Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Pay Rises illegal in Belgium
  • Sancho
    Free Member

just talking to one of the accountants at work today and he was telling me that the company is getting fined for giving someone a pay rise in their Belgium office, apparently against the law at the moment to get a pay increase.

not sure of the details but sounds incredible.

wwaswas

change their job title and say it attracts a higher salary?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sancho
    Free Member

wow! i didnt realise
    but cant just change job title as that I guess would involve some other law.

Glad Im not Belgian right now.

jam-bo

Glad Im not Belgian right now.

Fixed.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Why? Are you getting big increases where you are?

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Very strange, sounds like something out of Atlas Shrugged.

Interesting to consider the likely consequences of such a policy in terms of general price inflation etc.

Sancho
    Free Member

I wish, I was, but it seems rather draconian to control pay rises by law

binners

Just pretend you’re Harry Redknapp and ask them to pop the required amount in used, non-sequential notes, into a Brown Envelope and drop it off with you on a motorway services somewhere

br
    Free Member

I’ve worked in Belgium, if any nationality knows how to get around laws/policies etc its the Belgians…

willard

Belgium was put on this earth so that France and Germany would have somewhere flat to fight.

That said, they make exceptional beer, god chocolate and have Europe’s only fully lit motorway system.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

two manky hookers and a racist dwarf!!! i think i’m heading home

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Many countries have had statutory incomes policies, included the United States and Britain. Ted Heath’s government legally enforced wage increase limits, and Jim Callaghan’s government had the “social contract”, a voluntary agreement with the trade unions whereby wage increases would be limited to below the inflation rate and prices were legally controlled by the price commission (there was also price subsidies). Many called it the “social con-trick” and when the agreement expired Callaghan enforced a 5% wage increase limit by punishing private companies who broke the limit and enforcing it on the public sector, despite not passing any legislation. This led to what became known by the press as the Winter of Discontent. Gordon Brown tried to similarly control wages without passing legislation by severely restricting public sector wage increases knowing the knock on effect it would have on the private sector. Thatcher just relied on doubling unemployment to keep wage increases down without the need for a statutory incomes policy. IMO

But yeah, we’ve had statutory incomes policies in Britain.

muddyground
    Free Member

….don’t they get around it by giving additional paid annual leave each year?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Almost feudal?

irelanst
    Free Member

two manky hookers and a racist dwarf!!! i think i’m heading home

Don’t go on the train, they might catch you!

Marge
    Free Member

Very old story and limited only to the pay rises we get linked to cost-of-living etc.

I just received a pay rise (employed under Flemish contract) and did last year too… (Though they weren’t huge)

And FYI: we turn the motorway lights out now at night some places.. 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Pay Rises illegal in Belgium’ is closed to new replies.