Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Passportes du Soleil – who's going?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

We’re kicking off our Alps trips with another go at the PPdS this year. Probably Sunday.

Registration opens on Feb 10. Think we’re going to try for Morzine this year, last time it was Morgins. Will the queues be really bad?

Who else is heading out?

a11y

Me!

Well, the ferries are booked and we’re fully intending signing up once the entries open next week. Just unsure where to select for a starting point, so any advice would be welcomed from those that’ve done it before.

Aiming to stay in the campsite above Les Gets (http://www.morznet.com/more/morzine-accommodation-camping-caravans-la-grange-au-frene.htm?id_service=11321) or the one just outside Morzine (http://www.campinglesmarmottes.com/en/acces.html). Would be nice not to have to drive anywhere for a few days as it’s a hell of a drive for us, so wherevers best for riding from the campsite would be best…

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi Ally, taking your Spicy I presume? Having done it on an 8in bike two years ago I’m definitely taking a 5 or 6in one this year!

We stayed at the Chatel campsite and it was very pleasant, a short climb to the centre of town – although we drove to Morgins to start.

We’ll probably look at getting an apartment in Morzine as it only cost a little more than camping last time.

Phototim
    Free Member

I’m moving out to Switzerland on Saturday so may well pop along to this. I did the Freeraid back in 2003 I think, is it basically the same thing? If I do it, I’ll be coming in from Chatel I expect.

brakes
    Free Member

me! in a group of 8
    fingers crossed we’ll all get a spot – accommodation booked in Morzine so we’ll head out from there too

a11y

Hi Ally, taking your Spicy I presume? Having done it on an 8in bike two years ago I’m definitely taking a 5 or 6in one this year!

We stayed at the Chatel campsite and it was very pleasant, a short climb to the centre of town – although we drove to Morgins to start.

We’ll probably look at getting an apartment in Morzine as it only cost a little more than camping last time.
    Yep it’ll be the Spicy for sure. I reckon it’d be great fun on my 456ss, but as I’m not in it for speed records I’m taking the Spicy. I’ve also encouraged the wife to enter too and I’ll end up waiting around for her anyway, so dragging a heavier bike around the course shouldn’t be an issue (well, for me at least…). Hoping for a bit more biking elsewhere while we’re over – yet to decide where – but the Spicy should be fine, I hope.

Definately camping as we’re travelling in our new(ish) campervan and need to use it to justify the cost 😀

binners

Not this year I’m afraid 🙁

chakaping – We started in Morzine last year. The queues weren’t bad at all. Just make sure you get there for when the lift first opens.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

whats it all about, this PdS thingy then? I live in morzine (only as of this autumn though…), and have heard of it, but no idea what it is… will my 120mm HT be ok?!

chakaping
    Free Member

ally – spicy will be great for PPdS and riding the DH trails in general

monkey – it’s a mass-participation 70km-ish XC ride (with a few DH options), with less than 1000m of vertical climb if memory serves – using the lift system for most of the ups. 120mm HT would be fine.

Best thing is the brilliant food stations though – which have chocolate, meat, wine and beer – along with sensible things.

nickf
    Free Member

Yep, will be doing it again this year. Last year I was daft enough to do the whole circuit on a Kona Stab plus armounr and a full-facer…this year I’ll be on a Patriot 7. Unsure on helmet – some of the (optional) DH sections really are proper DH, but there’s a lot of gentle descents as well. I reckon I’ll go with the heavier armour options as I do like to hoon it down the hills, and seeing the state of some of the (few) people who had big crashes last year, I’d be unwilling to risk the big stuff wearing an open-facer. Wife will be doing it with me on a coil-sprung 5-Spot.

Note: don’t worry about your start point (to a degree). You only need to sign in there, so you could sign in at, say, Les Lindarets or Les Gets but run your circuit from Morzine, if that’s where you’re staying. I went from Morzine last year and found the queues perfectly fine.

Great day out, but I was shattered last year when I finished.

showerman
    Free Member

group of 4 thur through monday may get 2 goes at it as it is over 3 days this year

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

awesome… might as well sign up then!

a11y

Registration opens on Thursday and I’m now torn about where to register for as a start point. I know it’s possible to change it at a later stage but I’d rather avoid the hassle and I’d also rather pick the place we’re going to stay to avoid unnecessary driving…

Now thinking about Chatel as an alternative to Les Gets or Morzine, based on hearing reports of good riding there from the town. Anyone got an opinion?

For normal trail/XC riding (i.e. not full-on DH stuff) with lift assistance, can anyone offer an opinion over where would be best to stay? Looking for riding that will keep my interest (black route type of rider) but not scare the wife (comfortable red-router but hesitant on black).

binners

You can sign in the night before, then start from anywhere you like. Half outr lot were registered in Les Gets, Half in Morzine. We all registered the night before and started from Morzine

a11y – I’d think twice about starting from Chatel. Its looooooooooooooong and fairly mental. Probably one enjoyed earlier in the day when you’re a bit fresher

vinnyeh

I’m going to pop along to this I think- any recommendations for decent camping (in a van)?

ddmonkey

Hi Hungry Monkey, you mentioned that you moved to Morzine this autumn, I moved out to Le Biot in September. e-mail me on timbo_tep AT yahoo DOT co DOT uk if you fancy meeting up for a cheeky winter ride seeing as there is not much snow!

chakaping
    Free Member

Ally – can’t really help with advice on XC routes or Chatel trails, but we’re picking Morzine because it’s in a good position to ride Les Gets (my fave trails from last time) and also to get out to Avoriaz, Chatel, Linderets etc.

