Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • #TOTW Pathetic acts of gnaar of which you are disproportionately proud.
  • StuF

A few years ago, riding a narrow beam, about 1′ – 1’6″ off the ground at sherwood pines, lost my balance and started to fall off sideways but at the last moment pulled up on the handlebars and landed successfully and rode out of it. I’m still amazed I didn’t stack it.

This year I got round ardrock on a hardtail and didn’t break myself or the bike (notice I didn’t say without falling off)

johncoventry

Riding down a steep cobbled hill after bottling 4 goes.

Post Hill near Leeds.

Still scares me.

gingerflash

At the time i was pleased with this, not least because it was dark and i had no lights.
    (the light is from a remote camera flash)

gingerflash

It felt a lot steeper at the time, one of those things where you look at the picture later and say “is that it???”.

gingerflash

Post Hill requires a lot of confidence in your front brake and front tyre.

gingerflash

Just found this on Post Hill.
    1:1.6 gradient!

Old Timey motorbike hillclimb

johncoventry

My brother first did Post hill on a hard tail canti brakes and elastomer pace forks.
    He went into work and told a lad about it.

He heard nothing more from the lad until a week or so later he came in with a bust wrist having fallen off trying

gingerflash

I rode Post Hill about 15 years ago i think. It was a regular feature on night rides. Probably haven’t ridden it since about 2009 i would have thought.

johncoventry

It would be interesting to try Post Hill on a modern bike.

Bet it’s still scary and a challenge.

flicker
    Free Member

Any time both wheels come off the ground at the same time!

For clarity, do we need to still be attached to the bike on landing? 🙁

johnx2
    Free Member

Any time both wheels come off the ground at the same time!

yeah, I’ve toppled slowly over on my side too

anyway, let’s get urban…

IHN

I’ve just clocked the angle of the tree, which I assume is vertical, against the angle of the track on that Post Hill pic. Yoiks.

Alex

Les Gets MTB holiday - June 2014

Off the Plenney run in Morzine. On a 26inch wheel bike and I didn’t die 😉 Good job it was a 26 based on how far I’ve got my ar*e over the back. Everyone else seemed to ride off it no problems. I had to be towed in a number of times before committing. I was blooming proud of that right up until I saw the pic. It was WAY smaller than I remember.

Still did make full use of all the travel and tyre squish 🙂

Les Gets MTB holiday - June 2014

That ^^^ cobble hill looks steep. Bet it’s fun in the wet 😳

stcolin
    Free Member

I think the first time I hit the bottom drop on Matador at Inners. Admittedly it was slightly off to the right, but having watched a few of my mates hit it no problem I finally plucked up the courage to do it a couple of times. I do have photographic evidence somewhere….

Then you realise that probably 75% of anyone who does Matador probably hits that drop!

TheBrick
    Free Member

Did a wall ride off the top of a quarter last night.It was pretty small but took a gulp of mtfu to do.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Off the Plenney run in Morzine

Handily, if it all went wrong, you could have pulled on the ripcord & used the parachute to save yourself.

I assume that’s what you had in the holdall you are wearing on your back? 🙂

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@nbt – The Middlewood platform drop, yeah always go off that. The flat landing is a bit thumpy on a HT or short travel bike!

Turn off the Middlewood Way at Springbank Ln or Brookledge Ln and get yourself up to Nab Quarry/Styperson’s. There’s a good selection of drops (some are a bit hidden/not obvious) and a cliff drop I’ve not got the bottle for. Mind you it can be lethal slippy at this time of year!

el_boufador

The thing about post hill, is that it’s not just steep, it’s really, really long.
    Very intimidating rolling into the top

el_boufador

That gives you an idea of the size of it. Old photo from back when it was used as a motorbike trial hill climb.

gingerflash

It was bought by the Yorkshire Post for use by the local motorsports clubs, hence the name.

funkmasterp

The Middlewood platform drop, yeah always go off that. The flat landing is a bit thumpy on a HT or short travel bike!

