Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Paul Components Chainkeeper – good for 1×10 ?
  • allthepies
    Free Member

Looking for a chainguard for my 1×10 setup. Don’t like the MRP 1x as it has no lateral adjustment and I’m getting chain rub in quite a few gears.

So looking at the chainkeeper as that does allow some lateral (in-out) tuning. Anyone using one with a 1x setup ? Work well ? Can it cope with a 1×10 range OK without much rubbing ?

Ta.

ajantom

Works fine on a 1×9 11-34 block, so should be ok on a 1×10 as the block is the same width isn’t it?

Liftman

Yes, use it on the 1×10 set up on my hard tail, worlds great and has plenty of adjustment to get the right position

allthepies
    Free Member

Cheers guys, sounds like the ticket then 🙂

Now to find one! £46 is the “best” price I can find so far in UK without going down the import route 😯

Dyffers
    Free Member

Works fine no rubbing on my 1×9.

I did do the import myself & got it for about £35 last year.

allthepies
    Free Member

Yeah, saw that. I need the high direct mount version though.

nedrapier

Wot they said. I ordered from Jenson USA. Got stung for tax and handling. Cost more than £46 all in.

robbo167
    Free Member

Brick Lane Bikes could be your friend here….

allthepies
    Free Member

Yup, they have ’em in stock for £46 posted.

robbo167
    Free Member

You get stickers too..

allthepies
    Free Member

Oooooooo 😛

allthepies
    Free Member

OK, my ChainKeeper arrived today 🙂

It’s a high direct mount version intended to fit on my Lurcher.

However there seem to be two versions of the HD mount chain keeper, one with a long arm and one with a short arm (confused!).

The image at the online shop where I bought mine showed the following

But what I received is

Note the much shorter arm.

I’m at work now so can’t try to fit on the bike but what gives ? There’s only mention of one high direct mount on the Paul website (where they show the “long” arm version).

Anyone got a HD mount chainkeeper ? Long or short arm ?

Ta.

GEDA
    Free Member

I just looked at the chain keeper. Can somebody explain what the difference between it and a cheap front mech without the shifter and adjusted to the position you want? Is it just a weight thing say 69g vs 140g for a cheap alivio mech?

hatter

Functionally, not that much, the main appeal of the Pauls is the fact it looks super neat and tidy, even compared to other dedicated 1 x 10 devices.

Use mine with an 11-36 block and Shadow Plus mech, never lost the chain and it never makes a sound, great system.

allthepies
    Free Member

You could use a front mech to do the same job 🙂

beagle
    Free Member

Hello. Apols for the high jack! Looking for an MRP, give me a shout if you are selling. Cheers.

allthepies
    Free Member

I have a MRP 1x high direct mount which will be surplus to requirements *if* the Paul mount works.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Daft question time! My bike came with 2×10 (Salsa El Mariachi), can I just 1×10 it out of the box, or do I have to use a shorter cage rear mech?? Yup I has no clue if it is short cage or not 😛

GEDA
    Free Member

Monkeychild I assume that you could just take the front shifter off. “Fix/Adjust” the front mech to the correct position and you have 1 X 10. The chain will be the same length unless you take the big ring off and just keep the small one then you will not need such a long chain.

allthepies
    Free Member

Update: My vendor reckons that the version I’ve received will be OK for 32t chainring, will check tonight 🙂

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Paul Components Chainkeeper – good for 1×10 ?’ is closed to new replies.