Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)
  • PC Geeks required – Need to copy apps from old to new laptop
  • charlielightamatch
    Free Member

Recently my laptop died. I knew the HDD was ok so I took it out and plugged it into an old desktop I had around. After rebooting it a couple of times after it threw a wobbly it then proceeded to work exactly like the laptop did. I’m really don’t know much about PC’s but it seemed to work fine!

It didn’t fit the old HDD mounting points so I just Velcro’d it to the chassis. 😂

Matt24k
    Free Member

I`m calling bullshit!

You have 18 years of research in an office 2010 DB? So where did the first 10 years worth come from?

Charming! Ever heard of field notes or earlier versions of Office? This research started in 2002 and went from 35mm slides and paper notes to computers during that time so please forgive me if I am a little unclear on the origins and elements of various software.

Also remember this is not my laptop or research and Mrs 24k might have a Phd. but she is less computer savvy than me and I am not exactly Bill Gates. She could tell you all about the reproductive cycle of marine mega fauna but struggles with the concept that the Google browser and search engine are 2 different things.

trailwagger
    Free Member

So its just office based then? Why does that need a special licence and why does it cost £1300? If you have already converted from earlier office versions to 2010 why not do the same now?

Nothing you have said so far adds up, it just sounds like your are asking for advice about the best way to pirate copy software to another laptop.

Cougar

Also a bit of searching has pointed me in the direction of plenty of sellers of an Office 2010 key for less than a tenner if I do have to do a clean install.

Google “magic jelly bean.” It’ll extract the CD key from the registry for you. You don’t need to buy a hooky licence.

Christ, if it comes to that I probably have a retail copy I can stick in the post. I don’t have a need for eight year old software.

it just sounds like your are asking for advice about the best way to pirate copy software to another laptop.

Really? I’m not seeing any moral issues in moving software you’ve already bought onto a new PC before binning the old one.

molgrips
    Free Member

You don’t ‘buy’ software, you license it, as I’m sure you are aware, and that license can have terms.

It might be that the ‘purchase’ of the software is in fact the seat cost to the organisation who has themselves licensed the software, and the OP’s partner might be breaking those terms as it is.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Having spent the afternoon checking my moral compass I tied Mrs 24k to a chair and shined a bright light into her eyes. I then poured petrol all over her and asked if she really needed any of the programs other than Office 2010 whilst I menacingly played with a lighter.

Through hers sobs I have ascertained that she does not need Minitab and the database runs on Office 2010. The database did not work properly on later versions of Office and she is not sure why. At this point I dropped the lighter as my thumb was getting sore……

Luckily it went out before it hit the petrol so we took Cougars advice and ran Magic Jelly Bean. I now have all the licence keys we need so thanks for the assistance.

Can anyone help with advice on removing petrol stains from laminate flooring?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really? I’m not seeing any moral issues in moving software you’ve already bought onto a new PC before binning the old one.

I can sell you a cheaper version that is locked to a single PC if you want, fairly common for those that ask for a bigger discount 😉 I can then at my discretion authorise a move to a 2nd PC within the same organisation. Fully flexible licenses cost more.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Really? I’m not seeing any moral issues in moving software you’ve already bought onto a new PC before binning the old one

But that’s where it gets a bit hazy. First the OP says the University installed the software. Then he says he bought it. Then it’s office.

I know you are ok for now but to future proof this (you will run into the problem of not being able to run 2010 at some point) you should get a newer office version and convert the DB to a later format. If you leave it too long then at some point office won’t be able to upgrade the DB over that many versions. Trust me I have been caught by this myself.

scotroutes

For one program a single use licence for an individual is around £1300

Yeah – confuses me too.

nicko74

Having spent the afternoon checking my moral compass I tied Mrs 24k to a chair and shined a bright light into her eyes. I then poured petrol all over her and asked if she really needed any of the programs other than Office 2010 whilst I menacingly played with a lighter.

Through hers sobs I have ascertained that she does not need Minitab and the database runs on Office 2010. The database did not work properly on later versions of Office and she is not sure why. At this point I dropped the lighter as my thumb was getting sore……

Luckily it went out before it hit the petrol so we took Cougars advice and ran Magic Jelly Bean. I now have all the licence keys we need so thanks for the assistance.

Can anyone help with advice on removing petrol stains from laminate flooring?

😀
    But, did we ascertain whether the petrol was paid for with taxpayers’ money? Did you in fact have a licence to transfer the petrol from its cannister to Mrs24k and then the floor?!

leffeboy

Nicely done. If it really is just an access 2010 database and you can’t get office2010 reinstalled then just Google access 2010 runtime. That’s all you should really need.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

For one program a single use licence for an individual is around £1300

Yeah – confuses me too.

In which case stay clear of some of the badly written EULA’s out there!! It just about makes sense as One Seat, for one Person as opposed to one seat floating.

Matt24k
    Free Member

Well that’s 3 days of my life that I will never get back!
    Finally got everything up and running on the new laptop but it was a mission. Plugging in the SSD from the old machine was a non starter. HP Sure Start stops you from starting up without the paired hard drive so a fresh install was the only way to go.
    HP Sure Start also stops you booting from USB so that is something that I will be disabling.
    I was amazed at how many updated drivers and Win 10 updates that I needed. They took ages to install, one Win 10 update had to be left running all night.
    Office 2010 installed as a 30 day trial but transferring the User Profile was not exactly simple and once I got that sorted it took 8 hours to download 10,279 emails dating back to 2017. We did not want those old mails. I can only presume that they were still on the server even though they had been deleted from the old laptop. I then had to spend £7 on a one time use Office 2010 key which I am sure will get me berated by some who have contributed to this thread but I am comfortable with it.
    Minitab is not getting installed as we can’t justify the cost for the amount of use it will get.
    Thanks for all the assistance and most of the comments.

Cougar

So, basically you ignored every piece of advice you were given? (-:

Matt24k
    Free Member

Just the bits I didn’t like 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 41 through 55 (of 55 total)

The topic ‘PC Geeks required – Need to copy apps from old to new laptop’ is closed to new replies.