Tried it on my Dirtbomb this summer and it went a tad wrong.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

It’s not a huge drop but I wouldn’t be over keen to do it on a fully rigid!

I’ve done a few with uphill landings, proper violent bottom outs, they don’t even have to be that big and it feels like your bike will snap in two!

Northwind

Finally managing to drop the first drop on Bomper at BMCC this year. It’s really not that big but the sightlines are absolutely cursed, the horizon as you approach is like some sort of escher picture, and the run-in’s awkward too. The same rock in another place would be an effortless float off.

That was probably my best riding moment of the year tbh!

Alex

Bloody hell ^^ that hill

I assume that’s what you had in the holdall you are wearing on your back?

That contained my bravery pills 🙂

el_boufador

The other thing that shits me up about post hill is the transition to flat at the bottom.
    If it was a gentler transition, then even if your front brake failed, you may be able to ride it out.

As it is, if your brake failed near to the top you’d probably be doing… what? 70mph at least by the bottom? Slammed into the deck.

nickjb
    Free Member

I pretty chuffed when I get up the kerb and round the corner into my front path without dabbing.

johncoventry

Post Hill.
    It’s not just the steepness it’s how rough the cobbles are.
    It’s a case of getting down the steep bit as slowly as you can / as fast as you dare then getting under control before you get going too fast on the easier less steep bottom section.

Rich_s

Old footage of accident on post hill.

reeksy

This has reminded me of a ‘fun’ ride i led a few years ago. I’m not proud of it, but anyway…

I’d ridden some fire trails on a motorbike a few years previous and remembered them being particularly steep and feeling very relieved to make it out alive.

For some reason i thought this might make it interesting to ride on an MTB. Not many people were game to join me… i ended up with two ebiker mates only.

It started well, with a fun descent. Then it got unrideable. I went OTB on one of the steepest sections and my mates didn’t even try to ride that section.

Weirdly the trail was marked ‘moderate’ for horse riding.

The descent was the easiest bit though, even cutting the loop short, pushing ebikes up hill because it was way too steep to ride turned out to be a lot less fun than intended. Only bit of video i took was one of the sketchy bits. The rest was too tiring.

Needless to say this was a long way from phone reception, let alone houses or people.

IHN

I’ve found a pic of the steps what started this whole thing off 🙂

Huck your gnarpoons over this and stoke yourself to the max:

matt_outandabout

Plenney run in Morzine

Oh yeah – I spent a fortnight riding everything, including some blacks on my steel 26″ HT.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/284wDnj]Sanderson Breath Les Gets[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

BillOddie

There is a cheeky footpath cut through on my local loop that ends with a really tight right angled right hander between 2 walls that are about 800mm apart. To get round without cheating requires a little endo in just the right spot.

Always makes me smile when i nail it.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

still maintain it’s one of the hardest black runs open to the public. The red they’ve built there is heaps of fun, and it sort of lures into a false sense of security, then (because you’re an idiot) you think “How hard can that black actually be?”

But, but, but the bloody chairlift runs right above it for about 15 minutes. It’s quite clearly certain death 🙂

Except when covered in two feet of powder.)

ernie

jamesoz

That’s a fair sized drop with a saddle at full mast. Not really a pathetic act of gnaar.

reeksy

That’s not a saddle, it’s his chin rest.

fazzini

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, aged 12, I once rode down the gnarr concrete stairs at Whitley Bay bandstand (if you know them you’ll know just how utterly crazy that is 🤔😜) on my 5 speed Puch Pacemaker racing bike. I survived. Just. Never did it again. I’ve hated rock gardens ever since.

irc

In the 70s, doing a jump on ny Raleigh 3 speed where I landed hard enough to bend the forks but stayed on.

singlespeedstu

@ernie.
    Caddon Bank?

feed

Last time I was in Morzine (close to 10 yrs ago) I hired a DH bike for a day. Did this jump on the black under the main chairlift. I was properly bricking it rolling in to it. In my mind after it I was now ready for Rampage 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘#TOTW Pathetic acts of gnaar of which you are disproportionately proud.’ is closed to new replies.