Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • patching jeans
  • neilnevill
    Free Member

I’m sure most on here are the same as me (cyclist thighs), and always wear jeans out pretty fast at the crotch, between my legs. cheap jeans ike TU in just a few months, more expensive like Levis may last a little more but not loads. It seems jeans are cheaper/thinner these days…. or my crotch is more abrasive as jeans don’t last long these days. Many years ago as a student I’d get a bit longer from a pair by patching but it never lasted long, however having learnt that cotton is so bad environmentally (water consumption) and jeans being so short lived now I thought I might try it again. Anybody got any technique or tips for a more long lasting patch?

faerie
    Free Member

I find that iron on patches never stay on long enough to wear out. I use old clothes to repair new ones and hand stitch as wonder web only lasts a wash or two

brant
    Free Member

cotton is so bad environmentally (water consumption)

Takes less water to make a pair of jeans than it does to make 500g of chocolate or three burgers. Jeans aren’t the problem here.

https://curiosity.com/topics/there-are-2000-gallons-of-water-in-your-jeans-sort-of-curiosity/

https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2015/02/12/love-water-for-chocolate/

https://www.latimes.com/food/dailydish/la-dd-gallons-of-water-to-make-a-burger-20140124-story.html

joshvegas
    Free Member

My crotch rot pattern is located behind the seam so I have in the past cut and unstitched the seam to create a half moon hole which I have filled with a biased cut patch from.

Looked good outlasted the rest of the jeans but can’t find a photo.

neilnevill
    Free Member

hmm yes, I’ve considered the iron on patches….I’ve used that sort of thing on pockets before and it was ok but that’s an easy life for a patch i think.

joshvegas, yes my wear/rot pattern is close the the seam so its been very hard to patch. So you cut the seam out and effectively create a hole that is the top bit of both legs either side of the seam? so you’ve just got a single thickness of denim to stitch too? but do you manage to use a single piece of patch? or do you use 2 pieces and seam them together?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’ve been wearing the alpkit jeans and have been designed with a bit of cycling in mind. If you are going to purchase some new ones have a look. Not had them long enough to give a full endorsement but they have been fine so far 👍

joshvegas
    Free Member

Sorry a picture would totally help here!

If you do some staring a crotches… The seam coming up the legs and meeting in the middle, I unpick that down the leg until past the holes. I then cut back the rear of the jeans that’s shot.

I can’t really remember the seams I made but the existing leg seam was recreated. The new seam I think was created by ironing the edge of the patch in an overlapping the original material then sewing tight to the edge to minimise the flap.

Didn’t replace with denim as it all gets a bit chunky best material I found was old black aprons I stole from work 😁 thin and tough.

It’s a bit of a pain in the arse the first time but once it was sorted the next time was easier.

Now I don’t cycle in jeans… Problem solved

neilnevill
    Free Member

AHH gotcha. Ta. I don’t cycle in jeans anyway.., just normal wear rot!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘patching jeans’ is closed to new replies.