Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Paypal scam, but how…
  • verses

I’ve just received the following email…

1) I’ve never heard of Thomas the Caterer, but Googling suggests it’s a real business
    2) Someone occasionally uses my email address by mistake (think they must have a similar name), so it could be intended for them…
    3) The links all appear to be genuine PayPal links (hovering over, not clicking).
    4) If someone sends you money via PayPal, surely you don’t have to manually accept it, it should just appear in your account? Yes?
    5) If I log into my account (not via the link in the email!!!) there’s no mention of this transaction waiting.
    6) Gmail hasn’t identified it as a scam/spam

Any thoughts…

Yak

Never seen a ‘claim your money’ button before.

Dodge as a dodgy thing from dodgeville

sandwicheater

It’s to distract you. Their bumming your dog as we type.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Gary_M
    Free Member

Send the email to PayPal or phone them, they’re very easy to deal with.

verses

sandwicheater – Member

It’s to distract you. Their bumming your dog as we type. Swines… They’re always one step ahead!

DrP

Send me the £265.
    I’ll check if it’s all legit or not and let you know.

Email in profile…

DrP

4130s0ul
    Free Member

send it to Spoof@paypal.co.uk to investigate, it’s a scam

I had the same thing last week.

phead
    Free Member

>3) The links all appear

Well if they said scam.com it might be a little obvious! They will be well dodgy.

acidtest
    Free Member

If you’ve already clicked on the link and logged in then I suggest you login to paypal via a different browser if possible and change your password ASAP.

Cougar

I’ll bet you £265.00 that that [Claim your money] button doesn’t go to the real PP site even if all the other links do.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I’m not entirely sure about the [Claim] button.try sending me a small sum and i’ll see if it appears on my account

verses

Hmm, looks like it might have been genuine as I’ve just had a follow-up email…

Thomas the Caterer cancelled this PayPal payment:

Amount: 265.00 GBP

It’s easy to make sure this doesn’t happen again.

If you’re already a PayPal member, log in to your account to either add or confirm this email address. That way, you’ll be able to receive payments sent to this email address.

Yak

Another button to push on that one too?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Ummmmmm…!

>suspect dodgy paypal email
    >log in to your account

#nope

FuzzyWuzzy

It’s just credentials phishing, the Claim button will go to a dodgy site where they’ll record the log in details you enter and then use them later themselves in PayPal. The £265 is just to give you an incentive to click

imnotverygood

Rule #1 of the internet. If someone sends you something that is even only slightly perplexing…. It’s a scam.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Eeer, that’s not the Rule 1 I know.

Maybe try Rule 33*?

*That’s 33 not 34.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It’s just credentials phishing, the Claim button will go to a dodgy site where they’ll record the log in details you enter and then use them later themselves in PayPal. The £265 is just to give you an incentive to click

What’s that prase I’m searching for, ah that’s it ‘no shit sherlock’ 🙂

plyphon
    Free Member

Hmm, looks like it might have been genuine as I’ve just had a follow-up email…

And that’s how they get you. With the slightest benefit of the doubt.

Stevet1
    Free Member

I would be wary of this but googling suggests it might be a real ‘thing’ – see here
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/pay/claimpayment.html

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

why not just go direct to your paypal site and see if you need to claim the money

verses

As said in the original post…

– I didn’t follow the links in the email
    – I did access my PayPal account (directly in another browser) and there’s no mention of the payment there
    – Looking at the source of the email shows that the URLs go to an actual PayPal address

Here’s the full reply (the URLs aren’t masking anything they link correctly as shown), I’ve scribbled out my email address, but it’s to @googlemail.com rather than @gmail.com, I suspect it’s my namesake using the wrong email address again.

Stevet1
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I’ll bet you £265.00 that that [Claim your money] button doesn’t go to the real PP site even if all the other links do.

Can I get some of that action?

verses

Here’s the URL that the “Claim” link goes to (there’s some potentially distinctive credentials in it so I’ve deleted random chars from it, I’ve also stuck a space in it to stop it being a clickable link);

https: //www.paypal.com/myaccount/claim-money?em=scribbled_out@googlemail.com&txn_id=0SF3654U764520S&unilat_id=3F01313D071953S&create_type=0&ppid=PPC00041_0&ppid=PPC00041&cnac=GB&rsta=en_GB(en_GB)&cust=&unptid=5d1a260-488-116-bb99-44ea142520&t=&cal=97e61af7e02&calc=97681a76e02&calf=97e681f7602&unp_tpcid=email-standard-transaction-unilateral&g=null&unilat=null&trid=null&errc=null&emsub=Thomas%20the%20Caterer%20just%20paid%20you%20%C2%A3265.00%20GBP&encrem=null&tems=2016-07-12%2005:01:27.944&page=main:consumer:email:unilateral:open:::&pgrp=main:consumer:email:unilateral&e=op&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys

I await my £265 from Cougar 😉

mrjmt
    Free Member

Thought paypal greeted you with your name, not email address?

verses

Bit slow off the mark, but it’s just dawned on me that I use a different email address for PayPal, so it would never have shown in my account anyway… </McFly>

zilog6128

not saying it isn’t a scam, but maybe the “claim your money” button appears when someone tries to send money to an email address not registered with PayPal? So you first have to follow that link & create an account.

sadexpunk

hmmm….. i think it may be genuine. i had something like it a while ago and it was indeed something to do with different email addresses. cant remember exactly what happened but i added a new address to my paypal, someone made a payment to it and i think i had to hit a ‘claim’ button like that to faff around and get the new address to accept it or something.

if it wasnt for the fact i knew the payment was coming id have been suspicious too, but it was all above board and the payment went through.

bigyinn
    Free Member

So someone sends money to an e-mail that isn’t registered with Paypal (or the intended recipient), thats why it says claim your money, as it was actually genuine.
    Mein gott!!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Paypal scam, but how…’ is closed to new replies.