a tin gives you an excuse to overload the spoon and have to lick it clean.

monkeyboyjc

Ah, but if your cooking with it, then it’s pain to ‘squeeze’ out a table spoon of the stuff 🤔😉 either way I can’t win as I only have enough shelf space for one or the other….

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.