Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • paypal seller protection?
  • Earl
    Free Member

I’m selling something on gumtree. Buyer wants pay by paypal and to send the item.

Is there any way the buyer can do a charge back?

ulysse
    Free Member

Cash on collection or look elsewhere is my standard response

tomhoward

paypal seller protection?

😆

Use PayPal gift?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is there any way the buyer can do a charge back?

I’m pretty sure they can. My son buys and sells a lot of limited edition clothes through facebook and various other apps. Buyers always pay through PayPal, and not ‘friends & family’, I keep warning him but he doesn’t listen.

We’re talking sales of £100’s of £ each here, not a few quid for a tshirt.

Still he hasn’t been stung by a buyer yet.

Earl
    Free Member

Oh is it that simple?

I googled paypal gift and I couldn’t get a recent and straight answer.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t really know if it’s that simple but there’s no proof of a transaction taking place if you buying something off someone through facebook.

As far as I know with PayPal Gift/Friends & Family the buyer can’t do a charge back, but that leaves the buyer with no protection.

It’s a risky strategy and not one I’d be comfortable doing on a regular basis.

Earl
    Free Member

I hate being paranoid about this stuff.

Buying/selling here is not to bad – as its kinda self policing in a way.

plyphon
    Free Member

For high ticket items, I film myself packing the box. Not a fly on the wall thing – just my phone hanging camera-end off the desk whilst I pack and seal the box beneath.

I learnt this from a company who sell high-value computer components and often had disputes when people didn’t fancy paying.

I then take a photo of the box on a set of scales to record the weight. And then take a photo of any receipt from the shipping company – a lot of them will also post up the recorded weight when it gets to their depot also.

That’s about as much as you can cover yourself. Email it to yourself on GMail and then you don’t have to worry about keeping a backup or local copy, or stick it on a dropbox if you have one spare.

Only takes a few minutes, and is worth it if its any amount of cash you’d miss. It’s up to you how much cash that threshold sits at, mind.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘paypal seller protection?’ is closed to new replies.