Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Patagonia Rain Jacket – Torrentshell or Stretch Rain Shadow
  • strawb3110
    Free Member

Wouldn’t normally be able to ‘splash out’ on high end waterproof jackets but wife has got the chance to get great deals on either of these as a present for me. Would anybody have any experiences of either jacket in general or for biking use?

FOG

Had 2 Torrentshells over the years and didn’t really use them on the bike as they kept me very hot despite having pit zips. The material was also quite stiff and rustley if that bothers you. Fit was also very baggy. So why did I buy another? It was ideal for shoving in the walking pack as an emergency and also just wearing round town[and I got them at a very good price].
    I was told in an outdoor shop last week that Patagonia were planning to drop the model because it wasn’t good enough! Just salesman rumour talk but may be true.

ElShalimo

I have a 6 yr old Stretch Patagonia shell with their proprietary H2NO membrane. It’s been pretty crap from new. Wets out quickly and always feels clammy inside, even on very cold dry days. Weird. My mate has a newer H2NO membrane jacket and they are still ropey.

There are better jackets out there for the money. Marmot PreCip is always a decent cheap waterproof.

strawb3110
    Free Member

Ah cool, cheers for the response, I’ll also have a look at the Marmot Jacket also, how well does the hood fit over a helmet and does it have a membrane inside?

BillOddie

I have a Patagonia Torrent Shell and as posted above it’s great as a shove in a bag shell or for around town on top of a fleece.

I wouldn’t want to ride in it though.

matt_outandabout

I will also add, as a huge Patagonia fan boi in the past, they’re cut is so boxy compared with others now. Other brands have caught up on quality and longevity. Other brands match the eco credentials.
    We’ve two Torrentshells in the house (kids and adult) – ok, but rustly, long lasting but baggy cut with poor hoods.

Montane Atomic, Salomon Bonnatti, MTN Hardware Thunder or Berghaus Trek Lite Knock spots off the Patagucci as a cheap, light jacket (we have them all in the house).

strawb3110
    Free Member

Cheers Matt, which of your suggestions above would best suit ‘on bike’ duties?

ElShalimo

I reckon a proper bike waterproof. Try Endura or Madison

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Patagonia Rain Jacket – Torrentshell or Stretch Rain Shadow’ is closed to new replies.