Do drop me a line if you want to hook up with us for a ride out there.

snowslave

Stay at the hotel l’equipe in morzine, and ask for the goat treatment…

Northwind

I’d love to, looks amazing but money won’t allow this year. Looking forward to hearing reports from you lot that do though

a11y

Morzine it’s going to be. I’ve heard reports of Chatel having more trails from the town, but that Morzine is well-placed for accessing lots of trails too. We’d rather be in the thick of it anyway – planning to book Les Marmottes camping once we’re registered.

chakaping – might well do, not sure exactly what days we’re planning to stay in the area. Possibly arriving the Tue/Wed before and staying until the Tue/Wed after before moving onto another area.

vinnyeh – check out the camping links in one of my earlier posts. Those are the two campsites that’ve been recommended to me. We’ll be camping in a van too.

And thanks for everyone’s help 🙂

Andy

Not really decided yet. Think I’ll get a Sat ticket from Chatel or Morzine and decide closer to the time.

Vinnyeh; good campsites in both Chatel and Morzine.

binners

Snowslave’s right. You have to demand the goat treatment at l’equipe. You haven’t been to Morzine otherwise.

Think of it as a sort of right of passage. A corridor into another world. A dark and frightening, slightly traumatised world, but… its character building 🙂

chakaping
    Free Member

Had to register at Les Gets as Morzine was full by about 9.30!

Will follow your advice and try to register the day before Binners.

toys19
    Free Member

Managed to get our group registered in morzine for sunday see you on the slopes chapaking!

jhw
    Free Member

I might be revealing myself to be a complete idiot/grump but to me the race looks like it’s mostly on (admittedly scenic) fireroads?

toys19
    Free Member

as far as I can see its just most of the descents linked by lifts.
    I hope so as I’m taking my DH bike..

ddmonkey

Yay booked for Les Lindarets for the Saturday. Really looking forward to this now! Especially the food and beer! I will use my trusty Partiot 66 and as much armour as I can stand depending upon the weather!

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not very technical and there’s a fair bit of pedalling, but it’s by no means all fireroad.

Oh, and it’s not a race either, much more of a social event.

Toys – I did it on an older model Big Hit (8in travel) last time and it was a bit harrowing. Most of the trails were too flat to enjoy much. A trail bike would be far more enjoyable if you have the opportunity to take one at all.

toys19
    Free Member

Well I am driving so I could easily bring two bikes. PS did you get my email?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Anyone else getting this?

Error

An unexpected event has occured.

Your actions have been noted and a notice has been sent to our technical team.

Can’t get past this on the booking page 🙁 Maybe I’d be better riding the area’s techy trails if it’s not a techy route…

vinnyeh

Morzine on Saturday.

just looked at the local campsite website and they seem to want a booking form and cash sent in an envelope. This could be a PITA.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I am driving so I could easily bring two bikes. PS did you get my email?

Yes thanks. Will reply shortly.

🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yay got in under a new log-in.

toys19
    Free Member

Al where and which day? With Chapaking on site we could have an STW love in…

brakes
    Free Member

we’re in, Sunday from Morzine, was getting a pit panicky with only 20 places left.
    my understanding is that you can only register on the day, and not the night before.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I’ve booked Chatel Sunday (with soulrider of these parts). My plans may change (I bought cancellation insurance) as I’ve only just conceived the trip and need to sort out a visit to another pal and time off work. But I plan to be around beforehand, and a love-in would be very nice, I thought no-one on here liked me 🙁

EDIT and I think I’ll be there on my own from Friday so would be good to have folk to ride/hang/stay with.

Trimix
    Free Member

Three of us got in at Les Gets first thing this morning – one of our group waited too long and failed to get in before it sold out. Hes now left to buy one starting in the next bloody country 🙂

Muppet !

nickf
    Free Member

In for Morzine on Saturday.

I’d echo the comments above about bike choice – I did it on a Kona Stab last year and it nearly killed me.

Looks like I may have 2-3 spare places for Morzine/Saturday. If so, would anyone be interested (for the face falue of €48, not looking to make anything here)?

brakes
    Free Member

why would you buy spare places? that’s just annoying

nickf
    Free Member

Brakes, I bought them at the same time as my wife. She was supposed to be in a meeting and thus unable to purchase. The meeting got cancelled, she bought tickets at exactly the same time as me.

Best-laid plans and all that….I can’t get a refund (should have ticked that box), so I’m doing the next best thing and letting people who would like to go the opportunity to have them. Can’t do much better to rectify the situation, can I?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Passportes du Soleil – who's going?’ is closed to new replies.