Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Patio Heater use in a Garage
  • grantyboy
    Free Member

Would using my patio heater in my double garage to warm it up before TT seassons be a bad idea?

molgrips
    Free Member

YES

I would wager it’s got ‘outdoor use only’ stamped all over it, and for a good reason.

Why the hell do you want to warm up your garage for turbo training? If you’re cold you’re DEFINITELY doing it wrong.

prawny

Yes you will die.

zippykona

First thing I’m thinking of is paint fumes. What do you store in your garage?

wwaswas

garage full of carbon monoxide is probably not the best environment to be trying to exercise (or even continue breathing) in.

onehundredthidiot

Build up of asphyxiants and poisonous gasses would put me off.

grantyboy
    Free Member

thought it wasn’t my best idea of the day.

csb

I worked on building sites years ago and we had a sofa and kettle in one of the new build garages. In the cold winter we procured a gas heater and next I knew I was being dragged out nearly unconscious by some brickies as I’d fallen asleep in there. Don’t do it!

midlifecrashes

Death on a stick.

seavers
    Free Member

thought it wasn’t my best idea of the day.

I want to know your worst idea of the day! 😀

McHamish
    Free Member

Would using my patio heater in my double garage to warm it up before TT seassons be a bad idea

The answer largely depends on your immunity from carbon monoxide.

If you’re immune to carbon monoxide poisoning, then you’ll be fine.

However, if like everyone else and you may fall asleep and die when exposed to carbon monoxide in enclosed spaces, then it’s probably a bad idea.

To reduce the risk of explosions, ensure that you precariously stack any paints, thinners, methylated spirits etc next to the heater. Also, ensure you have a large pile of oil/fuel soaked rags nearby too.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Is anyone else blushing on Grantyboy’s behalf? 😳

wwaswas

damn, the only question ever posted on stw without the ending ‘Will I die?’ and possibly the only one where the answer would be ‘Yes’.

*sulks*

vorlich
    Free Member

Grantyboy currently so embarrassed he’s gassing himself in the garage with the patio heater. 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Surprised no-one’s told him to MTFU yet.

buck53

This is surely one of the few threads on here where you can legitimately answer, “Yes, you will die. Quite possibly in a firey ball of death.”

footflaps

If you’re immune to carbon monoxide poisoning, then you’ll be fine.

Well to be fair, he won’t know this until he tries….

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Clicky Much safer, no instant death.

🙂

crikey
    Free Member

Turbo training will get you so hot that you can do it outside in sub zero temps in just a pair of bib shorts.

Yes, I should have put this in the neighbours think I’m weird thread…

thegreatape
    Free Member

STW at it’s worst, again. The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question – i.e. a safety question to which he did not know the answer – and he just gets mocked by the mob. 🙄 I despair at the decline of this forum and I’m considering deleting my account.

toys19
    Free Member

I too think it is a bit mean to ridicule lack of knowledge. It’s all a bit lord of the flies..

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

thegreatape – Member

STW at it’s worst, again. The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question – i.e. a safety question to which he did not know the answer – and he just gets mocked by the mob. I despair at the decline of this forum and I’m considering deleting my account.

It was quite a bone head question in fairness.

toys19
    Free Member

So lack of understanding of the combustion products of a gas heater makes him thick?
    I do not think so.

Whilst I am reasonably sure that it is dangerous, I’ll be honest I am not 100% convinced that there is a CO risk. (Well not enough to try it, but I would not ridicule anyone for considering it, I would warn them against it though)

I wonder if a patio heater is based on the design of one of these:

grantyboy
    Free Member

To clear this up it’s a 2kw electric heater, not a gas heater. I’ll blame my head cold for not typing straight.

Garage contains no flammable liquid

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

No, i didn’t call him thick, I just said it was a daft question.

As it happens, it’s electric anyway, so he can crack on. 🙂

thegreatape
    Free Member

Top work grantyboy!

molgrips
    Free Member

I too think it is a bit mean to ridicule lack of knowledge. It’s all a bit lord of the flies..

It’s just banter, I hope he takes it that way.

Although I bet he turns it off after 5 mins.

Then strips off.

Then fetches a towel to mop up loads of sweat.

Then finally goes to Machine Mart to buy a fan for next time.

wrecker
    Free Member

It’s only fair to warn you that an electric patio heater will cost a fortune to run. A gas one would be much cheaper 😉

avdave2

No, i didn’t call him thick, I just said it was a daft question.

But you weren’t bright enough to ask if it was gas or electric – bonehead 🙂

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

But you weren’t bright enough to ask if it was gas or electric – bonehead

Touche! I wasn’t alone though! 😉

dabble
    Free Member

It’s all a bit lord of the flies.

This is STW, your knot gnu hear, wares you’re probelem?

(who’s gonna bite? 😉 )

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

STW at it’s worst, again. The OP asked a perfectly reasonable question – i.e. a safety question to which he did not know the answer – and he just gets mocked by the mob. I despair at the decline of this forum and I’m considering deleting my account.

Toodles

seavers
    Free Member

Don’t delete your account, lots of banter on this thread. I like most thought the OP was going to use a gas heater and not an electric one.

KennySenior
    Free Member

Toodles

I think he was taking the piss out of the hand wringers.

totalshell

if your needing to heat the garage to to turbo train your doing it wrong.. in winter 9 you d be out on the bike at any other time i used to use our shed with the door open and had old towels on the handlebars to mop up the excess seat.. rusty bikes even on turbo trainers are a no no

avdave2

What turbo trainer and STW super athlete sweaty bastard to heat my patio?

cheers_drive

After a couple of minutes on the turbo you’ll be sweating like the proverbial even if its below zero outside. Then you go over to turn the heater off whilst dripping with sweat and electrocute yourself so definitely not safe 😉

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Patio Heater use in a Garage’ is closed to new replies.