Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Passat: knocking suspension?
  • jekkyl

Hi folks..
    Front driverside suspension knocks when I got over pot holes or cobbles or whatever. It’s a 10 plate and done over 120k.

What’s it likely to be and is it something I can fit myself on the drive? I’m quite handy with the spanners although tend to usually let a garage do work on the car. I’m keen to minimise financial outlay as the wife’s just been made redundant.

Thanks.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mystic 8 ball says ARB link .

Reality there are many things that could clunk in those situations however if it’s the ARB it’s easy to check and easy to change if it is.

breninbeener

Also check the balljoint thats an easy fix and may give the problems you describe

sharkbait
    Free Member

Don’t know if it has droplinks but if so they’d be a strong candidate.
    Easy and fairly cheap DIY fix as well.

RustyNissanPrairie

ARB drop link or ARB to body mounts as per Trail rat above or top strut bearing – does it make a ‘twanging/boinging’ noise when turning full lock at low speed?

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Could be any of the above or top Bush of the McPherson strut or broken spring all give the same symptoms in my experience. Your local mechanic will suss it out in a matter of minutes.

jekkyl

Thanks guys. No there’s no noise when turning.

nuke

Watching with interest as my 2011 Yeti has this…on my to-do list

RustyNissanPrairie

Give the wheel a wiggle when holding at 3o clock and 9o clock if nothing then discount track rod inners/ends.

Drop links are consumables, in theory they are easy to do but in practice are a ball ache that usually involve the use of a grinder.

joshvegas
    Free Member

does it make a ‘twanging/boinging’ noise when turning full lock at low speed

I had a twanging bringing noise when I went over bumps.

I looked everywhere but everything was mint… Couldn’t understand it.

Months later find my nephew’s toy ball thing that makes a twangy boingy noise wedged under the driver’s seat.

highlandman
    Free Member

Those suspension link arms on a Passat are very much a consumable item; living down half a mile of farm track, I had to change one or two each year on my previous car, a 2002 Passat estate. The arms are made of alloy and not steel, so ‘spread’ around the bushings over time, leading to the knock that you feel. If you can tolerate it, the noise does little short term harm and is only vital to secure an MOT pass. With 4 links per wheel, there’s plenty to get done as the years roll by….

bigyan
    Free Member

I would stick the front end on axle stands and see what is knocking, drop link, lower ball joint, wishbone bushes, top mounts, track rod ends etc would all be common.

If I was guessing I would say drop links, if you can get an arm under to grab the drop link you can often make them knock with the car on the ground.

Drop links are a good first DIY job, they can spin but you can just cut them off.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Passat: knocking suspension?’ is closed to new replies.