• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PC Gamers: What game controller for a PC?
  • GrahamS

I bought a swanky new laptop for Christmas (HP OMEN, 17″ IPS 144Hx screen, RTX 2070, 16GB RAM, 500GB SDD, 1TB HD) y’know for the kids’ homework and stuff…

Turns out it is quite capable of playing games.. which is handy…

I’ve been “testing” it with Steep (snowboarding,skiing,etc game) but feel my “testing” would be more complete with a controller as it is quite a console-y game.

So what’s a good controller to use?

Modern incarnation of an Xbox One controller seems like the obvious choice – but wireless seems pointless given I am sat at the laptop and don’t want to have to charge batteries – yet wired will be annoying if I later buy a console (which is quite possible).

Is there one that does both? i.e. can be played on wire without batteries or wireless with batteries?

junglistjut
    Free Member

XBox, PS4 and Nintendo Switch controllers all have profiles on Steam and work automatically. My father uses a PS4 one with the charging cable plugged into the PC. I use the Nintendo one over Bluetooth. Both work great.

raybanwomble
    Free Member

Switch controller is a major pain in the arse on PC – and you have to enter a certain mode on steam for it to work. The trigger don’t give you as much control either, for example in racing games.

Definitely an Xbox controller.

Pretty sure the wireless ones can be optionally wired in.

pigyn
    Free Member

I use an Xbox 360 controller, bought it years ago so it’s wired. They might still be available and cheap if you can find one. The single best gaming thing I have picked up is a VR headset. Been gaming since the 90s and it has been a revelation. Check out the trailers for boneworks and medal of honour. Well worth £400!

tetrode
    Free Member

I’d definitely go with an Xbox one controller. You can either use the charging cable to keep it wired or connect it via bluetooth (as long as it isn’t an early xbox one controller, the newer ones have bluetooth).

johnw1984
    Free Member

Wired xbox one controller is the best. I’ve tried a PS3, PS4 and 360. The 360 was great, but eventually died after years of service, so I thought I’d give a 3rd party Xbox One controller a try (around £25 from Amazon).

There were mixed reviews, but It’s been really good for me so far a few months in. I don’t use it a lot, so it’ll probably last me years.

simon_g

They do a wired Xbox One controller still. £21 on amazon atm.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Any XBox controller can work with the charging lead plugged in, just like a wired controller.
    I tried a friends on my PC and it worked perfectly with no setup required really. Need to buy one soon for myself!

GrahamS

Xbox one controller. You can either use the charging cable to keep it wired or connect it via bluetooth

Ooh can you? That sounds ideal. I had looked at this one on Amazon..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Official-Xbox-Black-Controller/dp/B01L7PQBL8/

..but the description said it came with AA batteries and no mention of a charging cable??

Is there a different version with rechargables and charging cable or do you need to add a third-party thing for that?

tetrode
    Free Member

Hmm I got mine aaages ago and might have picked up a battery and charging kit alongside it, I can’t remember now! But as others have said, you can get wired ones anyway and it’s totally fine if you want to use it with an xbox, just depends how far away the sofa will be.

devash
    Free Member

From personal experience the Xbox ones integrate better with most games under Windows (probably a Microsoft thing) but I’ve always favoured the Playstation Dual Shock design so I use a wired PS3 controller.

GrahamS

Does that work outside Steam though Drac? I’m also on Epic and Uplay.

LittleNose
    Free Member

I just use an old Xbox360 wireless… works a treat, and to me sits in my hand nicer than the XB-one type.

mattyfez

Is there a different version with rechargables and charging cable or do you need to add a third-party thing for that?

There’s the normal version and a ‘for windows’ version, IIRC the latter deffinatly comes with a USB cable.

The cable is just a standard micro USB cable though.

Drac

Does that work outside Steam though Drac? I’m also on Epic and Uplay.

Not sure TBH but possibly as they’re allowing them to be used more and more, even works with my iPad. 😉

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘PC Gamers: What game controller for a PC?’ is closed to new replies.