Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Passportes du Soleil – Who else is going
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’m meeting up with two mates there only one with an entry but that’s nothing a lift pass and some cash won’t sort out. Starting from Les Lindarets on Friday then riding Saturday too.

slackalice
    Free Member

Doing the do from Morzine on Friday and riding generally Saturday and Sunday.

frogstomp

Based in Chatel but starting from Torgon on the Sunday then staying for the week.. can’t wait! 😀

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    atlaz
    Free Member

Keep an eye out for a red Mondraker, a raw SC Nomad and a black SC Tallboy.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Is he taking the Tallboy? He’s got that 29er Spesh Enduro now hasn’t he? Either works though, so long as his XXL rig fits in my car! 😀

I’m on the Nomad by the way, and yeah if anyone drops out and has an entry from Les Lindarets or somewhere near, i.e. Morzine, Avoriaz, etc, that would be a bonus, but can make do without I hope. Not fussed on getting a time (Strava will do). Just need to take food and be prepared to deal with my own recovery/medicals :D.

atlaz
    Free Member

I thought he didn’t get it in the end but could be wrong. He wanted me to buy it over on the mainland but changed his mind as far as I knew. I guess we’ll both find out in a week.

slackalice
    Free Member

Red, raw and black. Got it…. 😕

Any other distinguishing marks? 😉

I’ll be on an orange pyga, with a black ano Canyon plus a.n. other.

I’m sure we’ll bump into each other!!!

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

Was there last year, great event
    make sure you do the optional extra downhills!

flap_jack
    Free Member

Two old gits on 15 year old single pivot Marins here. Friday from Morzine.
    Driving down this saturday, hope the Super-Morzine lift has started …

ajc
    Free Member

Have you lot checked out the amount of snow still in the mountains? Last week lots of the north facing slopes still had 2m of snow. Apparently people were skiing at prela Joux (Chatel bike park) above Plaine Dranse. Good luck

slackalice
    Free Member

Hmmm, I’m not surprised. I was skiing there at the end March/beginning of April and did wonder how all the snow would go away by the end of June, even if it didn’t snow anymore – which apparently, it has. A lot.

cookies

It snowed in Chamonix this week… 16cm due in Alpe D’huez

check out the link…

The Mega May be challenging this year

http://www.j2ski.com/ski-chat-forum/posts/list/14166.page;jsessionid=73379CDAF0BA4D50CA82AC6DDE2CBA57

atlaz
    Free Member

It’s only just got hot down in the middle of Europe. 31 degrees today. 15 degrees this weekend. I’m guessing there will be more shitty weather before we’re done too. I rode Lac Blanc a few weeks back and it’s the quickest clean to totally covered in mud time I’ve had. Bike and rider totally covered in half a run. Apparently now it’s dusty.

So, deadkenny has the raw nomad with CB wheels, I’ve got a fire-engine red mondraker dune with bright orange CB wheels and to make sure you can’t miss us, Nav on the Tallboy (or Enduro, who knows) is about 18 feet tall.

Maybe we should have a Friday night STW beer in Morzine as it seems most of us so far are doing the ride on Friday

flap_jack
    Free Member

Maybe we should have a Friday night STW beer in Morzine as it seems most of us so far are doing the ride on Friday

Well I’ll be in Bar Robinson once I’ve finished – if I complete it unscathed. But then, so will everyone else…

woolymonster
    Free Member

Yep, me too….I’ll be the pie eater on a Neon Green Five – Starting from Morzine on the Sunday and ar$ing about from Friday on 😀 Hope to catch some ppl there. Mutzig’s all round in Robinsons then? 😀

Karl33to
    Free Member

yep, we’re riding it on the Friday but arriving the Sunday beforehand for a few days of mucking about in the Les Gets bike park – trying not to break anything on the first day this time round, it was hard work holding on with a broken hand

Bike already packed up and ready to go – cant wait!

slackalice
    Free Member

Bar Robinson it is 😀

I’ll be wearing the red carnation. 😯

Carlos45
    Free Member

Arriving Wed pm – group of 3 – SC TRc, Scott Genius and a Zesty. Riding the full PPDS on Friday. 645 taxi to take us up to Avoriaz from Morzine. First time in the Alps mtbing – very pumped up – new tyres – plenty of brake pads – cant wait. If we survive Friday would love to do the Col de Cou on Sat……

jambalaya
    Free Member

@deadkenny – in theory the lifts are blocked for PPdS entrants until something like 9 or 10 but in reality its not the case.

Likewise on start location. We’ve started at different places than entry but it helps to get the tickets early (you can send one person in a car with the email entry confirms to collect the packs) or the night before which we managed once. By the way they give you a lot of stuff which you don’t want to carry all day so best to be able to stash that in a car or similar of you are starting a little way from your accommodation.

Torgon on Sunday will be very quiet (started there in 2008), the lift up is interesting and ride to Chatel is over a field but the descent back through the woods is very good and great way to finish.

Don’t miss the Champery option (turn left at hairpin by farm) the main route is a very dull roll down a farm road which just goes on and on.

