Passing through Hebden bridge on way to Peak District what to ride ?

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Passing through Hebden bridge on way to Peak District what to ride ?
  • Premier Icon zinger
    Subscriber

Hi

After a wet week of biking in the lake district we are heading down to peak district for a few days

Going via Hebden Bridge on friday – the last time through we rode the STW 23 miler i.e.

which was ok, i’ve found these two additional routes which we may ride tomorrow one north and one south

both of the above are around 15 miles – i’m riding with the wife so cant do both max she want to do is around 25 m – anyone from the area got a suggestion as to which one of the above is a better ride ? – or have a different route they can share ? thx

Premier Icon zinger
    Subscriber

also which of the above would be best in the wet ? – as forecast is not looking great ,for today…

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

The last route would be the best for the wet, it’s a fair bit of paved farm road/track so should be ok. Not very exciting though! You could stay on the A6033 and do one of the pecket bridleways and meet back up with the route at midgehole.

nbt

I’d go for the lower one, but I’d add Pecket Well in if you’ve not ridden that before. Both are good though

grannyjone

Stoodley Pike side is where most of the hard tech is

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

Stoodley Pike side is where most of the hard tech is

It’s not.

grannyjone

By Stoodley I don’t just mean the pike itself but everything between there and Gaddins Dam as well

Premier Icon charliew
    Subscriber

Still not where the heb tech is!

Most of the fun HB tech stuff is unfortunately footpaths or even less than that… and most people won’t want to post the details on a public forum. However people have recorded them as Strava segments, so using the segment explorer will find you a lot. Use OS maps to find the steep wooded areas, and then point Strava segment explorer in that area and have see what you find. Then from the segments have a look at some of the top 10 times, check out routes of those riders, and then piece something together.

Sorry for being cryptic Zinger, I was in a similar position when I moved to the area and wasn’t all that impressed with the bridleway routes. Which I found odd as HB gets such a good write up. It wasn’t until I started riding with people who knew their way round that you discover the fun that can be had if you go beyond your right of way.

As it’s been said, Pecket Well is fun, and worth the slog up the road. It also holds up okay-with the bad weather, although the flatter middle section will be fairly boggy.

You could extend the bottom one a bit, where you descend at Shackleton to New Bridge, instead go North and take the bridleway along/down Crimsworth Dean. Then rejoin the road and head south to Pecket Well and take that descent to New Bridge.

Anyway I realise you’ve probably already done the ride now. Hope you both enjoyed it 👍🏻

timnwild

Go to Gisburn Forest a bit further north – my fav trail centre.

grannyjone

Whats Gisburn like at the moment ? With all this rain I bet it’s grim ?

grannyjone

To all those who say Stoodley isn’t tech ???
    Have you tried all of these

Stoodley Pike – 2 steep descents from the front
    Stoodley Ridgeline – The boulders along the top + (that bit where it dips just south of the ridgeline – I have seen *LOADS* walking that part!!! )
    Earnies Love Tunnel
    The steep descent from Gaddins Dam to the Shephards Rest
    The other, longer trail to Shephards Rest that starts from further north – Hardly anyone can do all of this with no dabs!
    The techy climb from Shephards Rest up to the top of the moors by taking a left at the top of the Packhorse and up Gaddins Dam and beyond.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

To all those who say Stoodley isn’t tech ???

I don’t think Brant is suggesting that some of the trails around the Pike aren’t techy, but just that there’s other places that have a higher density of techy trails

Premier Icon dienamic
    Subscriber

@grannyjone, the 2nd stream crossing on Shropshire I’ll give you, the rest is pretty much rideable though I think. Thought everyone knew the real HB was all hidden in the woods…

grannyjone

the 2nd stream crossing on Shropshire I’ll give you, the rest is pretty much rideable though I think

Plus that section further down where there’s two big rocks which a bike can’t possibly fit through, so the only way to ride it would be to go over the rocks on the right hand side which looks very hard.

I didn’t know it was called Shropshire.
    I have heard people calling it Sheps which sounds more like a Dogs name but I assume the reason is because it ends up at the Shephards Rest ?!

I did the bottom/last/third route yesterday as I’m visiting town.

It’s a nice XC ride, suitable for a CX bike too. Scenery is nice

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

Shropshire is a lovely trail. The tracks off the front of the pike are great. The trail off the front of Gaddings down to the Shepherds is a top one and defintely technical!

But it’s not where what’s locally called Hebden Tech is. Because that you’ve described all Todmorden riding.

I’m not sure anyone even rides Stanny’s or Mmmbop any more. The cool kids built Spaggot and wore out Barely Legal.

Anyhow. It sounds like I’m being the local grumpy pants. The riding here is great and there’s lots of variation.

Dave

Balti Steps mate, all the cool kids are riding them…

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber
    Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

I would also say more of the tech is over the other side of the valley, though that’s not to say the Stoodly side isn’t technical – it’s just more flowy and fun at the same time.

I’m not sure anyone even rides Stanny’s or Mmmbop any more.

Usually try to, if only as means of getting from one point to another or because I don’t know what else to ride.

grannyjone

I would also say more of the tech is over the other side of the valley, though that’s not to say the Stoodly side isn’t technical – it’s just more flowy and fun at the same time.

Can anyone name some of the trails on the other side that are particularly techy ? They are a complete mystery to me. I’d be amazed if there is more tech over there than there is around Stoodley. I’ll have to pay more attention in future and find them.

So far, I’ve not done as much on that side.
    I’m mainly on the Stoodley Pike side.
    On the other side I’ve done a few most notably Pecket Well, Steps of Doom and Blue Pig (both with very brain dead road climbs in between!) and the descents themselves were nowhere near as tech as what is on the Stoodley side.
    I must have missed a lot.

Premier Icon chakaping
    Subscriber

Stanny’s is a good place to start. Not sure on exact names for other stuff but tends to be a bit steeper and sometimes involve steps.

Premier Icon zinger
    Subscriber

Hi

Thanks for the info but on on the day we went with option 3

https://www.cyclecalderdale.co.uk/route/view/mtb-great-descents

We got lucky with weather it didn’t rain on us, some of the descents were a bit sloppy but on the whole it was a fun loop

Along the way we spotted some footpaths crossing the route which looked very much like the ones you see in bike test photo shoots

There was a fair bit of road on the ride – next time i’ll hunt out options to not drop down the road once you have climbed up to gray stones lane, and probably go back up p pig  to find something cheeky to drop down rather than losing all that elevation back down to hebden bridge

We will come back mid week sometime when the weathers  been drier and have a good old explore around the area

Premier Icon dienamic
    Subscriber

@grannyjone, try Spaggot, bearded lady, **** yeah and Slater wood, just not this week. They could all do with a couple of weeks to dry out!

As for riding back to Hb from the bottom of pecket, you can fork right and ride the steps back down to the riverside path, ride/push back up through Lee Wood and drop down to the bowling green at Salem, or, take the road back to Keighley road, cross over, another short climb then a nice descent through nutclough 😄

Premier Icon brant
    Subscriber

I was just watching the Yoann Barelli vid and thinking how similar a few bits looked like to round here.
    The day I cleaned Swedish Optimism* and Pagey crashed was a great one. Though I was riding a Wet Scream and he was on semi slicks 😂.

*Off Hebden Hey Road a bit further up towards the scout hut from Spaggott bottom section drops to bottom of Blud Pig by the rocks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.