Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • paypal address scammer on ebay?
  • Premier Icon alric
    Free Member

Selling something fairly expensive on ebay, buyer says he already paid paypal with an e-cheque by mistake, but wants to cancel it and pay me by regular paypal, so wants my paypal address. I dont see any harm in that, but I dont know, is it safe?
    I already had someone want to buy it, made an offer of the selling price, messaged me t o sell it off ebay, wanted it sent with a £200 steam card. dunno if it was a hacked account, but I guess he got scared off when I asked too many questions
    Also another sale, buyer said he paid by american express, but no signs of any payment my end

Premier Icon zilog6128

He’s made up some BS and is trying to get you to do the transaction outside of eBay by the sound of it? Dodgy AF. Probably the same guy each time 😂

Premier Icon jonnyboi

Any messing about with payment is 100% a scam. Avoid and block is my advice.

A genuine bidder will pay in the normal way via PayPal and the transaction will be conducted through eBay. Absolutely no reason for you to be giving your details out, PayPal or otherwise

Premier Icon tthew

Tell him only if PayPal gift/friends and family. See if he’s still willing.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

Yep, he has to go through eBay, not just PayPal, to get your full protection.

Just say no.

Premier Icon alric
    Free Member

It didnt click that he wants to buy it off ebay. He has a lot of good feedback.
    I offered to cancel the order, then he c. an buy again.
    Saves me getting into trouble
    with ebay for a start
    If its always this much trouble selling I’ll have to find a better way
    thanx for your help!

Premier Icon tthew

Is his

lots of good feedback

For items related to what you are selling? Might not even be his account. Sounds like you’ve made a sound decision anyway.

Premier Icon jonnyboi

Yep, sounds very much like a hacked account

Premier Icon alric
    Free Member

SNAFU now its turned into a headbanger
    The guy canceled the e-cheque thing, I readvertised it, he bought it with paypal.
    But no sign of the money in my paypal.
    His bank statement shows the money in an account with a name like mine.
    Ebay wont let me cancel the order/s yet

I think the guy is for real now.
    I found a page deep in the heart of ebay, states, the money is on hold until 17 november, OR UNTIL THE ITEM IS DELIVERED.
    But no message on my summary or anywhere told me that
    Also found another page on ebay, says “with a new account ebay may hold payment until….
    a new account is calssed as under 25 feedback or £xxx of previous business
    well something like that anyway

And of course this is my new ebay business account.
    maybe thats the problem

Premier Icon zilog6128

“like yours”? or actually the same as yours?
    surely PayPal shows “funds pending” or something when this is the case?
    Sure it’s not the same guy just trying to scam you for the FOURTH time?! 😂

Premier Icon riklegge

I have had this from the other side; I paid for an item via paypal, received the item but then the seller contacted me to say the money had not appeared in their paypal account yet.

After some investigation we found the page you refer to, it seems paypal / ebay had held on to the money as the seller was new.

There was an implication that if you could show the item had been received, that the money would be released sooner. However in practice, even after I had left positive feedback and emailed ebay to say the item had been received, it still took until the end of the “quarantine” period until the seller received money.

It’s annoying from the sellers POV, but from my experience at least, I don’t think its dodgy.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain

If ebay *and* PayPal aren’t telling you you’re paid, you’re not, simple as, buyer can say what he up is down that doesn’t make it true.

It may show funds pending or held or similar but it absolutely should show the funds. Do nothing until BOTH eBay and PayPal say you’ve been paid and its time to send the item.

The eCheque thing is rubbish, you get a notification to say you’ve been paid by eCheque but do nothing until funds clear, you didn’t get it they didn’t pay. They can’t easily cancel that either and nor can you, least ways, not until it clears. If they had paid by eCheque it “just” takes 7 days to transfer funds anyhow so they could simply have told you and have waited.

Premier Icon alric
    Free Member

zilog,
    I did finally see where it says funs pending, you have been paid,or suchlike on my ebay sellers page
    but thats the only indication there is from ebay.
    No mention of this bullshi before. I really had to look it up
    If it werent for the buyers very good feedback and communication I’d have left it
    though ebay wouldnt let me cancel the transaction(it says wait a few minutes)

I was using the No Final Value Fee offer,to save 10%,but now I have to convince ebay that the first buyer doesnt count, to get that offer
    So now I have to buy/sell lots of little things to get the threshold where they dont do this to me again. again

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

If you are ever unsure of what is going on just phone Paypal, they are helpful.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.