Yes there is still snow, Chatel Bike park has delayed full opening due to snow

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Carlos Col du Cou is good, Les Gets/Samoens via Joux Plane/Bourgeoise is better – needs a taxi back to Joux Plane or Morzine. Suggest as a warm up Thur you ride MorzIne/Les Gets and get lunch at Mont Caly for epic views and ride the red or easy black Dans Le Gaz back to Les Gets. If you miss lift you can ride down to road to MorzIne from Les Gets.

Carlos45
    Free Member

Jambalaya – spot on for Thursday – thought that’d be a good warm up. Appreciate the alternate suggestion to Col Du Cou.

flowmtbguy
    Free Member

I suspect the decent to Samoens will be snow free as well – the Col du Cou most likely won’t be – but riding it from Morzine and back should be OK – the swiss side less so.

and any dreams of riding the GR5 past lac vert…well, skis would be more suited still.

frogstomp

Temperatures well into the 70s (and higher) in the area now and a fair bit of rain so hopefully most of the last of the snow will be gone fairly soon..

deadkenny
    Free Member

Cheers @jambalaya. Hopefully it will work out. All you seem to get for the entry is just a pack of stuff you don’t want, a lift pass you can get separately anyway, a number to stick on the bike and access to food stops. Plus insurance though I do have some that might cover me as the event is not billed as a race (mine won’t cover me for races).

Been looking at the details and their terms seem to prevent you from picking up someone else’s entry…

– All bookings are non-transferable and cannot be modified under any circumstances.
    – Anyone who gives their registration plate to someone else so they can participate in the event without the
    agreement of the organisers will be held responsible for any accident that happens to them or that they cause.
    The organisers cannot be held responsible for this type of situation. Anyone participating in the event in
    someone else’s name does not qualify for the organiser’s insurance.

Anyway, riding in snow is great fun 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

Weather forecast is pretty good for the Thursday, Friday and Saturday so that’s the important riding days (for me) covered. We’re staying 2km from our start lift so should be nice and easy.

DK – You’re not actually IN the event so I think you’re fine for insurance. You’re just riding along with people who are in it.

bex
    Free Member

Arriving in Morzine next Thursday, couple of days to get to know the trails and lifts and then doing the do from Avoriaz on Sunday followed by a further week of riding/ falling/ walking the bikes around the area come sun or snow. We’ll be the two girls on bright pink and orange Oranges, all the gear and absolutely no idea (but lovin’ it anyway!) 😀

zookman
    Free Member

First time this year for me :D. Can anyone tell me if I’d be better on my 456 with Pikes and big tires, or should I use the downhill bike?

Alex

10 of us converging from various parts of UK and Europe. Staying at Le Boomerang in Les Gets. Sadly starting from Champery which is going to be logistically amusing. Arrive Friday for a ‘don’t crash ride’, PPDS on Sat and then a week of lift assisted singletrack hunting.

Quite excited is possibly a little understating how I’m feeling right now 🙂 Forecast look like it’s going to be great from the day we get there as well. I haven’t been to the alps for 10 years and about all I can remember is being very, very ill the day after being introduced to Mutzig.

chakaping
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if I’d be better on my 456 with Pikes and big tires, or should I use the downhill bike?

Both will be enjoyable and horrific in different ways.

mayan
    Free Member

The pdf itenary shows “TS de Crusaz” chair lift up from Morzine to Les gets, I know the pleney cable car is closed for the summer, but does this mean there’s a separate chair lift up from morzine?
    I’d read earlier that there would be a bus uplift from Morzine to les gets, but only for PPDS.

Anyone know where the chairlift is and when its open? (and if its actually real??!!!)

atlaz
    Free Member

There’s a chairlift for the luge thing apparently and that’s usable for other types of traffic now Pleny is closed

BTW, do most people ride normal helmets or FF?

chakaping
    Free Member

wear a normal helmet, definitely!

frogstomp

What are this and the other red ‘DH’ sections like? Are they pretty full-on or mostly rollable? We only arrive the day before so won’t have had much opportunity to acclimatise to the local riding..

chakaping
    Free Member

None of the DH options I rode were too gnarly, IIRC.

atlaz
    Free Member

Just had a look on them on youtube as our first trail of the day will be the Lindarets DH option. Pondering stashing a car at the bottom of the next lift and riding that section in FF then swapping over.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’ll be riding from Morzine on the Friday, on a matt black Merida.

eyerideit
    Free Member

We’re riding from Morzine as well.

I’ll be on a Guinness foam coloured Mojo and my friend on a Zesty, pads, full face lids, looking gnar, riding meh…

😳

atlaz
    Free Member

Guinness foam coloured

So… beige then 😉

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I’ll be on a Guinness foam coloured Mojo and my friend on a Zesty, pads, full face lids, looking gnar

I’ll be in my regular XC kit looking worried.

eyerideit
    Free Member

So… beige then

Dark Magnolia actually….. 👿 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Passportes du Soleil – Who else is going’ is closed to new replies.