Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PAYG SIM for Europe?
  • ratherbeintobago

Going to Spain twice this year for various reasons, once in Apr and once in Aug.

Don’t really want to get hammered with roaming charges, and phone can do dual (e)SIMs. Is there any point in sticking a PAYG SIM in and if so is there a Spanish one that would last 6 months?

bubs

I think Giffgaff maybe worth a look?

jon1973
    Free Member

What network are you on at home? Not all of them are charging extra for roaming in the EU

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Poopscoop

Yep, giffgaff has no charges. I think. They are owned by O2 which hasn’t implemented charges yet. I’m on giffgaff, great company imo.👍

That said, the roaming charges on other networks isn’t excessive from what I’ve read if you are not “over there” for months at a time anyway?

ratherbeintobago

O2 but coming up to contract renewal; if they’ve not got roaming charges maybe I need to sit tight?

Poopscoop

Definitely. Check they can’t introduce it mid contract or anything though.

ross980
    Free Member

02 aren’t introducing EU roaming charges from what I’ve read. I’ll be ditching EE when my contract is up for that exact reason.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Me & Mrs Efg are both on Plusnet (who use EE) & are currently on Tenerife.
    No charges, both SIM only contracts, both paying £8 a month for 12gb.
    Yeah, I know you can probably get 75gb for less.

hot_fiat

Superdrug Mobile sim: it claims it’s a “contract”, it’s nothing of the sort – just an unlimted PAYG sim that you pay £20 per month for via a cpa so you can cancel at any time. Totally unlimited european and I think possibly worldwide roaming included. We’ve one in a dongle in the van as a mobile hotspot after our kids lunched through 60gb of data on last summer’s european trip. When we went to spain in september with the motorbikes I just tarted it out to my mates and we all used that. Its 3 at the back end, but without thier fair usage restricitons (12gb?).

You might have to mangle to APN slightly to use it abroad. Superdrug have good instructions online that I was able to follow while queuing for french customs.

Caher

Virgin’s not charging. Keep your number.

freeagent
    Free Member

Tesco Mobile (basically O2 with a different name) aren’t going to introduce roaming charges in the near future.

oldtennisshoes

I looked into this a couple of months ago, and I found that Vodafone has one of the largest fair use data policies whilst roaming in the EU at 20gb per month.
    I’ve got a VOXI contract sim which I use in a mifi router.

shinton
    Free Member

Just a reminder that if you want to use your phone for satnav and not incur data charges you can download google maps to your phone before you travel and use them offline. Very useful for outside EU.

With that and wifi phone calls/messages you shouldn’t generally have to worry about roaming charges.

mattyfez

These seem quite popular:

https://www.lobster.es/

You simply pay upfront, every 28 days, for one of our great plans. You’re free to stop and start again any time you like. No lock-ins, no termination fees. We want you to stay because you’re happy with our great service, not because we tie you in.

mrmo
    Free Member

For completeness, o2 have introduced a cap, so whilst they haven’t introduced roaming charges, you only get some data before they start charging. Though the cap is quite high.

dudeofdoom

I tend to use lobster as a real sim and have an e-sim for my UK tel no.

It works well and if your Spanish isn’t up-to conversational Sim Shopping level 🙂

phil5556

@hot_fiat apparently Superdrug are about to cap at 12gb when roaming from February.

Same as my Three contract.

igm

Even if your mobile company charges it’s worth checking how much. On some EE tariffs the incremental costs is £0.

hot_fiat

That’s a pain Phil. Will have to see if that’s new connection or existing ones as well.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PAYG SIM for Europe?’ is closed to new replies.