Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • PC Choice Help Please
  • woody2000

I’ve been tasked with getting my MIL a new PC. She’ll be surfing mainly, odd email but no gaming or video editing etc. I’m going to buy a tower with no OS and install Windows 7 on it.

Narrowed it down to these 2 I think, swaying toward the Acer as it just looks a bit nicer and quad core vs dual core must be a bonus, right?

http://www.ebuyer.com/613262-acer-aspire-xc-603-desktop-pc-dt-sulek-004
    http://www.ebuyer.com/614238-zoostorm-desktop-pc-7873-1220

Budget is as little as possible, but must be new so we get a warranty. Any other suggestions?

FuzzyWuzzy

Wouldn’t a tablet be better?

jekkyl

If it’s just for surfing and email, why not a tablet? they are generally more user friendly for older folk and of course they’re portable so can surf in the living room, in bed etc. Ipad/nexus etc ?

woody2000

Nope. I’ll have to “support” this PC, so I want it to be as close to what they have now as possible so I don’t have to answer a load of questions. They are both in their 60’s with bad eyes and arthritic hands so a small device probably not a good idea anyway.

clubber
    Free Member

Chromebook? – cheap and simple. My inlaws like mine and are getting one as soon as the existing XP one gets too slow.

HP Chromebook 14 £250

woody2000

Chromebook looks nice, but it’s going to have to be Windows 7 I’m afraid. I’d install XP if it wasn’t off support!

Something reasonably nippy with a big enough HD so they can store their photos. I think they’d struggle with the “cloud” concept in the Chromebook, and given that their broadband is pretty slow it might not work too well for them anyway.

I should stress that whilst they are not complete Luddites, they’re not far off 🙂

Cougar

WTF is “Zoostorm”? If you’re going to be lumbered with support I’d stick with the Acer. In two years time when your outlaws ring with it needing a rebuild cos they’ve knackered it, you really don’t want to be stuck with it raining giraffes.

woody2000

Ha 🙂

Homepage

They’re ok TBH, I’ve bought a couple for work when we’ve had a requirement for a cheap and cheerful PC. Build quality is a bit “flimsy” but the guts are half decent.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘PC Choice Help Please’ is closed to new replies.