Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Paypal chargeback scam
  • RustyNissanPrairie

Sold stuff on Ebay for years – recently sold a large radial arm saw listed as collection only. Buyer paid with paypal as he was doing a collection tour to replace equipment lost in a burglary.

Plenty of emails regarding collection etc, met the guy, seemed decent, loaded saw and away he went.

Fast forward 2 months and hit with a chargeback for the saw amount. Contacted buyer who seemed surprised and stated was happy with the saw. Following email was stated he had fraud Paypal useage that his bank had detected and had issued chargebacks.

The chargeback is now complete with the funds returned to his account and me out of pocket. Ive contacted him via ebay to ask for payment which is either going to go two ways.

1. I pursue the guy through the small claims court/ bombers/wee in his shoes/nitromors a cock on his car

2. he pays.

Anyways – the lesson is don’t accept Paypal if having items collected. In fact **** paypal and ebay.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Surely if someone is collecting, it’s a friends and family payment as goods can be inspected and collected.

Pretty shit though. Goes to show PayPal really doesn’t help the seller.

globalti
    Free Member

Only use Ebay to sell for amounts you can afford to lose. For bigger amounts, sell privately and accept only cash.

Dickyboy

Collection = cash at all times, I’ve had to refund PayPal payments in the past before allowing people to collect stuff as eBay make it quite difficult to do anything other than pay with PayPal.

RustyNissanPrairie

the amount is £175 – i can write it off but shit like this really gets my goat up and happily spend far more than the amount to pursue it.

The guy might reply yet and paypal me the amount?……………….

Onzadog
    Free Member

Let us know if he does. It’s not my money or my saw but things like this piss me off as well.

zilog6128

Anyways – the lesson is don’t accept Paypal if having items collected.

To be fair this is in their terms & conditions, under Seller Protection. How can you/they prove it’s been delivered otherwise?

RustyNissanPrairie

<div class=”bbcode-quote”>

Anyways – the lesson is don’t accept Paypal if having items collected.

</div>

To be fair this is in their terms & conditions, under Seller Protection. How can you/they prove it’s been delivered otherwise?

The guy who rang from Paypal said as much but also said it was a single small paragraph in 50 pages of conditions.

It was a Elu/Dewalt radial arm saw, the guys a furniture maker who reckoned on being burgled – my saw was the last item to be collected. I didnt expect any issues from the sale – he seemed genuine enough and im still giving him the benefit of the doubt.

CraigW
    Free Member

Even if you posted it to them, they could have still done a chargeback.

zilog6128

The guy who rang from Paypal said as much but also said it was a single small paragraph in 50 pages of conditions.

Don’t want to start an argument but that’s a massive exaggeration, it’s literally the first point listed under “requirements”, and then mentioned several other times (also the fact that collection in person is excluded is specifically mentioned under “what isn’t covered”). https://www.paypal.com/bb/webapps/mpp/security/seller-protection.

Even if you posted it to them, they could have still done a chargeback.

Yes but PP will cover the cost of the chargeback if you have ticked all the boxes.

RustyNissanPrairie

Either way the guy has potentially acquired the item through deception/fraud.

This transaction occured in June – who would have kept postage details that long in the off chance of a chargeback?

chestrockwell

In fact **** paypal and ebay.

Very much this.

Oh, and also don’t believe the people you speak to at Paypal either. Having rung them specifically to sort out how I needed to repay my negative balance after being scammed and charge back taking my money I was informed I had around 90 days and it would not affect my credit rating. This being the case I decided to off load some parts I didn’t need to cover some of the loss. Fast forward to the other day, 10 days after the charge back, and I get a sniffy call from Paypal collections threatening debt recovery etc if I didn’t settle ASAP. When I mentioned the initial advise I was given she simply told me it was wrong.

RustyNissanPrairie

Quick update, sent PayPal a screen dump and copy of each email between me and the buyer. Chased Paypal numerous times but never got anywhere.

The 75day time limit expired and Paypal refunded me the £175 the next morning.

REMEMBER – Don’t accept Paypal for a collection.

squirrelking
    Free Member

That’s a fairly standard bit of advice anyway what with buyers who drive off with the item then claim it never arrived or was broken.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Paypal chargeback scam’ is closed to new replies.